Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Ever since I downloaded the new update last week (1.4.1.1), I've been having a minor issue with text messaging. Whenever I will be typing a message to somebody and use a comma then a space, the space does not register. I need to hit it again for it to register.

For example:

How it inputs
    "I am going to the bar tonight,but it might not be a good idea."

How I want it to input (without having to hit space twice)
    "I am going to the bar tonight, but it might not be a good idea."

I know this is a small issue, but is anyone else having this problem?
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Mine works fine. Perhaps your space bar isn't registering the button press. Have you tried a powerdown and remove the battery for a few min?
    I'm having the same problem, too. To me, it's not a minor problem. It's in fact very annoying.
    mine is also doing it... just another "minor" issue to add to the list.
    I can't consistently replicate the issue. I tried by opening up a text field and consistently pressed , and space at the same time for about a minute. More often than not I would get the space missing though.

I believe this is because of the way we handle adjacent keys to avoid "fat fingering" it. I know the two are directly adjacent, but is just my thought.

If you want to see similar results press two keys that are directly next to each other at the same time and you will likely see the same results (period, space...C, V...etc)
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    I just want to raise this issue back up. It has been happening to me since the update.
    To clarify, the space key doesn't register if pressed directly after the comma key (in quick succession).

It only does this for the comma key - pressing space after any other key results in the key pressed followed by a space. Also, pressing any other key after the comma (except for a period) results in a comma then the key pressed.

To reiterate: It DOES happen even when they aren't pressed at the same time, only in quick succession to each other - but, again, only with comma and space, or comma and period.
    This is a "feature" for all the buttons. Push 2 that are next to each other to quickly and it will register the second as a accident. Type slower
    If it was a feature, then surely the same problem would arise if I pressed Z and then space quickly after - since the Z key is in the same spot opposite to the comma. However, this IS NOT the case, as I stated earlier.

I see that it does happen when two keys directly beside each other are pressed, however this is nearly impossible to do anyway with the size of the keys.

I propose that this is a bug with the detection of nearby keys, since the issue does not exist with the period and space keys, which are closer together than the comma. Is there any way to elevate this issue at all without people down-playing it as a feature? It's quite irritating.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    I tested and it's definitely a bug. But not just with messaging. Happens in the browser as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrGreencastle View Post
    If it was a feature, then surely the same problem would arise if I pressed Z and then space quickly after - since the Z key is in the same spot opposite to the comma. However, this IS NOT the case, as I stated earlier.

I see that it does happen when two keys directly beside each other are pressed, however this is nearly impossible to do anyway with the size of the keys.

I propose that this is a bug with the detection of nearby keys, since the issue does not exist with the period and space keys, which are closer together than the comma. Is there any way to elevate this issue at all without people down-playing it as a feature? It's quite irritating.
    If you type at speed it can happen with almost any 2 keys..... I constantly drop "c" after a space because I type so fast. It is built into the algorithm as said above to avoid mistyped keys. Personally I would prefer for the sensitivity of this greatly reduced or eliminated completely, but then again I am a well above average touch typer, so I would rather be able to type faster and correct my own mistakes.
    Again, I concur that it does indeed happen with any two keys that are next to each other. C is next to the Space key, so it happens, and maybe it should.

Now try doing the same thing with the space and Z key, hit them as many times as you want and as fast as you want, and it will almost always type out both. Now do the same with the comma and space, it misses the space like it would for two keys next to each other (by design).

The point I'm trying to get across is it DOES still drop the space after a comma, almost every time at higher speeds. The solution is NOT type slower, the solution is: fix the algorithm.

Edit: I've now tested it on 2 other Palm pre units, and this is the case on both. I've also observed that this "dropping" doesn't occur with the period and the space keys. Press them as fast as you can together, and more often than not it will type both. The period and space keys are beside each other, but it makes sense to allow the space after a period, since it is required in English. This same requirement applies to the comma, so why is this even a debate? There is an issue.
    I finding that on mine that when I feel the 'clump' (It not quite a click... ) when I depress the key that more and more as time goes on it does not register the key stroke. I have to make sure I full depress the button past the clump.
    Not all keys but more of them as time goes on.
    So the clump must not be the activation of the psudoswitch???
    I just thought I would try this out as I have never really noticed it on my pre but sure enough I can reproduce it.

I just used universal search and typed ',' followed by ' ' over and over. If you are very close timing-wise the space is omitted. The same is not true typing '.' followed by ' ', the space is always inserted then. Seems like a clear case of a bug but to be fair you have to be pretty quick to trigger it so I don't suppose it will be noticed by many folks.

BTW rush, proper typographics dictates that all punctuation points (.,;:?! etc) should always have a space after them. Doing otherwise will break most word processing software and spell checkers as word breaks are defined as spaces and carriage returns only. It also makes your text much more readable. This isn't just a modern invention for word processing, take a look at any printed work since the invention of the printing press and you will see what I mean.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rush View Post
    Ok,let me stop all of you right now. A comma represent two separate thoughts,and a period means the ending to that thought or sentence. The spacing are properly done. The reason why it look so close is because of the small screen of the device. After a period,then a letter is capitalize. However,if you notice that to get it capitalize you would have to press the space bar at the end of a sentence. A comma is just a slight pause in a sentence not the ending. The spacing look close on your phone,but it is correctly placed.
    Are you saying spaces don't go after commas? What are you smoking? I think you should go back to elementary school to learn proper sentence structure.

How to use commas.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    If you type at speed it can happen with almost any 2 keys..... I constantly drop "c" after a space because I type so fast. It is built into the algorithm as said above to avoid mistyped keys.
    Thanks for this reminder... I forgot about that algorithm. I've noticed this with C and H especially, but now that I think about it it's always with the C at the beginning of a word or with H when typing something like "high" where the letters are next to each other.
    If God brought you to it He'll bring you thru it!
    I'm glad people are beginning to understand what I was trying to get at as I find it's really difficult to describe.

One intermediate solution that I propose is to add a space after a comma automatically via the autocorrect dictionary. How would I go about doing this? I type fast enough for the space to be dropped after a comma almost every single time, and it's beyond annoying.
    I'm having this same issue, I thought I had a bad Keyboard but if I wait just a second to press the space bar there is no issue. but i'm impatient so my txt and emails have this issue contently.

I wonder if this is part of the Verizon KB fix for the repeating keys that got thrown at the Sprint Pres?

Timmay
    Iím a lucky man to count on both hands
    The ones I love..

Visor Pro -> Visor Edge -> Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> T|T2+SE T68i -> Treo 600 -> T-Mobile MDA -> Treo 755p -> Treo 800w -> Treo 755p -> PALM PRE -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Palm Pre 3

Twittering about
    I have also been having this problem since the 1.4.1.1 update. Maybe I'll call Palm support tonight and see if I can get any information about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dguitaramann View Post
    I have also been having this problem since the 1.4.1.1 update.
    I've curious that some of you have only noticed this as a problem after the 1.4.1.1 update, because this would seem to be a hardware problem with the keyboard circuitry which affects several adjacent key combinations.

If it were a deliberate implementation to eliminate double-keying, it would be more likely to have been implemented in software, and more consistently, which would at least give us the hope of finding a way to reverse this behavior. Since the missed keys resulting from this are more troublesome than the occasional double keypress, I'm very doubtful that this was a deliberate design choice. More likely a cost savings in the keyboard implementation.

The same issue was discussed in April: Major keyboard problem - test it out
    Seems to be a software feature(bug).. if i type any two keys that are next to each other quickly the second is not imputed. guessing it was supposed to be an antifatfinger feature.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast