View Poll Results: Still on your 1st pre?Proud?

Voters
785. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm on my 1st pre and proud!!!!

663 84.46%
  • I had a REALLY bad one, but since the new batch..I haven't considered sending it back

38 4.84%
  • I've had a few over the past few months but I think this is the ONE for me now!!

61 7.77%
  • I want my hardware to be 100%...even 99.9% is unsatisfactory

23 2.93%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    first one and loving it. I've patched and re-patched the (expletive deleted) out of it, and am really glad. yeah there's a few imperfections, but it's exponentially better than the treo i had before it. Love the device, love the OS, love the pre-central community...yada yada. BTW, anyone know how to fix an IPKG error?

Thanks
    2nd

the 1st gave up responding on touching the touchscreen (which was like a major flaw) after 1 month even though i didnt let him suffer a single scratch.

the 2nd was a replacement device that was obviously new and the very next day it fell on concrete and the day after and the day after. dont ask me why, the second one suffers a lot but still he is in perfect shape: no loose nothing, no cracks nowhere. he just takes everything

3rd will be a plus since i found out i m not using the gesture key at all anymore
    I got my Pre last weekend. On the way home from the Verizon store it shut off and I thought the battery went dead, but it was at 40% not 5 minutes before.

Turns out when I closed the slider, or opened it sometimes, the entire phone would shut off. I Googled it and apparently this was a known issue since June of last year, on the non-Plus version! I couldn't believe that 8 months later and the issue wasn't solved.

Aside from that, the performance of the phone was horrid. The "swipe to unlock" icon wasn't a smooth animation, but jerky, along with the menus and web.

So I took it into the Verizon store and exchanged it for a new one. What a difference! It runs smoother and doesn't shut off when I close it! The keyboard backlighting is horribly dim (on both Pre Plus's I've owned), but I can live with that.

The only thing I don't like about this new Pre is that the buttons are super sensitive. Like if I type in "Pick up some milk" it will come out like, "Piiick up somee millk." But it's not consistent and I suppose that it's something I can work around with a little more practice.

This is my first "smartphone", after having owned an iPod Touch for a year. I really like it! Multitasking is great! The swiping feature is really fun to use, too. Now when I get back on my iPod I want to swipe things away and instead I have to search for a little button to push.

The build quality is DEFINITELY lacking. But considering I only paid $50 for it, I'll happily live with it and it's faults
    My first (launch month) pre's screen bugged out within the first week (acted as if someone was constantly tapping it). My second Pre stopped working three months in (screen stopped responding altogether). No discernable events by me caused either of those.. They just started. Number 3 is fine I suppose. Gets really hot... Looking forward to more inspiring HW next time around Palm.

PS: I have other problems, like power button not turning screen on then causing a reboot, but I suspect they're SW-related.
    Waiting on my 2nd Pre. Had the other one since June of last year. Had the headphone jack and power button issue. Tried to take it back to the Sprint store here in Jersey City but they wouldn't take it - had a small scratch that they said meant they wouldn't fix it under warranty. Just sent it back to Palm on Monday and am anxiously awaiting the package from Palm. My name is DFjersey, and I am addicted to my Pre.
    Global Posts
    14 Global Posts
    I'm on my third Pre. =(
    I had my first from August until February. That one had some issue with the volume turning itself all the way up and you couldn't turn it down.
    I JUST got my third Pre on Tuesday. The one before this had the screen crack from the damn "ball". It was rendered completely useless.
    This one seems to be fine, but I'm soooo ready for new hardware that is much more stable.
    First Pre and full price!

My Pre has issues "but since the new batch..I haven't considered sending it back"

I still have the old school fix of paper jammed in to keep the battery in place and I still have a problem with the headphone jack!
    Global Posts
    226 Global Posts
    There should be an option for I'm on my second because I was stupid with my first and broke it.

I had it in my pocket, leaned against the car while getting something out putting all of my considerable weight against the Pre and the car and... surprise... the screen cracked.

Was happy with my first one, and I'm happy with its replacement.
    Still on 1st Pre.

Was planning on getting another one from Sprint anyway when my contract is up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jahooba View Post
    I got my Pre last weekend. On the way home from the Verizon store it shut off and I thought the battery went dead, but it was at 40% not 5 minutes before.

Turns out when I closed the slider, or opened it sometimes, the entire phone would shut off. I Googled it and apparently this was a known issue since June of last year, on the non-Plus version! I couldn't believe that 8 months later and the issue wasn't solved.

Aside from that, the performance of the phone was horrid. The "swipe to unlock" icon wasn't a smooth animation, but jerky, along with the menus and web.

So I took it into the Verizon store and exchanged it for a new one. What a difference! It runs smoother and doesn't shut off when I close it! The keyboard backlighting is horribly dim (on both Pre Plus's I've owned), but I can live with that.

The only thing I don't like about this new Pre is that the buttons are super sensitive. Like if I type in "Pick up some milk" it will come out like, "Piiick up somee millk." But it's not consistent and I suppose that it's something I can work around with a little more practice.

This is my first "smartphone", after having owned an iPod Touch for a year. I really like it! Multitasking is great! The swiping feature is really fun to use, too. Now when I get back on my iPod I want to swipe things away and instead I have to search for a little button to push.

The build quality is DEFINITELY lacking. But considering I only paid $50 for it, I'll happily live with it and it's faults
    brightness unlinked can increase the lighting on your keyboard -- some people claim that using your fingernail and pressing firmly on the keys eliminates the double typing -- i got a new phone for other reasons but the keyboard is much improved....
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I'm still on my first one but it has a nasty bug that took a while to figure out... Every so often the Pre refuses to realize I don't have headphones plugged in which kills the external speaker for music & videos, and forces me to use speakerphone for all my calls. Other than that the hardware's been pretty good. It's dog slow compared to the Plus but I've overclocked it to 800mhz which helps tremendously.
    Hi,

Had my Pre since the 16th October 2009, the launch date in the UK. So far it has been rock solid in terms of software and hardware. The Pre is never going to stand up to the punishment that my old 600 & 650 took, but compared to the Pre they were bricks. That said it has been dropped a few times on to relatively soft surfaces and has been fine, treat the Pre with care and it will last.
    Gavin Coles

Pre - O2 - UK
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    I've got a launch day Pre and it is still going strong. Its got a bit of a crack coming from the usb door to the screen and the USB door fell off but nothing too serious. Took a tumble to the concrete last fall and although it scuffed the sides it still works great.
    Hm, my option is missing, so I voted for "first".
    My front is starting to crack from the usb port, and I'm pretty sure that it'll reach the screen pretty soon - and then I'll have to send it in.
    Also, there are some very fine cracks around the center button, but hardly visible and seemingly not dangerous.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    On Pre #1 from launch day
    Still have my launch day Sprint Pre. It's in fairly pristine condition. Since day one, when it's not on the Touchstone it's been in my front pants pocket (in a case). I have had NO hardware issues of any kind. That means no cracks, no dead buttons, no slider issues, and I still have the USB cover!

I got my first ever "Too Many Cards" error only last week! After restarting the phone, the error has not recurred.

However, my mother did have to exchange her Pre Plus for a new one due to the keypad "stuttering" issue. She still likes it worlds better than the Blackberry she used to have.
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    My, my Wife, and her best friend all have Pre's. They both got theirs through their company late last summer. The friend's Pre has some problems like the busted power button, but I think she expects they will see it as her breaking it. My wife's has been good. I am on my third, well forth, since December. First one started flaking out after about a month with apps not updating or not uninstalling/installing right, then I finally doctored it and it never came back up. In the Sprint store the second one never registered on the network so it officially never made in on my account. So that second/third one lived for another couple of months until one morning the touch part of the touch screen stopped. This phone is really hard to use without the touch working.
    On my first Pre, six months in. No issues.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    On my second. First one, the camera kind of lost connection. Had to squeeze the phone pretty firmly on one side to get the camera to function. Obviously hardware. Sprint replaced it no problem.
    I have 3, bought at 2 different stores (Best Buy and Sprint). My phone as well as my wifes phone are still running strong. My 17 year old dropped his a million times before having to replace it (his fault though).
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant