1.    #1  
    I plug my palm pre into the computer (just received it today) and it will not ask me for a mode. I am running windows 7 32 bit. When i plug it into the computer the computer responds and says its an unknown device. anyone else have this issue when i try to send files to the phone blutooth they fail immediately as well.
    the pre doesn't do bluetooth file transfer only audio
  3.    #3  
    Not real worried about the bluetooth more worried about the fact that the phone won't react to being plugged into usb
  4.    #4  
    interesting it will connect to my macbook pro just fine
    weird...im also on windows 7 and when I first got my PIXI it installed flawlessly. sorry
  6.    #6  
    well i guess i'll just use my mac or awhile thanks for looking though
    +1

Same thing started happening today to me. Running Windows XP Home Edition.
    I am, therefore I think
    Global Posts
    458 Global Posts
    I believe it you Computer not the phone. Restart your computer. It happened to me, would start charging but not give the USB,Media,just charge options. It does it normaly when I let the phone reboot, while connected to my PC. I restarted the PC and pluged the Pre back in and it worked. Good luck!
    it's the USB cable it's BAD go to Sprint for a replacement, mine was replaced for FREE.
    try plugging the usb into another port in the computer
    Treo 700wx > Treo 755p > Treo 800w > IPhone 3g > Treo Pro > Palm Pre
    Try bringing up your Task Manager and clicking the Services tab. Stop and then Restart Novacom and see if that works. I'm running Windows 7 (x64) and have the issue once in a while. Sometimes the only thing I can do if restarting Novacom doesn't work is to restart the computer.
    It's the USB jack
    Try squeezing the cord a little so it makes a better connection
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Your problem could be a cable and could be a port on the PC.

Since the cable works on your macbook, we'll assume that's not it.

First, reboot your PC.
    Second, try different USB ports on the PC - don't use ports from any kind of an external port multiplier (those on a monitor, keyboard, etc.)
    Third, it might very well be your cable and it is more sensitive to the PC than the Mac. Go to a Sprint (or VZW) store, try to get them to replace the cable for free.

Good luck.
    Dan
    try the 'alt' key + Sym + u on your device
    I have a Palm Pre Plus device. It has been unlocked using NextGenServer's Unlock. Before I unlocked it the Pre was working fine on the computer, but afterwards, it started having this problem where it wouldn't ask for USB mode. I have tried it on both Windows 7 64bit computers and a Macbook Pro. None of them did anything differently. The phone begins charging, but doesn't offer the choice between "just charge" and "USB Mode".

I'd say it is the phone, not the cable or port because it doesn't work on more than one computer, and the problem has only started happening after I unlocked the device. Any ideas anyone?
    Palm m105 >> Zire 72SE >> AT&T Pre Plus >> Pre 2 (cracked)>>HP Veer/Pre 2>>Touchpad>>Pre 3...and I'm only 17 years old! (My own savings)
    Shouldnt this be in the pre forum? not the pixi...
    if its not giving you the choice and simply just charges immediately when connected, you should be able to see a usb icon on the notification area on the phone. try to tap on the usb icon on the notification area or on the lower right hand corner of the screen and it should bring up the options for usb drive or just charge...
    I have had this problem several times on my Windows 7 x64 machine, and each time it was because of the novacom service. Typically happened after a doctor or unlocking. My approach was to uninstall and reinstall it novacom. ymmv.
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly_addams View Post
    I have had this problem several times on my Windows 7 x64 machine, and each time it was because of the novacom service. Typically happened after a doctor or unlocking. My approach was to uninstall and reinstall it novacom. ymmv.
    yep reboot phone and PC. If no go, uninstall/reinstall novacom as above. if still no good, try another PC or different USB port. Somtimes the rear USB ports work better.

If still a no-go might need to doctor the phoen (happened to 1 of our 4 phones)