Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    I have a problem with GPS, too. In Maps it simply won't work, and in VZ Navigator it will work for a minute then a message shows "No GPS", and it stops tracking.

I also have a problem where I'll hit a key once and it will show 2 or 3 times on-screen.. is that the same problem you're having with "doubling"?

This is my second Pre. The first one had a bunch of things wrong with it.
    Yes it is the same problem, but I really didn't wanna drag those problems in to this thread as I have a feeling they don't have anything to do with the original subject of this thread. If you search these forums though you can see that lots of other people have similar problems. There are several threads on it.
    Patience people. It will come when it is ready.
    I was just thinking... I don't think 1.4.1 will resolve Verizon's GPS problems. Reason for it being: my GPS had the same problem at 1.3.5.1 and 1.4 and 1.4 was released with a delay on Verizon, presumably because Verizon tests the heck out of each update before putting it out. If that was the case 1.4 wouldn't have broken the GPS as many claim it has. So I don't think Verizon is at all concerned with GPS problem and once 1.4.1 hits our phones we will all see that.

I'm leaning to believe GPS is a hardware problem with most recent batch of Pre Pluses. Heading to Verizon store now to see if that's indeed the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by cgokcea View Post
    I was just thinking... I don't think 1.4.1 will resolve Verizon's GPS problems. Reason for it being: my GPS had the same problem at 1.3.5.1 and 1.4 and 1.4 was released with a delay on Verizon, presumably because Verizon tests the heck out of each update before putting it out. If that was the case 1.4 wouldn't have broken the GPS as many claim it has. So I don't think Verizon is at all concerned with GPS problem and once 1.4.1 hits our phones we will all see that.

I'm leaning to believe GPS is a hardware problem with most recent batch of Pre Pluses. Heading to Verizon store now to see if that's indeed the case.
    i am just saying................................
    The GPS issue annoys me as well, and as far as the update goes my wife has a Moto Droid and their 2.1 update didn't come out until weeks after everybody else got it so I didn't expect it to be any different for us.
    I don't know about you guys but I think Verizon did something today coz my GPS issue is completely fixed. It tracked me spot-on while I was on my way to the Verizon store and back. (and no I didn't have to replace the phone as a result of this) One thing I did differently this time however was to turn GPS off, turn off the phone, remove and replace the battery, turn the phone and GPS on and run Trapster before anything else. I did give phone time to go to presumed GPS sleep after turning it on though and that didn't stop Trapster from getting a lock either. Then I went on to use Minimap and Google Maps on part of my trip back and lock stayed constant.
    I don't know about you guys but I think Verizon did something today coz my GPS issue is completely fixed. It tracked me spot-on while I was on my way to the Verizon store and back. (and no I didn't have to replace the phone as a result of this) One thing I did differently this time however was to turn GPS off, turn off the phone, remove and replace the battery, turn the phone and GPS on and run Trapster before anything else. I did give phone time to go to presumed GPS sleep after turning it on though and that didn't stop Trapster from getting a lock either. Then I went on to use Minimap and Google Maps on part of my trip back and lock stayed constant.
    I just tried and no major improvements for me (but I didn't power cycle and pull the battery). Turn on google maps, with 3G and GPS on, location is about 1 mile off, bring up Verizon Navigator (not a subscriber), minimize, go back to google maps, within a few seconds location is almost dead on. Wait a little bit (1 minute max), the location goes back to the initial inaccurate point. The only difference I saw is that maybe the location stays a little longer before going back...
    Hi ya cgokcea, (yeah, I'm the same old goat from the Verizon forums ), I'm going to give that method a shot - but have to ask what is the rationale behind removing & replacing the battery? Are you simply assuring you get a boot up from a cold iron condition?

TIA,
    -=dave=-
    Quote Originally Posted by liketreo View Post
    I just tried and no major improvements for me (but I didn't power cycle and pull the battery). Turn on google maps, with 3G and GPS on, location is about 1 mile off, bring up Verizon Navigator (not a subscriber), minimize, go back to google maps, within a few seconds location is almost dead on. Wait a little bit (1 minute max), the location goes back to the initial inaccurate point. The only difference I saw is that maybe the location stays a little longer before going back...
    I should probably add that I did not touch VZ Navigator at all after power cycling. So you shouldn't either. Just try a power cycle then proceed as I did... Trapster definitely seems to be more aggressive in grabbing GPS lock.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgeekster View Post
    Hi ya cgokcea, (yeah, I'm the same old goat from the Verizon forums ), I'm going to give that method a shot - but have to ask what is the rationale behind removing & replacing the battery? Are you simply assuring you get a boot up from a cold iron condition?

TIA,
    -=dave=-
    I'm not sure what the rationale is. I would think just turning off the phone would be enough to turn off the radios (or even going into Airplane mode) but apparently there is something about it that helps. I read about doing that here in one of the many threads on the GPS issue. Make sure you turn off GPS before turning off the phone too... and starting it back up after you turn on the phone. Also make sure Google Location Services is turned off throughout. That does nothing but throw you into A-GPS mode and cripple real GPS.
    I'm not sure what the rationale is. I would think just turning off the phone would be enough to turn off the radios (or even going into Airplane mode) but apparently there is something about it that helps. I read about doing that here in one of the many threads on the GPS issue. Make sure you turn off GPS before turning off the phone too... and starting it back up after you turn on the phone. Also make sure Google Location Services is turned off throughout. That does nothing but throw you into A-GPS mode and cripple real GPS.
    Bottom line - tried it - it worked, but only if I did exactly what you recommended, including removing the battery, reinstalling it, etc.! I still had Google Location Services turned on - they worked, I got the typical initial display on Google Maps indicating it was using antenna triangulation - but after about a minute it got a full GPS lock and followed me so closely as I walked around several blocks of my neighborhood it was spooky.

Have now turned A-GPS off and it seems to take around 40-45 seconds to get a lock inside my home - a bit less than that outside.

Don't know why this worked, don't really care - but it is a puzzler to have to go cold iron then bring the system back up. 8)

Again, THANK YOU for passing this one on!
    -=dave=-

(Note to self - lots of vBulletin database errors today)...
    So much for seeing an update for the Pre Plus on Verizon. Now we'll probably be stuck with a broken OS, forcing us to go to a new platform. This stinks!

I really hope Verizon at least gives us GPS fix and the background fix before this ends.
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    So much for seeing an update for the Pre Plus on Verizon. Now we'll probably be stuck with a broken OS, forcing us to go to a new platform. This stinks!

I really hope Verizon at least gives us GPS fix and the background fix before this ends.
    what are you talking about?
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    your all a bunch of whining nanzy pazies in here....
    Come Visit Us at www.parkflyers.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mmm208 View Post
    your all a bunch of whining nanzy pazies in here....
    either you are all .......
    or you're all .....

like this

you are an *****
    or
    you're and *****
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    what are you talking about?
    I think he is talking about the rumor of Palm being bought.

Which has nothing to do with a 1.4.1 update from verizon
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    I think he is talking about the rumor of Palm being bought.

Which has nothing to do with a 1.4.1 update from verizon
    I just thought that the post was incomplete i was asking for more information because as you just stated the 1.4.1 update is supposedly in the hands of verizon and in their own time they will release it -- thought there might be more to his reasoning
    sorry guys... busy at work. Yes, Major Payne was right. With Palm going up for sale, I doubt Verizon will likely put major efforts to finishing this up any quicker.

It's probably the reason behind Verizon going full out selling the Pre/Pixi for so cheap and probably the reason for giving away hotspot for free too. Just clearing out inventory since once the announcement is made, not many will sell.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12