Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I thought I was doing something wrong when I couldn't get my Vista computer online through mobile hotspot. I even doctored the thing thinking that it may have been an old installation of mytether messing me up. It would get a strong local connection with the laptop and then display the "local only" if I hovered over the wireless icon in the tray.

Using your settings I was able to connect for the first time wirelessly. Thanks! I have a Realtek RTL8187B wireless adapter in my 2yr old Gateway laptop in case we can help track it down to one manufacturer or wireless adapter.

I right clicked on the wireless icon > click Network and Sharing Center > Manage Network Connections> right-click wireless network connection > click properties> continue > Internet Protocol Version 4 > Properties > ALTERNATE CONFIGURATION tab >
    then fill in with the good numbers for IP, subnet mask etc...

This allowed me to just reconnect to my wireless home network by choosing it from the available wireless networks when in range. When I choose my Palm Pre's network it takes about 25-30 seconds to finish the connection process but requires no other interaction from the laptop.

Hope that helps.
    -- Kevin
    I have two laptops that I hook up on a wireless network from different rooms. Neither computer can connect to the Pre mobile hot spot unless they are in the same room. Any experts got an answer for this?
    I tried it on two laptops. One used Intel and the other Atheros. Neither connected without the above settings change.

Quote Originally Posted by itZmePre View Post
    I have a Realtek RTL8187B wireless adapter in my 2yr old Gateway laptop in case we can help track it down to one manufacturer or wireless adapter.

-- Kevin
    I'm having a very similar problem. Can't get DHCP to work reliably. Tim's trick from #14 worked, but is a pain.

Has anyone figured out how to get DHCP to work.

FYI, here is what I have tried and the results:
    iPod Touch - Worked fine w/ DHCP. No issues.
    HP Laptop (Vista) - No IP address
    HP Laptop (Win 7) - No IP Address
    Palm Treo Pro - Connects / disconnects frequently. Not exactly sure what the problem is, but I can't get a reliable connection. Assume a similar DHCP issue.
    I'm also having this problem. I can't get an IP address, even after using the trick from #14. I've tried several different times (rebooting before/after, connecting before/after, etc) and no dice. I tried using the settings as alternate, and as general. What could I be doing wrong? I am on Vista SP1, do I need to upgrade that?
    Thanks!
    Alice
    those with dhcp issues are you a verizon customer because if you are a sprint you need ip forwarding patch or freetether.
    I'm on Verizon. It should work "out the box." The mobile hot spot is one of the huge selling points with the Pre Plus on Verizon. I think that the problem is not widespread.

Quote Originally Posted by Art165 View Post
    those with dhcp issues are you a verizon customer because if you are a sprint you need ip forwarding patch or freetether.
    Last edited by otrc; 05/12/2010 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Added more info.
    Global Posts
    91 Global Posts
    I've had Win XP and Win Vista so far connect through mobile hot spot with no problems. Are any of you running some kind of patches? Is the name of your webos network the same as your local wireless network? It shouldn't.
    I didn't install anything prior to trying the hotspot accept a bible program and the Classic app. No patches. Hotspot wasn't installed until it updated itself after I got it set up.

Network names aren't the same. One is WebOS the other is Home.

Quote Originally Posted by dandar View Post
    I've had Win XP and Win Vista so far connect through mobile hot spot with no problems. Are any of you running some kind of patches? Is the name of your webos network the same as your local wireless network? It shouldn't.
    Decided to try one of my desktops and it work with no configuration mods. It uses a Hawking NIC with Ralink chipset. This just gets weirder and weirder. BTW, it's running Vista 32bit.
    Last edited by otrc; 05/13/2010 at 11:43 AM. Reason: added OS
    Also tried it again on the laptop with Win 7 and it connected this time, but Ubuntu and Mint did not. I have all three OSes on the computer (for testing purposes).
    Applied Tim's config from #14 and put it in alternate adapter config ,reboot and connects automatically see pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    When I first tried the hotspot feature on my Win XP SP3 Dell laptop, it worked fine. Then one day it didn't: it connected, but I didn't get an IP address. The laptop gets an IP address just fine from my other access points.
    I'm on Verizon with a Pre Plus. My laptop is running XP SP3. My current Pre is a refurb since the backlight stopped working on my first. The Mobile Hot Spot worked flawlessly on my first Pre, but I couldn't get it working on my second. After 3 hours on call with Verizon then Palm , then Palm Tier 2 they finally changed all my settings to those listed on the first page. They did this via a remote app and I wasn't really sure what they were doing... and MHS worked.

But then my normal WiFi wouldn't. So another hour on the phone with Tier 2 and they revealed that I have to change everything back and forth between those settings and automatic when I switch between MHS and normal WiFi. And sometimes reboot.

I was told that this is a problem "on some Pres" and that "they are working on it." To me that means it's a defective device. I figure the problem will be fixed when Flash is available.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    I have 3 Windows 7 computers, two desktops (both pro edition) and a laptop (ultimate edition). The one desktop and the laptop connect fine, the other desktop does not. I'm not concerned enough to look into the issue further since I don't really have a need for my desktop to connect using my Pre. I just thought I would throw out my experience. I would guess that wireless adapter differences are the cause, not the OS.
    Bill Gates was talking to some nuclear experts about bombs, this could be microsofts biggest bomb since... actually since vista, sorry for that lame joke but its probably vista
    Still can't make this work. Verizon Pre Plus, Vista (sp2) on laptop, doesn't work. Tried it with my mom's XP laptop and that didn't work either. Then I tried it with my old Palm T|X, I still don't get an ip address. Well, it's not connecting...I am assuming that it's because I don't get an ip address. I've tried it with security and without, no difference. I've tried the trick from #14, no difference. I am running some patches now, but have also tried all of these things with no patches and it didn't work then, either. The patches I'm using now are mostly related to messaging. Not sure what else to try.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12