Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pawdog View Post
    In my area there is pretty much just Verizon and ATT. So Iphone got a foot hold early. Even though I don't really see that many. I have the only Palm Pre so far. Just over a week. Of course I have Zunes too. For the last two years and people still ask, "what kind of Ipod is that?".

I think people just know about what they see advertised. I don't even see that people differentiate smart phone from any other phone except one cost more and it has internet. The other doesn't. That's pretty much what I thought.
    This applies-- pretty much word-for-word-- to my area as well.
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    Quote Originally Posted by pawdog View Post
    In my area there is pretty much just Verizon and ATT. So Iphone got a foot hold early. Even though I don't really see that many. I have the only Palm Pre so far. Just over a week. Of course I have Zunes too. For the last two years and people still ask, "what kind of Ipod is that?".

I think people just know about what they see advertised. I don't even see that people differentiate smart phone from any other phone except one cost more and it has internet. The other doesn't. That's pretty much what I thought.
    I think a lot of people that aren't techies or know too much about this stuff tend to use "ipod" or "iphone" to describe the device because they don't know what else to call it. Apple has done a fantastic marketing job on their devices - hence making their product the default generic description for a "music device" or "smartphone"...

Kinda like how Sony rolled out the Walkman so many years ago and people referred to any portable device that played cd's or tapes as a Walkman, regardless of brand. Not everyone is really concerned with being so specific when naming a device.. just throw out the first brand that is in the forefront of their consciousness - basically, Apple saturated advertising and marketing so much that their product names are what they refer to in describing devices...
    Everyone knows what an iPhone looks like, and all the Android phones look like the same big brick with buttons.
    I am hoping if they put out a new design its as equally eye catching and pleasing to look at.
    Say what you will about the build quality but visually it is an appealing phone.
    I did have a funny experience yesterday with the Pre. I was reading the news while sitting in our company cafe and one of my co wokers came in with her 8 and 10 year old daughters. The 10 year old saw the Pre and said, "Uh, is that the Pre?".

"Yep", I say... a little confused.

"I have that same phone" she says. "Well, actually, mine is the Plus. Yours is on Sprint." She says with a condescending tone.

Well, I have been put in my place by a 10 year old Pre owner. Cool.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    I did have a funny experience yesterday with the Pre. I was reading the news while sitting in our company cafe and one of my co wokers came in with her 8 and 10 year old daughters. The 10 year old saw the Pre and said, "Uh, is that the Pre?".

"I have that same phone" she says. "Well, actually, mine is the Plus. Yours is on Sprint." She says with a condescending tone.

Way too cool. Slightly off-topic, but somewhat related to your post. When I owned a computer store, my (then) 5 year old daughter would sit in the store playing with the computers we specialized in (20 years ago - we sold IBM compatibles, but that wasn't our "specialty").

Folks would walk in, see her using the computer, and frequently I'd hear "I want to buy what she's using".

Even at 5, she started hitting me up to put her on the payroll.
    Last edited by hparsons; 04/14/2010 at 02:55 PM.
    most people today only know of 3 smartphones
    1) iphone
    2) droid (due to verizons ad blitz)
    3) blackberry (except nobody knows the exact model)

also most people do not understand the concept of android. they just cannot understand that it is an os that runs on multiple platforms.
    LMAO!

I did have

a funny experience yesterday with the Pre. I was reading the news while sitting in our company cafe and one of my co wokers came in with her 8 and 10 year old daughters. The 10 year old saw the Pre and said, "Uh, is that the Pre?".

Quote Originally Posted by hockey4life0099 View Post
    most people today only know of 3 smartphones
    1) iphone
    2) droid (due to verizons ad blitz)
    3) blackberry (except nobody knows the exact model)
    People used to think my Treo 755p was a BlackBerry all the time...
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
    These days marketing is "All or Nothing". And nothing isn't an option. Anything less than All gets you nowhere. I've had this Pre for 8 months, have had no issues with it and can count on one hand how many other Pre's I've seen. Palm's webos rocks, just gotta get some major marketing done. If they don't it's either because there's another Palm product on deck or they've given up on huge profits being generated from the Pre.

Quote Originally Posted by callderek View Post
    LMAO!
    The funnest part was the only retort I had was, "Well, my phone plan is cheaper." Might as well have said, "Well at least I am taller than you". Would have done just as much good.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    The biggest thing I have is that they compare the phone to the iPhone and nag on its size, lack of apps, and not as responsive touchscreen and then they shoot down multitasking.
    I get that alot too, people ask em what phone is that? im like palm pre....Yeah ....but what make is it? ...PALM....what the heck is that??!! .... u no like how u get nokia, samsungs, blackberrys.....Ohhhhh.... and dats it, after that u get an awkward silence...i think this has happened to me 10 times now lol
    ya while it is true that allot of people don't know much about the pre I still think Palms biggest problem is the ****ty built quality, I mean if you hold a droid or a HTC Hero and then pick up the pre it feels like total garbege and on top of the feel all the other problems that have been mentioned. Remember a average consumer will replace their phone once or twice at the most before dumping the phone and I've had 6 Palm Pres.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    When people ask my what kind of phone I have and I tell them they always say things like "I heard the build quality is poor" and then I tell them that my phone is 10 months old and is holding up quite well, no oreo, no cracked screen, no dead pixels, no nada. I love this phone, best phone that I have ever owned. Dido for my kids Pre's too.
    Yes, just because your phone is in good shape must mean that Palm's reputation for building a crappy product is completely false.

Whoever made that comment to you about build quality said if for a reason...
    and whether a majority of phones are good or a majority are crap...
    perception is reality in this case, my friend.

Palm's build quality in the beginning sucked... and it hurt their product greatly.
    The end.
    Last edited by ejohnnyk; 04/14/2010 at 08:00 PM.
    This is all so true. Palm just dropped the ball on marketing this thing. Why weren't there commercials leading up to its launch? It should have been all over the television for a good month prior to launch. Heck, you still don't see hardly any commercials for it. I think Palm could still get people on board if they put together some REALLY savvy commercials. Then, it launched on a Saturday. Why? Like most of you, I agree that the Pre (Plus in my case) is a much better device than the iPhone (both functionally and aesthetically) but almost nobody knows it exists.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcren001 View Post
    At least there are three Pre's in Miami then. Whenever I see someone with a Pre, they become a better person in my eyes.
    Make that 7 Pre's in Miami! I got me, my wife, my best bud and his girl to all get a Pre when they came out. Trust when I say some growing pains there but all are happy at this point because Palm has come a long way in tweaking the OS.
    In a meeting yesterday, 1 Nokia dumb phone user who hadn't managed to get any of her music onto it in the 2 months she'd owned it and an LG Viewty user looking for a new, non iPhone, touchscreen phone. Showed them the Pre and they both asked who made it, when I said Palm they both thought all Palm made was Palm Pilot PDAs. Both loved it after they'd had a quick play and the LG user was going to check 02 out for deals on one.
    Quote Originally Posted by knobbysideup View Post
    Without being too pushy about it, my gf, who is currently living in california bought a pre after having seen mine, and is loving it. Her favorite part is flicking away notifications and cards. "Begone!"
    My next thought on that is "Get thee hence!"
    Palm m130 Zire 72s Treo 700p Pre Plus
    lol I don't have those issues as much, but then again I have 5 different ppl that I know which own palm pres. So it's a welll known device...even amongst the ihone users. But it's not recognized till ppl see me typing on it
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    I know exactly what you guys mean. I've owned my Treo Pro since launch day for Bell Canada, and I haven't seen a single soul with it until last week. Throughout that whole period, I haven't once seen another Pre user. I bought a Pre a few days ago, and, I fear that my Treo Pro will grow dusty on my desk forever ;P.WebOS is completely awesome.

People automatically associate Palm products with their old bulky Pilot's. I've gotten nothing by "oooh"'s and "ahhhh"'s from all of my friends. My blackberry ****** friends are even drooling over how slick this phone is.

This is seriously the iPhone killer, but, it doesn't stand a chance in the general market in comparison to the iphone giant. This is a beautiful machine, especially after being overclocked to 800mhz.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast