Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1.    #1  
    With iPhone's 4 announcement today, palm now has the oportunity to get back in this. While yes, apple added some key features they were lacking, webos is still more polished and capable. They now have a window between now and the next iPhone to release compelling products that can make palm phones very compelling before the new iPhones release. Here is what I think they should do:

    3 new handsets, same specs:
    thye need to release 3 phones, a pre2, a slate, and a treo sized pixi. All three devices will have the same specsand price, only difference will be the form factor.

    On-screen key board:
    With the new slate for factor they will of course have to add a touchscreen keyboard. It will be both portrate and landscape. It will also be available on the pre2, it will show up when the slide is closed and if you open the device it will slide off they screen as the hardware slides out. They also need to improve the text completion software and spell check.

    Super specs:
    speaking of specs, the new devices will need to be top of line to really allow webos to shine. Minimum specs should be as follows:
    1ghz processor
    1gb ram
    32-64gb on board memory
    high resolution super AMOLED display
    high capacity 1500-1700 mah battery
    3.8" screen for the slate, 3.7" screen for pre2, 3.0" screen for treo2.

    Deal with double twist:
    they need to make a deal with doubletwist to where they would be the official sync solution for all webos devices. They should share some API so that not only will you be able to sync music, but also be able to sync apps, have a backup on your pc, and even have a portel to the app store from your desktop. It would also be able to sync with outlook.

    Touchstone 2:
    the touchstone is a great solution for charging, but there is still more they could do with it. They need to add wireless data connection with the touchstone, this will allow it to act like a full dock, where you can use it to sync with your computer and even connect it with say tv displays or sound systems.

    Port more apps:
    they need to open a program to help developers port their current apps over to webos. One insentive should be where palm will port the program them selves, either for a fee or let's say a 60/40 split if revenue from that app. This would make it a no brained for app developers who could just sen their surrent app to palm and would infir no cost to have a presence in webos, and just start collecting on the 40% split.

    Release on multiple carriers:
    one of the biggest mistakes they made was be exclusive, not so much on sprint, but on CDMA. That realy limited them worldwide. The new handsets must at minimum be gsm, but preferable they could release both versions.

    Everyone now knows pretty much what's instore for the next iPhone, and I feel that if palm can play their cards right they should be able to make a big comeback before apple starts the hype machine on te new iPhone late thi summer.

    Sorry for the long post and of any mispellings or grammer errors, wrote this whole thing on my phone.
  2. #2  
    Amen to that!.
    I hope Palm is reading.
  3. #3  
    I don't know, I like a lot of those ideas, but I almost think that the best idea is to wait for the dual core Cortex A9 processors to be made available. They could then make an insanely fast, insanely featured, super phone that would destroy the competition. Only problem is I don't think they have enough money to survive until the A9 is made available.
  4. #4  
    I love the Slate idea. webOS would be perfect for a small tablet device. If Palm were to build one, and it had a DocsToGo equivalent and Flash, I'd never carry a netbook.
  5. #5  
    I think Palm may have enough left in them to release one more device, close to the specs you describe for the Pre2. And I'd agree with pretty much everything but the AMOLED screen--that, only if it's viewable in direct sunlight (like Samsung's). And it won't be released on all carriers at once--it'll come out on Sprint first for 4G, and then Verizon and AT&T later when they have LTE ready to go. Perhaps they could release on Verizon and AT&T earlier than LTE is rolled out, but give Sprint a 30-90 day exclusive.

    I say Sprint because Palm remains in the situation where they can't dictate terms to carriers. And, in spite of the Evo, I think Sprint has good reason to market the Pre2--they want to hammer 4G, and what better way than showing two very compelling smartphones supporting it?

    That device has to do very, very well at converting current Pre customers and winning some new ones. It, coupled with continued sales of the lower-priced Pre Plus and Pixi Plus, could generate enough revenue to move Palm toward profitability. I don't think they'll ever get better than #4 in the market in current sales (behind iPhone, Android, and WP7), with RIM holding onto ever-diminishing domestic market share. But #4 would be enough to sustain a profitable, somewhat niche ecosystem.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  6. #6  
    I really think a bigger pixie style phone would be awesome.. 4 inch screen.. I would buy this..
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Armchair Commando View Post
    I don't know, I like a lot of those ideas, but I almost think that the best idea is to wait for the dual core Cortex A9 processors to be made available. They could then make an insanely fast, insanely featured, super phone that would destroy the competition. Only problem is I don't think they have enough money to survive until the A9 is made available.
    Your last sentence sums it up best, I think. Palm needs to come out with a new device this summer. Of course, this is my relatively uninformed opinion, but it seems right to me. I can't imagine that the Pre/+ and Pixi/+ is enough to hold them over until 2011.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  8. #8  
    Excellent analysis!
  9. #9  
    sound pretty good.
  10. Kedar's Avatar
    Posts
    994 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    #10  
    Not enough money?

    I still have faith in Rubenstein. If he brought Apple back, he can do the same with Palm. He's a smart guy.
  11. stockh's Avatar
    Posts
    401 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    #11  
    I agree. Now that apple has shown their cards ( and not impressive at that ) palm must realize they are in a pretty good position.

    Here's my game plan for PALM.

    Secure releationships with ALL U.S. wireless carriers. ( I belive T-mobile is the only one left)

    Release handset that will compete with big screen handsets.

    Speed up webOS (It's still very laggy, especially the phone app)

    Help develop a mobile office app.

    Somehow get the word out how "slick" webOS really is!
  12. Honis's Avatar
    Posts
    508 Posts
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    3 new handsets, same specs:
    thye need to release 3 phones, a pre2, a slate, and a treo sized pixi. All three devices will have the same specsand price, only difference will be the form factor.
    The 2 phones and slate will have different sized screens (resolutions). It doesn't make sense to add the same gfx chip to all 3 when 1 will need more horsepower than the other 2. If you pull same specs you'll either be putting to much power in 2 devices (phones) or not enough power in 1 device (slate). (Substitute CPU with GFX here considering WebOS doesn't use the GFX set).

    I think 2 devices with 3 form factors would be better. Keep the architecture but don't gimp the device that needs more juice (the slate) and don't overpower devices that will only sip the juice.

    I think the same applies to the battery. Drop a larger battery in the slate to support the larger screen and intended longer use times. Maybe consider dropping Edge, 3G and 4G from it to improve battery life.

    I realize your intention of making everything essentially the same, cutting costs on WebOS development, but on the hardware side you can make significant savings by keeping things different, but similar.
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
  13. #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    With iPhone's 4 announcement today, palm now has the oportunity to get back in this. While yes, apple added some key features they were lacking, webos is still more polished and capable. They now have a window between now and the next iPhone to release compelling products that can make palm phones very compelling before the new iPhones release. Here is what I think they should do:

    3 new handsets, same specs:
    thye need to release 3 phones, a pre2, a slate, and a treo sized pixi. All three devices will have the same specsand price, only difference will be the form factor.

    On-screen key board:
    With the new slate for factor they will of course have to add a touchscreen keyboard. It will be both portrate and landscape. It will also be available on the pre2, it will show up when the slide is closed and if you open the device it will slide off they screen as the hardware slides out. They also need to improve the text completion software and spell check.

    Super specs:
    speaking of specs, the new devices will need to be top of line to really allow webos to shine. Minimum specs should be as follows:
    1ghz processor
    1gb ram
    32-64gb on board memory
    high resolution super AMOLED display
    high capacity 1500-1700 mah battery
    3.8" screen for the slate, 3.7" screen for pre2, 3.0" screen for treo2.

    Deal with double twist:
    they need to make a deal with doubletwist to where they would be the official sync solution for all webos devices. They should share some API so that not only will you be able to sync music, but also be able to sync apps, have a backup on your pc, and even have a portel to the app store from your desktop. It would also be able to sync with outlook.

    Touchstone 2:
    the touchstone is a great solution for charging, but there is still more they could do with it. They need to add wireless data connection with the touchstone, this will allow it to act like a full dock, where you can use it to sync with your computer and even connect it with say tv displays or sound systems.

    Port more apps:
    they need to open a program to help developers port their current apps over to webos. One insentive should be where palm will port the program them selves, either for a fee or let's say a 60/40 split if revenue from that app. This would make it a no brained for app developers who could just sen their surrent app to palm and would infir no cost to have a presence in webos, and just start collecting on the 40% split.

    Release on multiple carriers:
    one of the biggest mistakes they made was be exclusive, not so much on sprint, but on CDMA. That realy limited them worldwide. The new handsets must at minimum be gsm, but preferable they could release both versions.

    Everyone now knows pretty much what's instore for the next iPhone, and I feel that if palm can play their cards right they should be able to make a big comeback before apple starts the hype machine on te new iPhone late thi summer.

    Sorry for the long post and of any mispellings or grammer errors, wrote this whole thing on my phone.
    WOW! You summed up much of what I would like to see in devicces.

    Maybe this should be sent to JR and crew
  14. #14  
    It's actually really simple what Palm needs to do to make WebOS appeal to a broader group of people:

    1. New hardware
      • Bigger screen
      • Faster processor
      • More memory
      • And device(s) that don't include a physical keyboard (this is attractive to many).
    2. Optimize WebOS
      • Throwing hardware at unoptimized code is not a solution. The 800Mhz patch is a good example, WebOS is still a sluggish mess with it.
    3. Push their PDK vs. the SDK
      • The answer to above is pushing the development of true native apps versus HTML/CSS based ones.
    4. Appeal to the developers first, then the consumer.
      • To simply put it, the iPhone is so successful because of the applications available. Palm needs to make the development environment more appealing to developers. Right now, it's a joke (and this is coming from a developer).


    Palm has already started the move in the direction with marketing. In my opinion marketing is only a small selling point, the rest is word of mouth. If Palm makes the necessary changes WebOS will sell itself, like the iPhone does.

    Just my $0.02.
  15. #15  
    WebOS is much better now than it's original release. If people were to try it now comparatively, they'd be much more excited to use it.
  16. #16  
    It needs to have a dock, I took out my old gray-scale-screened palm with its dock and couldn't get over how much I loved that device because I could just set it down on its dock to charge + sync

    Also I would pay with my first born for pen+graffiti again.... just saying....

    ps: oh and a slate device would be acceptable only if it had a pen, I could hunt and pec faster with that then with my thumbs.
    Life moves fast, don't miss a thing
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    With iPhone's 4 announcement today, palm now has the oportunity to get back in this. While yes, apple added some key features they were lacking, webos is still more polished and capable. They now have a window between now and the next iPhone to release compelling products that can make palm phones very compelling before the new iPhones release. Here is what I think they should do:

    3 new handsets, same specs:
    thye need to release 3 phones, a pre2, a slate, and a treo sized pixi. All three devices will have the same specsand price, only difference will be the form factor.

    On-screen key board:
    With the new slate for factor they will of course have to add a touchscreen keyboard. It will be both portrate and landscape. It will also be available on the pre2, it will show up when the slide is closed and if you open the device it will slide off they screen as the hardware slides out. They also need to improve the text completion software and spell check.

    Super specs:
    speaking of specs, the new devices will need to be top of line to really allow webos to shine. Minimum specs should be as follows:
    1ghz processor
    1gb ram
    32-64gb on board memory
    high resolution super AMOLED display
    high capacity 1500-1700 mah battery
    3.8" screen for the slate, 3.7" screen for pre2, 3.0" screen for treo2.

    Deal with double twist:
    they need to make a deal with doubletwist to where they would be the official sync solution for all webos devices. They should share some API so that not only will you be able to sync music, but also be able to sync apps, have a backup on your pc, and even have a portel to the app store from your desktop. It would also be able to sync with outlook.

    Touchstone 2:
    the touchstone is a great solution for charging, but there is still more they could do with it. They need to add wireless data connection with the touchstone, this will allow it to act like a full dock, where you can use it to sync with your computer and even connect it with say tv displays or sound systems.

    Port more apps:
    they need to open a program to help developers port their current apps over to webos. One insentive should be where palm will port the program them selves, either for a fee or let's say a 60/40 split if revenue from that app. This would make it a no brained for app developers who could just sen their surrent app to palm and would infir no cost to have a presence in webos, and just start collecting on the 40% split.

    Release on multiple carriers:
    one of the biggest mistakes they made was be exclusive, not so much on sprint, but on CDMA. That realy limited them worldwide. The new handsets must at minimum be gsm, but preferable they could release both versions.

    Everyone now knows pretty much what's instore for the next iPhone, and I feel that if palm can play their cards right they should be able to make a big comeback before apple starts the hype machine on te new iPhone late thi summer.

    Sorry for the long post and of any mispellings or grammer errors, wrote this whole thing on my phone.
    Pre 2 (Horizontal Slider) and Pixi 2 (candy bar front facing keyboard) would be logical additions to their line up. I don't see them trying to make a tablet any time soon.

    Palm likes physical keyboards. Deal with it. Auto complete and predictive text would be a welcome OS addition.

    The hardware you have is good for now, but not the "next best thing" kind of device they need. Perhaps a snapdragon in Pixi2 and a Dual Core in the Pre 2. 16gb of flash is acceptable, but there should be a microSD card slot. No reason to leave that out.
    On sizes: Some people simply don't want gigantic phones in their pockets. Perhaps a Palm Pro with a 4" screen and keyboard slider, a Pre with a 3" (ish) screen and slider, and Pixi with a smaller screen and candybar form would hit a wide range of consumer tastes.
    I would like to see the devices support WiMax and LTE.

    Double Twist: Good idea. Not sure about the usefulness of syncing with Outlook. If you have outlook, you have an exchange server and EAS generally. Sync that way. The app catalog would be a challenge and I doubt double twist would put in the effort to do that.

    Touchstone 2. Datasync is an intresting idea. (BT to the stone, then USB to your PC) but I would rather have BT file transfer to my PC directly. Don't hold your breath on outputting video wirelessly.

    Porting apps: Once the PDK is more available, I think we will see more apps ported over.

    Carriers: Yes for the love of god, get on all carriers.
  18. #18  
    palm don't need to do anything. They only need to tell the media that something is big coming to pre. Very very very big. Bigger than anything befor, iphon 4g , android os X version. Attract the eyeballs of the public. Timing is important, whether it should be now and latter iss the job or decision of ceo. At that public invitation., demonstrate a whatever palm next model, or just a webos that could open a HUNDREd CARDS At the same time. Wow thepublic without spend additional dollar. Remind the public how stupid of iphone 4
  19. #19  
    no one really knows what's in store for the next iphone... you only know what 'some' of the features are in the OS... nothing about the hardware yet.

    but i like some of the specs you put up there... but i wouldnt forget front facing camera... i think video conferencing is going to be a major feature that all smartphones will be pushing

    iChatAgent process shows up in iPhone OS 4.0 -- video conferencing coming?

    Quote Originally Posted by fernandez21 View Post
    Everyone now knows pretty much what's instore for the next iPhone, and I feel that if palm can play their cards right they should be able to make a big comeback before apple starts the hype machine on te new iPhone late thi summer.
  20. #20  
    All the above, and...
    BT, BT, BT, BT, BT

    Bluetooth support for ALL the profiles! Come on, let's get with it here, BT send of photos to my desktop, phonebook support, voice dialing, etc, etc, etc,.

    Geez guys, there are laws in many municipailities and starting to be statewide about handsfree mobile phone use....
    Following the laws would be a GREAT thing for you to support.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions