Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jaykimdotnet View Post
    Look at how mere speculation that Rim might acquire Palm boosted Palm's stock. If it were a reality the future of Palm and HTC would appear to be limitless.
    Palm stock rose on rumors of an acquisition because people want to cash in on the premium that an acquisition would bring. It's pure speculation on the acquisition itself, not on Palm's future prospects.

In short, an acquisition rumor can drive up stock prices even if it's certain that the company will be dismantled and its assets sold outright. The purchasers of the stock simply assume that the acquisition is imminent and will be done at something close to the current going stock price plus a premium.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    Palm isn't be sold, bought out, or going anywhere.

Lackys should just understand that and move on to bashing another company. Our CEO is on a steady road and knows exactly what he wants to do. And selling the company is NOT one of them in his mind ever.
    That is what we said at Washington Mutual before the government take over. See where WaMu is now?
    Quote Originally Posted by mitsueks View Post
    That is what we said at Washington Mutual before the government take over. See where WaMu is now?
    Washington Mutual is a hole different ball game, palm was a dead company before it was taken over by new management already. Its too early in the game to even think it will die out this quickly. Yes I fully aggree that one day it could hit us but that day is FAR from today.

Washington Mutual wasn't a dead company at any point, it was a company struggling in the current ecomony that needed a bailout or else it would crash along with ALL the other related banks. Different league all together.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Palm stock rose on rumors of an acquisition because people want to cash in on the premium that an acquisition would bring. It's pure speculation on the acquisition itself, not on Palm's future prospects.

In short, an acquisition rumor can drive up stock prices even if it's certain that the company will be dismantled and its assets sold outright. The purchasers of the stock simply assume that the acquisition is imminent and will be done at something close to the current going stock price plus a premium.
    Exactly. I posed that the response to HTC actually acquiring or even partnering with Palm would cause an exponentially greater rise. Freeing them up to make babies together.
    just a reality check palm burned 100M+ 4th Quarter, with the 590M they have left they have about a year left to turn things around or go out of business. You think analysts are stupid and they downgrade palm to $0 for no reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post
    just a reality check palm burned 100M+ 4th Quarter, with the 590M they have left they have about a year left to turn things around or go out of business. You think analysts are stupid and they downgrade palm to $0 for no reason.
    Palm won't go out of business, they have waaaay too many patents. They'll either get acquired or they'll partner with another company. Those patents are way too attractive to let them fold.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaykimdotnet View Post
    Palm won't go out of business, they have waaaay too many patents. They'll either get acquired or they'll partner with another company. Those patents are way too attractive to let them fold.
    i'm just saying if no one buys them out or merge, they can only last for another year or so before they are done.
    Quote Originally Posted by gselsidi View Post
    i'm just saying if no one buys them out or merge, they can only last for another year or so before they are done.
    Understood. You realize your sentiment isn't new, right? You wonder why no one really doomcasts all that much, we're not deluded, we just like to jump on positive news and speculate on what the possibilities are in lieu of the doom and gloom that we're all more than aware of. Not to single you out, there are more than a few people chiming in with their own cloud of doom, unfortunately that doom gong has been rung over and over again and frankly some tentative optimism does not need to be discouraged at this point.
    I've been posting for months on how I thought that HTC would be hands down, the best fit for a merger with Palm. The hottest handsets on the market right now are all made by HTC. The Hero, Nexus One, HD2, Touch Pro 2, and now the upcoming EVO 4G.
    Either one of these devices running WebOS = the best smartphone ever produced... period.
    I, for one, don't want to see Palm be bought out either, but a merger could be the best thing to ever happen to both companies. The best hardware running the best OS.
    I think the brand name "HTC Palm" has a nice ring to it.
    The Saint
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    You're completely wrong. It all should have been ready yesterday.
    Dang. I haven't bought 'em yet, and I'm aleady a fail...
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Please HTC, a Xperia X1 with capacitive touch and webOS. We know you made it..

The build quality of that phone sucked. I know, I had one. The keyboard suffered from the double-letter/no-letter many Pre users experience & cracks in the plastic. It "felt" nice though.
    It makes sense, they can use the Palm acquisition to shield themselves from Apple.
    Global Posts
    521 Global Posts
    Wasn't Apple in the exact same place years ago?
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emuneee View Post
    The build quality of that phone sucked. I know, I had one. The keyboard suffered from the double-letter/no-letter many Pre users experience & cracks in the plastic. It "felt" nice though.
    I had one too. Never had any problems with it. Never heard about the keyboard problems either. Did hear about the cracks in plastic though. That's the only problem with that phone. They should have made it 100% metal, no plastic on the back.

I'm probably gonna get one again for cheap and put Android on it (for developing). It's still a great phone. Hi-res, full qwerty, metal..
    Has anyone here ever owned an HTC device before? It baffles me how people get a chub over "great HTC hardware".

Hell, the only reason I have a Pre now is b/c my Touch Pro **** the bed...and it still probably holds the crown of most returned device in Sprint history. I was one of the lucky ones. My TP only died once and it sent me into the wonderful land of webOS. Others went into the double digits before Sprint finally said "**** it, take ANY OTHER SMARTPHONE we offer as long as it isn't another Touch Pro!"

And that is pretty much what happened. I couldve gotten a Tour, a Hero, a TP2...but I chose the Pre...luckily.

So before everyone wishes for an HTC buyout, just remember, Pre owners are actually pretty lucky when it comes to hardware.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Budgetmedic View Post
    Has anyone here ever owned an HTC device before? It baffles me how people get a chub over "great HTC hardware".

Hell, the only reason I have a Pre now is b/c my Touch Pro **** the bed...and it still probably holds the crown of most returned device in Sprint history. I was one of the lucky ones. My TP only died once and it sent me into the wonderful land of webOS. Others went into the double digits before Sprint finally said "**** it, take ANY OTHER SMARTPHONE we offer as long as it isn't another Touch Pro!"

And that is pretty much what happened. I couldve gotten a Tour, a Hero, a TP2...but I chose the Pre...luckily.

So before everyone wishes for an HTC buyout, just remember, Pre owners are actually pretty lucky when it comes to hardware.
    Touch Pro was a long long time ago in a world of Nexus Ones, HTC Desires and EVOs.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emuneee View Post
    Yeah but if it was made with decent build quality it would be a sweet looking Pre2

I'm not sure how I feel about HTC - if they take the best elements of SenseUI and merge it with WebOS I'd be more than fine with it - my worry is that HTC will just absorb the patents Palm owns and stick with Android and W7 devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by bruba View Post
    Touch Pro was a long long time ago in a world of Nexus Ones, HTC Desires and EVOs.

Perhaps. However, my memory is not that short. My Pre has been solid. My TP was not. It will take a little while before HTC regains my trust.

Not just that, but since Ive had the Pre, I have heard of other HTC phones, like the Hero and Nexus One, having build quality issues. That doesnt inspire confidence!
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ranzchic View Post
    It makes sense, they can use the Palm acquisition to shield themselves from Apple.
    +1. Exactly, they'd buy Palm purely for the patents. Then Apple would probably drop the lawsuit against them.
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by solarus View Post
    I'm not sure how I feel about HTC - if they take the best elements of SenseUI and merge it with WebOS I'd be more than fine with it - my worry is that HTC will just absorb the patents Palm owns and stick with Android and W7 devices.
    Why would they just throw away the best (at least one of the best) mobile operating system around? Even if they sell 2 million Pre 2's a year, like Pre 1 in its first year, it will be a good selling phone for them. Manufacturers can benefit from having their own OS. Better integration, selling apps, making your own OS design choices, etc..
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast