Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

I'm brand new here and a proud new owner of a Palm Pre Plus after being a BB user for years. I've had a Tour since they came out and didn't like the next generation prospects with BB so when VZW came out with the sweet Palm deal last week I did my research (this site rocks) and jumped on it. I love the phone but still need to get my email configured better as the BB push email is why I stayed with BB so long. Not the Yahoo or Gmail but my Outlook mailboxes from my website server doesn't show up all the time or very slowly.

BIGGEST PROBLEM: My mobile hot spot works and the phone connects, other laptops connect including my girlfriends XP machine which can access web pages great. Even from 60-70 feet away and down a level (what is the true range? It seems amazing) BUT my Vista laptop with updated wireless driver can't connect to the internet after showing connected with an excellent signal. I spent 3 hours on the phone with Verizon, 3 calls to Palm and then I called the Costco Concierge free service for products bought at Costco. Nothing - no help and the only suggestions were to reinstall Vista from scratch. Palm's stance is the phone and it's hot spot work on other devices so it must be my laptop. Agreed that makes sense but the HPDV6433CL is only 2.5 years old and a kick-*** laptop that has never has any issues. I think it's a simple setting on the Vista laptop but no clue????

Even with the firewall disabled nothing! It shows connected though - grrrrr

Anyone? I can't be the only one ever to have this issue?? I would think Palm would know of an known issue on Vista machines. I'd hate to have to return the phone because of this. It's a HUGE feature for me and my business......

Thanks in advance, Tim

P.S. Any word or news on a full virtual keyboard update or app???
  2.    #2  
    BUMP

Seriously? Nobody?

"Oh hey Tim welcome to the board"....lol
    Hi Tim,

I too have been issues with Vista. My work laptop is XP and it connects just fine. I'm running Vista at home and haven't been able to connect. It hasn't been a priority since I have WiFi at home through Comcast, so I haven't been all that motivated to figure out what's is wrong. I hope other members here are able to chime in.

Welcome to the forum!
    I am having the same problem with my windows vista... anyone else encountering this?
  5.    #5  
    So is this a known issue? I'm very surprised there's no info online and no tech support people at Palm or VZW seem to know (or admit) anything about it??? Hmmmm???

It sure looks like it connects all the way, but just that final hump to active internet, and then nothing. Very strange and a shame that the phone will be returned by many having this unfioxable (it would seem) issue. I can't even use GoToMyPc to access my home PC and my business POS server/software from my Vista laptop as the Pre won't support the Java browser thingy (lol - I'm clueless about that stuff) so the mobile hot spot was and is a huge thing for me here.....ugh
    I am actually researching this for a friend and i think he plans to upgrade his windows OS to Windows 7 in order to fix this. The incredibly low price of this phone along with the fact that the hootspot is free is what is motivating him to keep it. I would like some answers tho, no-one has vista anymore?
    I'm not sure if this is still going on, but if you have a student email account (.edu) you can get an upgrade to 7 for 29.99. Money well spent to get rid of Vista. If not there's plenty of free linux variations that'll dual boot and connect to your pre. Check out Ubuntu or Mint.
  8.    #8  
    Linux may be the plan here as Windows 7 doesn't seem like anything I'd want to pay $179 for and then find it to suck and maybe still not work with the Hot Spot feature. I have no clue which version of Linux to try and how to use it once it's on my laptop......grrrrrr
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Liisa84 View Post
    I am actually researching this for a friend and i think he plans to upgrade his windows OS to Windows 7 in order to fix this. The incredibly low price of this phone along with the fact that the hootspot is free is what is motivating him to keep it. I would like some answers tho, no-one has vista anymore?
    You're right about reasons to keep the phone!

Please let us know how the Os Upgrade to 7 worked/works out......

Thanks
    I just started having this problem I connected to my Palm Pre's hotspot ( verizon ) earlier today from an XP desktop. And last week it worked from this Vista Home edition laptop. Today I get the hotspot password prompt, click enter and it just grinds away, never connecting.

The only thing that's changed is last week's Microsoft Updates -- there were several on April 13th. I may have to back them out one by one and see what's happening.
    My sis connected to my mobile hotspot over the weekend and she's running vista. Pretty sure it's 32bit. She's also got SP2 installed. Anyone having problems have SP2?
    My vista laptop has SP2. Since it connects to two other wireless routers in my home, I'm beginning to think the problem is on Verizon's end.
    Fixed! I'm not 100% sure but it seems running this on my laptop got the wireless connections straightened out.
    netsh interface ip delete arpcache Probably not a great idea to have 4 wireless signals in the house at one time -- the linksys/hughes Satellite signal plus the one from my Verizon air card router ( CTR350), plus two hotspots from phones.
  14.    #14  
    OK - I fixed it and here's the exact step-by-step:

START

SETTINGS

NETWORK CONNECTIONS

RIGHT CLICK ON YOUR WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION TO BRING UP THE WIRELESS NETWORK CONNECTION PROPERTIES WINDOW

CLICK ON PROPERTIES THEN CLICK CONTINUE

CLICK AND HIGHLIGHT INTERNET PROTOCOL VERSION 4 THEN CLICK PROPERTIES

CHECK "USE THE FOLLOWING IP ADDRESS" AND ENTER THE FOLLOWING:

IP address: 10.1.1.200
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway: 10.1.1.11

CHECK "USE THE FOLLOWING DNS SERVER ADDRESSES" AND ENTER THE FOLLOWING:

Preferred DNS server: 208.67.222.222
    Alternate DNS server: 208.67.220.220

That's it folks! Only thing is I can't figure out how to save/add multiple wireless connections with different adapter properties so every time I want to switch my laptop from my home Comcast Cable connection to the Palm hot spot I need to enter all this or vice versa when I want to use my home cable connection I have to go back and check the settings back to "Obtain IP Address & the DNS Automatically"

Any suggestions on that part?

Glad it's working FINALLY.....WHEW!!! Only 6 more days on my 30 day trial period on my new Pre Plus and my girl gets her HTC Incredible tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest (shows shipped on FedEx tracking link that Verizon provided yesterday). I need the hotspot feature and love the phone so far other than being clueless on homebrew, patches, apps and all that stuff.......

P.S. Vista Sucks but I'm not paying to upgrade my laptop OS quite yet unless someone has the sold-out $150 Windows 7 family pack (3 licenses) available for sale?
    My Vista laptop easily connects to my phone's hotspot. My guess is that you have a poor wireless adapter in you laptop. Maybe you could try a more current USB adapter.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    So what you're saying Timmy is that for some reason your laptop was not getting an IP address (settings you provided are for static configuration). The DNS servers you provided are for Open DNS. The only weird setting is that the gateway's IP address ends with 11. I would think that the phone's IP address would end with a 1, not 11, unless one of the computers is acting as a web sharing server and somehow messing with the laptop's wireless connection.

Try seeing if it will work with automatic settings with all other computers off or out of range. I also have a Vista laptop and have had no issues, though I'm pretty good with lightweight network issues like these.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    Ps. Vista with SP2 definitely does not suck. Internally Vista is Win version 6.0, Windows 7 internally is Win ver 6.1 They are incredibly close with 7 benefiting from 2 years of driver development and other MS optimizations. If you have 2 or more gigs of ram then Vista is a quite good OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by dandar View Post
    Ps. Vista with SP2 definitely does not suck. Internally Vista is Win version 6.0, Windows 7 internally is Win ver 6.1 They are incredibly close with 7 benefiting from 2 years of driver development and other MS optimizations. If you have 2 or more gigs of ram then Vista is a quite good OS.
    You are absolutely correct. Vista is really good as long as you have the proper hardware and also do some computer software maintence once in a while. And the Mobile HotSpot works perfect with my Dell Vista computer.
    dude, I was all happy for you until I see your girlffiemd is getting an HTC? Get her a Prew if you really love her.
    I just got a pre a few days ago and finally tried out the hotspot. I couldn't get it to connect. I tried it on XP, 7, and even Linux Mint. However, I followed your instructions below and got it to work on the XP machine, which is the one I use when out of the house.

Lucky for me (or unlucky), the on-board wireless is so weak that I usually bring a PC Card adapter with me. So now I have the on-board wireless set to work with the hotspot (have to keep it close) and my PC Card uses "auto" for all other connections.

I still find this unacceptable! But I really like my Pre so far.

Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy T. View Post
    OK - I fixed it and here's the exact step-by-step:

CHECK "USE THE FOLLOWING IP ADDRESS" AND ENTER THE FOLLOWING:

IP address: 10.1.1.200
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default gateway: 10.1.1.11

CHECK "USE THE FOLLOWING DNS SERVER ADDRESSES" AND ENTER THE FOLLOWING:

Preferred DNS server: 208.67.222.222
    Alternate DNS server: 208.67.220.220

That's it folks! Only thing is I can't figure out how to save/add multiple wireless connections with different adapter properties so every time I want to switch my laptop from my home Comcast Cable connection to the Palm hot spot I need to enter all this or vice versa when I want to use my home cable connection I have to go back and check the settings back to "Obtain IP Address & the DNS Automatically"

Any suggestions on that part?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast