Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    htc is awesome. best build quality of any handsets that i know of, and that includes iphone
    I heard this myself. Don't expect it to be a straight buyout. Maybe a license for webOS though or maybe an HTC built palm phone. Would split the profits between palm and HTC. Much like google and the N1. Google branded but built by HTC.

Also, it would help with HTC's patent case if they were to buy them out and own palms patents.

We shall wait and see
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Why would they just throw away the best (at least one of the best) mobile operating system around? Even if they sell 2 million Pre 2's a year, like Pre 1 in its first year, it will be a good selling phone for them. Manufacturers can benefit from having their own OS. Better integration, selling apps, making your own OS design choices, etc..
    Your preaching to the choir on this one. I agree, will HTC? Right now HTC essentially get both their OS' for free (at lest until W7 is released) and then add an overlay to it. In all likelihood this is considerably cheaper than developing and maintaining their own OS.

I'm hoping HTC see the wisdom in having their own OS and owning their own destiny so to speak but they could also take the view that having their own OS along with developing interfaces for Android and building W7 phones would be too much for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post
    i'm just saying if no one buys them out or merge, they can only last for another year or so before they are done.
    Sorry, that's a very limited "analysis". That's based on their current "burn rate". That rate could decrease if their sales improve, and actually even turn into profit.

By the same token the burn rate could increase if sales drop off.

Either way, it's entirely too simplified to state that "if no one buys them out or merge, they can only last for another year".
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    Your preaching to the choir on this one. I agree, will HTC? Right now HTC essentially get both their OS' for free (at lest until W7 is released) and then add an overlay to it. In all likelihood this is considerably cheaper than developing and maintaining their own OS.

I'm hoping HTC see the wisdom in having their own OS and owning their own destiny so to speak but they could also take the view that having their own OS along with developing interfaces for Android and building W7 phones would be too much for them.
    A third market though would be handy especially considering they are ramping up production of the existing phones. More money for R&D as well as keeping the existing webos users happy.

But I don't think it is a straight takeover as I mentioned before.
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    So far we've had Rim and Lenovo buying Palm and now HTC. I wonder who is next?
    The company that makes the "Snuggie."
    Quote Originally Posted by sracercelica View Post
    HTC buying Palm would be TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    HTC is making a lot of money on Android right now, and hopes to make money on Phone 7. They would not help themselves by owning WebOS and competing with their customers. I believe it unlikely.
    You obviously did own a Touch Pro. HTC has hardware issues too. Trust me.
    Quote Originally Posted by vicvon View Post
    I think an HTC WebOS device would be awesome. They make some of the best hardware around and instead of putting Android on this great hardware, they would use WebOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    HTC is making a lot of money on Android right now, and hopes to make money on Phone 7. They would not help themselves by owning WebOS and competing with their customers. I believe it unlikely.
    Maybe you missed it when Apple sued HTC over copyright infringement and HTC lacked the patent catalog to issue a counter suit. If they had Palm's extensive catalog of patents Apple wouldn't dare lay a finger on HTC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom2Ninjas View Post
    You obviously did own a Touch Pro. HTC has hardware issues too. Trust me.
    Take a look at the nexus one support page for that proof. Inactive touchscreens seems to be the norm
    Quote Originally Posted by meriwether View Post
    In technology, it's not only common for companies to compete with their customers, they frequently partner with their competition. It's all part of being a diverse company.
    HTC all the way, well maybe license
    Palm and HTC already have an established partnership. Treo Pro ring a bell? Just because the two are in talks doesn't necessarily mean a buyout..
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Palm and HTC already have an established partnership. Treo Pro ring a bell? Just because the two are in talks doesn't necessarily mean a buyout..
    So true. Could just be that HTC is helping design the next Palm device, and will be manufacturing it. And I'll speak for the group and promise not to read anything into your response.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    So true. Could just be that HTC is helping design the next Palm device, and will be manufacturing it. And I'll speak for the group and promise not to read anything into your response.
    Probably a good thing, I didn't get to be part of the "meeting."
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    That is what it must be, Htc helping palm design the next preII
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    I really Palm will not sell to HTC. I believe Palm keep strong marketshare and create really great new devices. Palm = Palm not Palm + HTC...
    Quote Originally Posted by glenada View Post
    The company that makes the "Snuggie."
    They could have a special snuggy with a phone holder built into the chest like a pocket protector lol
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Palm's stock is currently resting at the $5.10-$5.20 level in Premarket this early morning, this is up an additional 10% over yesterday.

Obviously, things change moment to moment. Just keeping people informed.
    I, for one, am waiting anxiously for the rumours to fall through (like always) and for the stock to plummit... so I can buy a wack load in anticipation for the massive spike the new handset announcement will cause.

Easy money, baby.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast