Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21
  1.    #1  
    So I've had my new Pre for a few days and am having lots of fun playing with it. I wanted to use the mobile hotspot (which was my main reason for getting the phone ~ the free Verizon mobile hotspot service because we do lots of RV traveling).

    My first problem was there was no icon for the hotspot. After calling Verizon twice, they finally clicked me thru to Palm and I was told I needed 1.4 to get the icon on my phone. Okay, so finally got that downloaded and installed.

    I played around with the mobile hotspot last night and it is so slow. I was sitting right next to my laptop and my phone showed plenty of bars and the laptop showed a strong wifi signal strength. My download speeds were:

    140 kbytes
    90.6 kbytes
    105.7 kbytes
    418.1 kbytes (that wasn't so bad).

    If these are the best speeds I can attain, then the Pre is pretty much useless for the purpose of a wifi router. Are these speeds typical?
  2. #2  
    Back when I was wifi tethering with Sprint, my average download speed was around 120kbps. I was in a poor coverage area though. Your results sound about right though. 100kbps is plenty for web browsing... Plus you have a 5gig/month cap, so you don't want to be streaming audio or video anyway.
  3. #3  
    I just turned on my Mobile hotspot and did a speed test on mobilespeedtest.com and speedtest.net. Both returned that my d/l speed was right at 1.2 megs for me. But my phone has full bars, not sure what yours has. But to tell you the truth, everywhere I have been (even way out in the boonies here is Bama) I have had nothing BUT full bars.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by michael_donaldson View Post
    I just turned on my Mobile hotspot and did a speed test on mobilespeedtest.com and speedtest.net. Both returned that my d/l speed was right at 1.2 megs for me. But my phone has full bars, not sure what yours has. But to tell you the truth, everywhere I have been (even way out in the boonies here is Bama) I have had nothing BUT full bars.
    Your results were most likely shown as Megabits per second, as opposed to Megabytes per second(actual download speed). Divide your results by 8 to see what speed you would actually get while downloading a file or loading a web page.
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Your results were most likely shown as Megabits per second, as opposed to Megabytes per second(actual download speed). Divide your results by 8 to see what speed you would actually get while downloading a file or loading a web page.
    Whatever the number means, it is not much less than what I get testing with Comcast over my Wi-fi. I only average around 2.3 Mbps. Now, when I test with my desktop that is wired, I get the nice 10 - 12 Mbps. Maybe it's time for a new wireless router, lol.

    So despite what the numbers mean, it makes no difference for my needs when comparing to my Wi-fi at home.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by michael_donaldson View Post
    I just turned on my Mobile hotspot and did a speed test on mobilespeedtest.com and speedtest.net. Both returned that my d/l speed was right at 1.2 megs for me. But my phone has full bars, not sure what yours has. But to tell you the truth, everywhere I have been (even way out in the boonies here is Bama) I have had nothing BUT full bars.
    Hey! I'm in Bama! And I have full bars. That's one reason I stick with Verizon. We lived in Calif and now in Alabama and we've always had strong connections.

    To clarify, my download speeds were kbps. So the fastest speed I noted at 418.1 would be less than a half a Mbps. The 418 would be acceptable if I could consistently get even that. But I couldn't. And I disagree that 100 kbps is plenty for web browsing. It's really slow.

    I called Verizon and they told me it was "The Palm Network" (aaargh) and to call Palm. I did call Palm and after pressing and pressing the girl told me that the processor speed on my netbook was too slow (1.66 GHz) and that was the bottleneck. Ack.

    Nobody will tell me what speed I should realistically be able to attain. They just keep coming up with excuses as to why MY speed is slow.
  7. #7  
    Well I tore apart my wife's netbook and can't remember if I ever put it back together. If I did I'll check in a bit on it and see if I get slower speeds than on my HP.
  8. #8  
    i'm not sure there is such a thing as typical speeds across users. mine tends to vary from 250k to 1200k upload.
  9. #9  
    not sure how it works with VZ but with Sprint I great EVDO speeds (1.2 Mbps) but if for some reason it switches to "1x" (this happened to me recently, not sure why it switched between the 2 when I had full bars) my speeds went way down, to about .2 Mbps... so that could be it...

    I also noticed some other posts about turning BT off, perhaps cause that radio interferes with things?
  10. #10  
    ur not gonna get fios speeds with that come one! Lets use our heads a little.
  11. #11  
    Is your local area EVDO Rev A or Rev 0? I'm still stuck with verizon's Rev 0 network, and my speeds are similar to yours. Rev 0 on average is 25% slower that Rev A. Sounds like you are also stuck with the EVDO Rev 0 network in your area. No way to significantly improve your speeds. Sorry about that, but yea, it's makes MHS practically useless except in an emergency. Verzion's 3G network is really a sham when they claim they cover more that AT&T. What they don't tell you, is that the majority of it is a slow 3G network.
  12. ogeneo's Avatar
    Posts
    348 Posts
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    #12  
    Here in so.cal the hotspot works well, I'm usually in the 1mb down range.

    Be forewarned, it is a huge battery drain. How bad? It drains battery faster than it charges.
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by michael_donaldson View Post
    Whatever the number means, it is not much less than what I get testing with Comcast over my Wi-fi. I only average around 2.3 Mbps. Now, when I test with my desktop that is wired, I get the nice 10 - 12 Mbps. Maybe it's time for a new wireless router, lol.

    So despite what the numbers mean, it makes no difference for my needs when comparing to my Wi-fi at home.
    You can't expect the same speeds via wired and wireless broadband. The tech just isn't there yet.

    Whether using a tethered Pre or a dedicated card, the results will not equal wired broadband.
  14. #14  
    I have an older netgear b/g wireless router. On my macbook using the netgear wireless router, my download speed is 10-12Mbs. With my Pre using the netgear wireless router, I only average around 4Mbs. So using the same router, the Pre is still throttled back compared to my laptop.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
    I have an older netgear b/g wireless router. On my macbook using the netgear wireless router, my download speed is 10-12Mbs. With my Pre using the netgear wireless router, I only average around 4Mbs. So using the same router, the Pre is still throttled back compared to my laptop.
    I had slower download speeds until 1.4, and now it's all good.

    Regardless, we are talking about speeds that we get over the EV-DO network, not WiFi.

    Wifi Tethering is not going to be fast. 1.2Mbps, which translates to about 150 kilobytes per second download speeds, are probably about the best you are going to get, because the average speed that you are going to get from EV-DO is nowhere near as fast as the internet you get into your house form your ISP. Heck, the average speed you get from EV-DO is going to be slower than the advertised maximum because there is more than one person connecting to a cell tower at a time
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by wunderbar View Post
    I had slower download speeds until 1.4, and now it's all good.

    Regardless, we are talking about speeds that we get over the EV-DO network, not WiFi.

    Wifi Tethering is not going to be fast. 1.2Mbps, which translates to about 150 kilobytes per second download speeds, are probably about the best you are going to get, because the average speed that you are going to get from EV-DO is nowhere near as fast as the internet you get into your house form your ISP. Heck, the average speed you get from EV-DO is going to be slower than the advertised maximum because there is more than one person connecting to a cell tower at a time
    Wouldn't 1.2 Mbs equal around 1300 Kbs? Or are you talking combined DL/UL speeds? I do agree with tethering being much slower in general.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
    Wouldn't 1.2 Mbs equal around 1300 Kbs? Or are you talking combined DL/UL speeds? I do agree with tethering being much slower in general.
    Most online speed test sites show results in MegaBITS per second. To figure out your actual download speed, divide this number by 8.

    Yes, no one should be expecting the same kind of speed you get from your home broadband connection. However, you will have enough speed to browse the web comfortably.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    Most online speed test sites show results in MegaBITS per second. To figure out your actual download speed, divide this number by 8.

    Yes, no one should be expecting the same kind of speed you get from your home broadband connection. However, you will have enough speed to browse the web comfortably.
    Thanks for the explanation.
  19. JJCook's Avatar
    Posts
    191 Posts
    Global Posts
    205 Global Posts
    #19  
    Somewhat related question....

    My laptop will CONNECT to Mobile Hotspot but it fails in acquiring a network address. My home PC works fine. My daughter's iPod Touch works fine. I just can't get my laptop to get internet access. This is supposed to be an easy connection but it's been anything but easy.

    Any suggestions?
  20. #20  
    I have a Tier 3 ticket in with Palm on this issue.. its the Palm OS 1.4 or wireless chip firmware in the phone. Its ridiculously slow 40-90kbps with
    lots of packet loss. It seems to be only connecting with certain WIFI cards - on my Lenovo T400s,X300 & T61 as well as IPOD / IPHONE. I inserted a Realtek WIFI USB adapter in my T400s and the speed was normal and the packet loss was gone. Also tested on a Macbook Pro and speeds were good. On the IPAD its slower then it should be around 240kbps
    with high pings.

    Don't think for a second its has anything to do with the signal etc on this
    one.. I spent hours testing along side of the MIFI and other broadband accounts I own a consulting firm in the tech industry and do support for all types of networking I have a complete understanding of the technology and
    clearly identified there is a issue.

    Oddly enough the Sprint Overdrive had the same exact performance issue
    with IPODs etc.. and they fixed it with a firmware update.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions