Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    People are excited and love the phone because they keep adding improvements and making it better while you call it catching up. ugh, you look at one point (multitasking) and say catching up but ignore all the other features they have added around it and have yet to announce with the hardware. AND 1500 new APIs for developers!

catching up? uh.... hello? ..... MIC API?
    I used one example to illustrate my point, but when I say "catching up" I'm referring to the rest of the phone industry, not just Palm.

nevertheless, I agree Palm needs to give us those APIs
    Quote Originally Posted by melo View Post
    And you really think palm didn't borrow any of Apples ideas?
    Do tell?
    You guys can bag on Apple, but they are successful for a reason, and it's not because of brainwashing or "sheep". It's because they get the user experience right out of the box, then worry about feature parity later.

The former is way harder to achieve and way more important than the latter. As much as we get geeked off crazy spec sheets promising SuperAMOLED and Snapdragon and 720p video and whatever, the average consumer gets happy picking up a device that works smoothly and intuitively and as advertised.

And in THAT area, everyone is playing catchup to Apple including WebOS/Pre. It's why the iPad is going to smoke much better spec'd tablets and netbooks.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    I can never understand bagging on Apple, they have sold 50m phones, they represent over 60 % of mobile browser usage, they have integration with 3rd parties galore.

It's all about market acceptance, Apple is winning huge and Palm is failing really bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Menace187 View Post
    I'm sure their must of been some type of patent on at least the card multitasking. If not then they wonder why they are in their current situation
    I think windows vista had the card thing before palm did.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blueray View Post
    Exactly! It's incredibly disturbing to watch drones of people just watching apple as if they are deity.

Wake up people! Apple is only catching up at this point. Sure they revolutionized the pda industry with the original iPhone, but they haven't released anything revolutionary in iPhone 4! Yet I'm amazed at even the breath of news reporters covering this story as if it's more important than the end of the world.

It could be out-dated, useless info, but when they all hear it, they cheer and shout for joy because it's Apple! Hooray! Steve Jobs just gave us fake multitasking! Wow! Did you know we can multitask now on our phones?
    well when you think about it. everything apple does is amazing. that ipad sure is impressive.(no flash support, tiny hd, no keyboard, possibly no usb's not sure, and other downfalls i dont know about)

Anyways check out this video. perfect for this thread

Gosh how many 'taps' do you their will be. I never use my center button.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impulsebuyer View Post
    that's the worst excuse for multi tasking I have ever seen, makes me appreciate the Pre that much more!
    Wow yet another webOS user gutted that the iPhone now multitasks. Bar the fact it's an icon and not a card how does it differ that much to the end user?!

I love how everyone rips up Apple here, yet they well and truly blow Palm out of the water. Apple are so big and so successful because they got things right, and they continue to do so. Palm should rip a page, hell, a a few chapters, out of Apple's book.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    A prime example is developer support. Look at Evernote, this is a fantastic app on the iPhone and the iPad version is off the hook. The pre app is terrible, simply because developers are in the business of making money, developing for a small slice isn't worth their time and effort.

It will only get worse.

(off topic)
    On the iPad front, there are some seriously nice apps. Webex, GoToMeeting and logmein work great, even silly apps like weather bug are complete eye candy and highly functional.
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post

(off topic)
    On the iPad front, there are some seriously nice apps. Webex, GoToMeeting and logmein work great, even silly apps like weather bug are complete eye candy and highly functional.
    That's nice. But i have some seriously nice apps on my small laptop. But i can't carry either around in my pocket like i can a phone. So let's keep the talk about phones? Actual mobile devices?
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cardfan View Post
    That's nice. But i have some seriously nice apps on my small laptop. But i can't carry either around in my pocket like i can a phone. So let's keep the talk about phones? Actual mobile devices?

Ok, put those apps on your Pre, you already can on an iPhone.

Double edged sword, without market, no devs, without devs no market.
  12.    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeep View Post
    Gosh how many 'taps' do you their will be. I never use my center button.
    yeah that is my problem with it, watching the video on the second site I linked you can see the user has trouble multiple times trying to get the double click timed to get multitasking up and running

I think Apple would have chosen "hold down the button" if Android hadn't already taken it, but I guess that is what happens when you are late to the party - you either copy it exactly or find the 3rd or 4th best way to do something.
    from yesterday- woot.com discussion of the new iPhone OS4

>>
    ...But what can we expect today?

(my favorite)New iPhone OS allows you to connect to three other iPhones to form an iPad

"Regular" cell phones receiving calls from the new iPhone will automatically ring with "An iPhone is calling you. This must be important."

"Free John Hodgman" app allows you to contribute toward buying out his Apple contract
    OS 4.0 disables buggy, inefficient phone app

Liquid Sugar Crystal Display screen can be cracked open and eaten in wilderness survival situations

Instead of being repaired, malfunctioning iPhones will be reassigned to new users by the Vatican

Aome kind of tie-in with Bono or whatever, nobody really cares, it just shuts him up for a few more years

Preloaded with 25 head of FarmVille livestock

Periodically receives personal calls from Luke Wilson to assure you that your map is adequate

New e-book reader comes with copy of Cory Doctorow's Little Brother already pre-deleted

Got two million from the CIA to distract everyone from what's happening at wikileaks

Carb-free iPad comes with two slices of bacon instead of a shell

Apple just wanted to say happy birthday to Biz Markie

More at:
    http://www.woot.com/Forums/ViewPost.aspx?PostID=3882563

That's funny, I don't care who you are...
    Last edited by Cantaffordit; 04/09/2010 at 01:01 PM.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12