Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    or maybe HTC is meeting with Ruby to make the hardware for their webos phone so people can have a more reliable and robust "Prime" come July. I only hope this is the case.

I think if Palm tries to spend the money making a more reliable/robust phone, they won't have much for anything else. HTC takes a portion of the profits, so Palm can get webos into the hands of even more users. Once sales go back up, then bring it back in house, or someone buys someone else.
    You know, now that I think about it more, if HTC were to buy Palm, they would get all of Palm's patents, thus the lawsuit from Apple may just "go away".
    Quote Originally Posted by sf_basilix View Post
    You know, now that I think about it more, if HTC were to buy Palm, they would get all of Palm's patents, thus the lawsuit from Apple may just "go away".
    The lawsuit won't go away b/c it specifically mentions each phone by name and the patent violated. That is a very smart end around by Apple's lawyers.

So if HTC were to purchase Palm, Palm's patent portfolio would not help them with the current lawsuit. It may give HTC a little leverage but Apple has more leverage b/c of the way the suit is written. So HTC could counter but the merits of the case rest on the phones mentioned and whether those phones violated Apple's patents.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    Take note (Disclaimer: Clearly this could be just a coincidence, and probably is so file this under 'PARANOID')

Palm dev members (there are 10+) are curiously silent on the Palm Dev forums and twitter this A.M. They are usually abuzz with postings and off topic tweets.

UPDATE: There is now some Palm chat in the forums...back to work everyone!
    Last edited by mikeh20; 04/09/2010 at 11:17 AM.
    Rumor is now on MarketWatch woohoo.....

Link

SAN FRANCISCO (MarketWatch) - Technology stocks posted modest gains Friday morning, as shares of Palm Inc. soared more than 10% on a Chinese media report that cell phone maker HTC is interested in a possible acquisition. The Nasdaq Composite Index gained 3 points, or 0.1%, to 2,440. The Philadelphia Semiconductor Index was up 0.6%, while the Morgan Stanley High Tech 35 Index added 0.2%.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    In technology, it's not only common for companies to compete with their customers, they frequently partner with their competition. It's all part of being a diverse company.
    Tell us more, Mr. Technology.
    I think what we're seeing is simply market reaction to the fact that the stock is currently undervalued. It's only worthless if Palm runs everything into the ground. So any little hint that Palm might either be successful or might sell is an excuse for the stock to pop back up again.
    If htc doesn't acquire them, I see the next palm phone being made by htc. They have proven that they are the leading phone manufacturer. I think this would be a great move by palm. Build quality is a big factor on why people leave webos. I have left twice and always come back because of webos. This prooves that palm got something right.

htc does have it's fair share of phones that didn't hold up over time but every manufacture has. The quality has gotten better over time. I had a htc touch and that phone was built like a tank. The only phone that really disappointed was the touch pro. Htc fixed all those issues with the tp2. I have had all these phones personally and problems aside, I would still choose htc over all the other companies.
    Quote Originally Posted by playboy View Post
    The lawsuit won't go away b/c it specifically mentions each phone by name and the patent violated. That is a very smart end around by Apple's lawyers.

So if HTC were to purchase Palm, Palm's patent portfolio would not help them with the current lawsuit. It may give HTC a little leverage but Apple has more leverage b/c of the way the suit is written. So HTC could counter but the merits of the case rest on the phones mentioned and whether those phones violated Apple's patents.
    All suits have to be structured this way--pointing at specific events, in this case specific infringements. So, I'm not sure what your point is here. The value to having all of Palm's patents (and, arguably, the reason Apple hasn't sued Palm) is that the holders of Palm's significant patent portfolio could turn around and counter sue Apple for all of its violations. And indeed, HTC will likely counter Apple in any case for Apple's infringements (if any) of HTC patents.

That's when the lawyers start sitting down in a room and hashing things out. The case would only go to court if one side perceives much greater strength.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    All suits have to be structured this way--pointing at specific events, in this case specific infringements. So, I'm not sure what your point is here. The value to having all of Palm's patents (and, arguably, the reason Apple hasn't sued Palm) is that the holders of Palm's significant patent portfolio could turn around and counter sue Apple for all of its violations. And indeed, HTC will likely counter Apple in any case for Apple's infringements (if any) of HTC patents.

That's when the lawyers start sitting down in a room and hashing things out. The case would only go to court if one side perceives much greater strength.
    This was actually my thought in my original post, so thanks! I agree. If HTC purchases Palm, Apple might win their specific lawsuit, but Palm can now counter suit and make a whole lot more. People have either forgotten or just don't realize how many patents palm has. If Palm had enough money to sue, they could really make Apple sweat.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234