Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    i get this a lot....but problem is ppl think i got an iphone....and bc ppl barely have palm pre's here in miami....my friends that r iphone arses they all make fun that they only c iphones and me and my girl r the only with pre's but in reality i dont care i love my pre
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

I'm just going to tell people from now on that it is the new iphone, and they can go to any verizon or sprint stone and ask for code name pre lol
    Quote Originally Posted by maxima2k53 View Post
    i get this a lot....but problem is ppl think i got an iphone....and bc ppl barely have palm pre's here in miami....my friends that r iphone arses they all make fun that they only c iphones and me and my girl r the only with pre's but in reality i dont care i love my pre
    At least there are three Pre's in Miami then. Whenever I see someone with a Pre, they become a better person in my eyes.
    I don't think there's anything anybody can do about it. Apple is a phenomenon. Half a million people have bought an iPad without a single tv ad or even knowing what they were going to do with it. Droid had a huge ad campaign and I've seen even fewer of those than I have the Pre.
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sjholland87 View Post
    The strange thing is, everyone has known what phone it is over here. No remarks either. Seems to me us in the UK are more aware of the phone. Heck even my blackberry using friends are pretty envious of it.
    I have never seen a palm pre in the wild, I work in and research mobility and have never come across one neither have any of my contacts.
    I was on a flight from Atlanta to Dallas the other day and was playing with my Pre in the window, hence the avatar I have now, 447 MPH. We're up in 1st class and a guy asks me is that a Pre? I tell him yes and turns out he has a Pixi through VZW....its so bad even a Pixi owner didn't recognize the Pre. He didn't even know his Pixi could shoot video.

This IS about brand recognition but it takes time a savvy marketing campaign and millions of $$ of advertising, the likes of which Apple has no equal. They consider their upcoming products logical extensions of previous products; easily identifiable and recognizable no matter which version of the hardware you have. You look at their product and you know instantly who manufactured it.

Pre will never reach that point, ever. They suffered from the horrible launch and advertising. You looked at the ad and all you saw was "creepy pasty white girl", which didn't lend itself to sales.

Now VZW is dumping the phone; a Pre for $49.99 and a second one free? And the Pixi for half that? Sounds like VZW is done with the Pre/Pixi and they want to clear out their inventory.

Palm should get out of the handset business and stick with the software. They could devote their entire R/D base to fixing and polishing the O/S which is arguably vastly superior to the exalted iphone O/S and sell it, ala the droid platform.

No one speaks nicely of the hardware but they acknowledge the software is the key point. Palm should learn from that.
    You know what's weird? From most adults I got "what phone is that?", except Chassidic Jews. The most Pres I ever saw in one room was at a big Lubavitch event.

The other person who recognized it right away was a 6th grade girl, a friend of my kid's. "Oooh! A Pre!"
    Global Posts
    330 Global Posts
    I've gotten that from people. And from the IT crew at the office it was, " wow, you're the first person I've seen that with" that was a few months ago and I've had it since launch day.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    When people ask my what kind of phone I have and I tell them they always say things like "I heard the build quality is poor" and then I tell them that my phone is 10 months old and is holding up quite well, no oreo, no cracked screen, no dead pixels, no nada. I love this phone, best phone that I have ever owned. Dido for my kids Pre's too.
    True story and it's the first time I've experience this; I brought my son to Best Buy to renew his 2-year contract. The employee showed my son a few different upgrade phones that were on displayed and out-of-the-blue he pointed to the Palm Pre and said 'Best smart phone here' too bad no one knows. Now, we have two Pres in our house...
    Global Posts
    158 Global Posts
    I've experienced the complete opposite, I get it probably once a week:

1. Some mention of how attractive the phone is
    2. They can't resist it's pebbleness and ask to see it in their hands
    3. I let them struggle with learning to start/opening the phone
    4. I let them struggle with the OS
    5. I teach them how to use it in 10 seconds tops
    6. Finally they don't give it back for a few minutes and giggle as they toss apps around

I don't think there's anything anybody can do about it. Apple is a phenomenon. Half a million people have bought an iPad without a single tv ad or even knowing what they were going to do with it. Droid had a huge ad campaign and I've seen even fewer of those than I have the Pre.
    LMFAO too true.
    Last edited by grynv; 04/09/2010 at 09:56 AM.
    When my friends & family saw I had a new phone, they asked if it was the Palm Pre I'd been yammering about for months ... hee hee! My daughter likes her Droid, and agrees that the Pre is better for me because I like advanced features & she mainly uses SMS & Facebook. She also showed me how to clear the memory WHEN apps lock up, & I said I don't have that because the app leaves memory when I fling it upwards. She thinks that's much more fun, of course ... and I've not had the too many cards error so far.
    Palm m130 Zire 72s Treo 700p Pre Plus
    People have a short memory these days, once upon a time the MOTO StarTAC was the hottest phone on the market. It was released in 1996 and everybody had one. Most people now don't even remember that phone. Now a days things move very quickly and if your not in the public consciousness, you might as well not exist. There are only a few current offerings from Palm at the moment so most people don't think Palm.

I believe once the Pre and Pixi are released on AT&T this will change.
    "Patience, use the force, think." Obi-Wan

Ready to try Preware? Get this first: Preware Homebrew Documentation
    Quote Originally Posted by r-nice View Post
    Cool, thanks for pointing out my mistype
    Everyone of my co-workers who have seen this phone were like "what is it?" and thought it was really cool. I had one friend at work who's kind of against new tech and stuff, and was actually really interested in the phone. This is completely the opposite to his reaction seeing my Curve back in January of 09.

Anytime I have the opportunity, I make sure people get a taste of the phone. Not everyone will like it or want it, but getting more people to see it and WebOS can help Palm get some momentum. Like it or not, the fire sale at Verizon will actually help Palm a lot because the phones appear to really be moving now. When AT&T gets it as well, we could possibly see Palm start to get real traction. They need to hang in long enough to intro another top end device and keep pushing the Plus out to more carriers and countries.
    Global Posts
    105 Global Posts
    In my area there is pretty much just Verizon and ATT. So Iphone got a foot hold early. Even though I don't really see that many. I have the only Palm Pre so far. Just over a week. Of course I have Zunes too. For the last two years and people still ask, "what kind of Ipod is that?".

I think people just know about what they see advertised. I don't even see that people differentiate smart phone from any other phone except one cost more and it has internet. The other doesn't. That's pretty much what I thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I get that all the time. I just say "If you have to ask, you can't have one". It's fun watching folks beg.
    Man, now I'm going to have RHCP going through my head all day...

"I wanna be a gangster thinkin' he's a wise guy..."
    : (){:|:&};:
    Quote Originally Posted by lucyt View Post
    When my friends & family saw I had a new phone, they asked if it was the Palm Pre I'd been yammering about for months ... hee hee! My daughter likes her Droid, and agrees that the Pre is better for me because I like advanced features & she mainly uses SMS & Facebook. She also showed me how to clear the memory WHEN apps lock up, & I said I don't have that because the app leaves memory when I fling it upwards. She thinks that's much more fun, of course ... and I've not had the too many cards error so far.
    Hey, there's more than one pre owner in central PA! Nifty!

Without being too pushy about it, my gf, who is currently living in california bought a pre after having seen mine, and is loving it. Her favorite part is flicking away notifications and cards. "Begone!"
    : (){:|:&};:
    Quote Originally Posted by Odd-Ball View Post
    Now VZW is dumping the phone; a Pre for $49.99 and a second one free? And the Pixi for half that? Sounds like VZW is done with the Pre/Pixi and they want to clear out their inventory.
    Verizon's pricing of the Pre does not indicate that they're dropping Palm. They've done BOGO for many months, and have had similar pricing for BlackBerrys (which they haven't dropped).

Quote Originally Posted by Odd-Ball View Post
    No one speaks nicely of the hardware but they acknowledge the software is the key point. Palm should learn from that.
    Actually, a lot of people like the hardware. I don't know of anyone that would call it superior, but most of the polls I've seen say that people are satisified with it.

Personally, I haven't seen many phones that I'm impressed with the hardware itself. The 1 to 2 year contract model just doesn't lend itself to to building high quality devices.
    Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    Very stupid comment about the employees selling the instinct for 5 months while the pre was there in front of their face and they couldn't own one? Actually, if you worked for Sprint you would no thats not the case. I got the pre before it was even launched as did at least one to two people in EVERY corporate store, since they have to have an advocate. Other than that I purchased my 2nd Pre on an employee line in the beginning of August, therefore thats 2 months from launch. And for the record...I never have really sold the instinct. However, I can also tell you the Evo 4g is by far WAY better then the hero and just an all around pretty awesome phone....but I love my pre.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast