Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    "What kind of phone is that?!?"

That's the biggest problem with the Pre today in a nutshell.

I've had this phone nearly since launch day, and I've experienced all of the fun issues many of us early adopters came to love (multiple replacements for screen shattering, oreo effect, nasty people at sprint, etc). Fast forwarding to the present I am currently very happy with my Pre, it seem sturdier then my previous Pre's and it hasn't broken, even my sprint experience has improved. I'm officially a fan again against all odds who's willing to recommend the pre or pre plus... In all this time, and in a very public relations role, -nobody- I've met has any idea what kind of phone I'm using.

I'll be sitting there running multiple apps, flipping around taking care of some business, jotting down some notes, and someone watching me will ask the big question. "What kind of phone is that?!?" Say what you will about the Iphone, but they did a -really- good job making sure everyone knew exactly what it was and what it looked like. The pre? I may as well be holding a river rock until I turn it on and start playing with it (and then it might as well be alien technology, people are amazed at the capabilities). It flys under the radar and I've -never- had someone say "oh cool, that's a palm pre". It's no wonder Palm is having trouble getting them off the ground at verizion etc. People don't even know it exists. I suppose that's a failure in advertising. It's a shame too, because I'd consider this phone to be tops among the current hardware offerings (and that's not even mentioning their incredible support of the homebrew community). I'll be unhappy if the Pre is Palm's last great handset.
    Be prepared for ppl to blame this on the fact that it was released on sprint....and that verizon sales ppl shoot it down.

All of that aside....I agree 100%. No one knows what kinda phone I have short of any serious tech nerds.
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    When people ask my what kind of phone I have and I tell them they always say things like "I heard the build quality is poor" and then I tell them that my phone is 10 months old and is holding up quite well, no oreo, no cracked screen, no dead pixels, no nada. I love this phone, best phone that I have ever owned. Dido for my kids Pre's too.
    Quote Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
    Say what you will about the Iphone, but they did a -really- good job making sure everyone knew exactly what it was and what it looked like. The pre? I may as well be holding a river rock until I turn it on and start playing with it (and then it might as well be alien technology, people are amazed at the capabilities).
    +1

The Pre plus looks slick, but they really should've made the design more intuitive. Perhaps adding some arrows or even a home graphic to the gesture area that suggests there are actually functions under the screen.

I can imagine a customer walking into Verizon playing with the Pre with a quizzical look thinking, "this is pretty slick, so how do I go to the home screen?" Then a sales rep promptly comes by to sell the Droid on how "simple" it is to use, when in reality, webOS is quite possibly one of the most user-friendly OS's ever.
    +1 i had an interview and the guy interviewing me asked hey what kinda phone is that.... i showed him and he's like ohhhhh like the iphone.... .:face palm:.

my neighbors hot sister was hitting on me so i asked for her number, i pull out my phone and she's like "hey what phone is that?"

so yea i feel you 100%
    I get that all the time. I just say "If you have to ask, you can't have one". It's fun watching folks beg.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I get that all the time. I just say "If you have to ask, you can't have one". It's fun watching folks beg.
    LM-MF-AO im trying that next time
    Yea I am going to have to agree, just a month ago I didn't really care about the Pre. I like to play with the display phones randomly and the first time I saw the Pre in real life, I thought, Oooo it looks like a little rock. As I tried to work the phone, I noticed I couldn't get to other Apps like the phone or messaging (it happened to be on the web app).

It was actually frustrating untill my hand slid over the gesture area and it moved back. My Initial reaction to the little light was,WTH was that! (lol) Some sort of indication that something is there would have been great.
    one day everyone will know about palm,and the webos system. (smile)
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I laughed so hard. Definitely my next response.
    The strange thing is, everyone has known what phone it is over here. No remarks either. Seems to me us in the UK are more aware of the phone. Heck even my blackberry using friends are pretty envious of it.
    Holy crap, i get that all the time! Today, after the iPhone "multitasking" announcement, I showed an iPhone toting co-worker just how WebOS handles true multi-tasking. He'd never even seen the operating system of the Pre. He admitted that it was pretty damn cool. It just shows that iPhone people think that their phone is the only smartphone that exists. It's actually the only one most of them understand.
    I get this a lot to. My good friends know about my phone and they all even like it and compliment it, even though most of them have blackberrys. Anyone else that asks me about it seems pretty clueless. Most people really have no idea what it is. They get so confused at the notion of a touchscreen and a keyboard. I have even had one person ask me, "hey is that the new palm treo" /facepalm
    I got the "what phone is that" today myself, for the first time w/ my Pre. Odd thing though, is he said he looked at the Palm pre a few months ago and said was slow and clunky. After showing it to him today, he's going to back to look again.
    Quote Originally Posted by sjholland87 View Post
    The strange thing is, everyone has known what phone it is over here. No remarks either. Seems to me us in the UK are more aware of the phone. Heck even my blackberry using friends are pretty envious of it.
    That's because Jobs isn't British. If he were, you guys would be iPhone iSland, and Palm stock would be at $25 in the US.
    yeah +1, i had a lot of people ask and are surprised about the cool cards, its a shame that no one knows what this is
    i get the same question all the time :/ but from the people that dont even know what an iphone is ahhaha.
    Palm should sue Sprint for not allowing their employees to use the phone for the first 5 months. What the f was that all about? The best people to showcase the product is the employees. BIG MISTAKE SPRINT AND PALM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sk999 View Post
    Palm should sue Sprint for not allowing their employees to use the phone for the first 5 months. What the f was that all about? The best people to showcase the product is the employees. BIG MISTAKE SPRINT AND PALM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    +1 dude, how stupid was that. Thinking about it on other phones that i bought their was at least 1 person that worked their that had the phone that i might of been interested in, and was willing to let you play with it. Major selling point cause of the dummy phones at start.
    Very stupid. It was funny, the employees were walking around boasting about the instinct when they had the pre in front of there stupid faces for five months. ***!!!!!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast