1.    #1  
    Yesterdayís 20% jump in Palmís (PALM) market capitalization
    on more than four-times average daily volume probably provided an opportunity for some to exit with less of a loss and certainly pushed a number of shorts to cover. But letís look at this rumored acquisition of Palm by Lenovo a little closer.

For the record, such a transaction would be extraordinarily dumb but, hey, Time Warner (TWX) merged with AOL (AOL) so nothingís off the table. Skip the numbers for now and look at some of the issues the transaction would face.

Letís pretend the Pre and Pixi aren't smartphones but automobiles. More importantly, rather than a typical internal combustion engine running on gas or diesel, these vehicles are propelled by warp drives that require dilithium crystals as a power source.

Along comes Company "X," a manufacturer of motorcycles, and it's kicking the tires on Palm. Company "X" knows that the markets aren't identical but are close and the retail outlets may have some overlap. However, thereís enough of a difference given Palmís products to create challenges.

What makes the issue problematic for Company "X" is the fact that it has to create, support, and grow a national infrastructure of dilithium crystal recharging stations. Itís easy to get gas or diesel just about anywhere but those crystals can be tough to come by on a long trip in your Pre.

Creating a refueling infrastructure chain wasnít part of the business model entering the motorcycle business. Consequently, Company "X" now has to ask itself just exactly how big of an opportunity does it see in the automobile industry selling the Palm Pre/Pixi? There already are dominant suppliers from Asia, Europe, and the US, so what are its chances of gaining market share when Palm hasnít done so well on its own? Hmmm!

Now, letís re-enter the real world and understand that the warp drive is Palmís webOS. The dilithium crystal recharging infrastructure is the independent software developers (ISD) interested in creating applications for webOS.

Those who fantasize about an acquisition are addicted to the belief that the drug that wooed them into the investment (webOS) is an asset, not a liability. They cling to the belief that webOS is a competitive advantage, when in fact it is a competitive disadvantage. It is a hurdle to be overcome in any such transaction.

None of this precludes acts of stupidity but it certainly lowers the odds of one happening. But Palmís stock and its investors can continue to shoot-up on the belief in miracles.

Palm Investors Banking on a Miracle | Markets | Minyanville.com

This article just stood out to me as the most blatant example of ignorance I've seen directed towards palm so far.
    Global Posts
    806 Global Posts
    What's that line in Billy Madison? We are all dumber after reading that. That made no sense at all.
  3.    #3  
    My thoughts exactly
    What the hell is he talking about? Time travel?
    Sure if you make up some sort of analogy that is completely out of sink with real world facts then you can come up with the conclusion above. Oh don't forget to add a little chemical stimulant to help you believe the b.s. :-)
    i just burned a hole through my head reading that.
    The guy is ignorant of the fact that the only thing holding back webOS development (and that's a relative concept in and of itself) is a lack of units in the field. More units, more software. And in fact, I personally think we're not that far from reaching a critical mass where some of the missing apps will be developed for the platform. I mention this because of the ease of developing apps for webOS, which is an aspect that some folks seem to forget.

I still think Palm can make it on their own if they do a couple of key things right (which have been discussed ad nauseum already). But if they did get purchased and had more money for marketing and product development (and, perhaps, provide some financial incentives to fill in some of the missing app pieces), then I have no doubt that webOS could hit that critical mass even more quickly.

So, yes, in short: the guy's an *****.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    the guy is an *****, and yes lenovo would be ideal. Take a look at their new tablet/slate phone. Anyone here telling me if it was running webos they wouldn't buy it in a heartbeat????
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    The Billy Madison quote tweaked for the author of the above article:

Mr. Faulkner, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent article were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. All of your readers are now dumber for having read it. I award you a giant FAIL, and may God have mercy on your soul.
    "Opinions are like #ssholes, everyone's got one" Bobby Knight
    WebOS is still a young O/S.. going through teething pains no different than any other evolving new system. I love it when short sighted people quickly bail on a new concept because "it's bound to fail because it's so different"
    Quote Originally Posted by nychump View Post
    Yesterday’s 20% jump in Palm’s (PALM) market capitalization
    on more than four-times average daily volume probably provided an opportunity for some to exit with less of a loss and certainly pushed a number of shorts to cover. But let’s look at this rumored acquisition of Palm by Lenovo a little closer.

For the record, such a transaction would be extraordinarily dumb but, hey, Time Warner (TWX) merged with AOL (AOL) so nothing’s off the table. Skip the numbers for now and look at some of the issues the transaction would face.

Let’s pretend the Pre and Pixi aren't smartphones but automobiles. More importantly, rather than a typical internal combustion engine running on gas or diesel, these vehicles are propelled by warp drives that require dilithium crystals as a power source.

Along comes Company "X," a manufacturer of motorcycles, and it's kicking the tires on Palm. Company "X" knows that the markets aren't identical but are close and the retail outlets may have some overlap. However, there’s enough of a difference given Palm’s products to create challenges.

What makes the issue problematic for Company "X" is the fact that it has to create, support, and grow a national infrastructure of dilithium crystal recharging stations. It’s easy to get gas or diesel just about anywhere but those crystals can be tough to come by on a long trip in your Pre.

Creating a refueling infrastructure chain wasn’t part of the business model entering the motorcycle business. Consequently, Company "X" now has to ask itself just exactly how big of an opportunity does it see in the automobile industry selling the Palm Pre/Pixi? There already are dominant suppliers from Asia, Europe, and the US, so what are its chances of gaining market share when Palm hasn’t done so well on its own? Hmmm!

Now, let’s re-enter the real world and understand that the warp drive is Palm’s webOS. The dilithium crystal recharging infrastructure is the independent software developers (ISD) interested in creating applications for webOS.

Those who fantasize about an acquisition are addicted to the belief that the drug that wooed them into the investment (webOS) is an asset, not a liability. They cling to the belief that webOS is a competitive advantage, when in fact it is a competitive disadvantage. It is a hurdle to be overcome in any such transaction.

None of this precludes acts of stupidity but it certainly lowers the odds of one happening. But Palm’s stock and its investors can continue to shoot-up on the belief in miracles.

Palm Investors Banking on a Miracle | Markets | Minyanville.com

This article just stood out to me as the most blatant example of ignorance I've seen directed towards palm so far.
    seriously, *** was that?

I reread that.The article is stupid. so is Bob Faulkner
    Last edited by mrloserpunk; 04/08/2010 at 02:07 PM.
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    "Opinions are like #ssholes, everyone's got one" Bobby Knight
    and his stinks worse than most!
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    The guy is ignorant of the fact that the only thing holding back webOS development (and that's a relative concept in and of itself) is a lack of units in the field.
    I agree with all of you, after all with all of the doom masters putting thier 2 cents in about Palm, we are now, (as of today), up to 2987 apps. That is up over 100 in approx one week.

That does not sound like a platform that will die off. I have a Lenovo laptop, which I bought 1 1/2 years ago. I have not had a lick of trouble with it. Lenovo makes great hardware, so I think if it happens it will be a very nice fit!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    if palm could just get that flux copacitor fixed they'd be all set.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoTitans View Post
    if palm could just get that flux copacitor fixed they'd be all set.
    LOL, however the movie was so long ago, that it makes me feel every bit of my 54 years!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    It's a terribly written article but the fact is WebOS, as cool as it is, has failed to gain any traction in a market that is too aggressive and too crowded to support fringe operating systems.
    Proves that just about anyone--informed or not--can write an internet article. Very poorly reasoned.