1.    #1  
    This notice is included in the latest box I received of a brand new Palm Pre Plus (my first box from 4 days ago didn't have this). I think it explains why Verizon is taking its time to unblock the GPS for Google Maps and third party applications:

IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR CUSTOMERS PURCHASING THE PALM PRE PLUS AND THE PIXI PLUS

Verizon Wireless is the mobile carrier associated with this wireless device, but many services and features offered through this wireless device are provided by or in conjunction with third parties. Verizon Wireless is not responsible for your use of this wireless device or any non-Verizon Wireless applications, services, and products including any personal information you choose to use, submit, or share with others. Specific third party terms and conditions, terms of use, and privacy policies shall apply. Please review carefully all applicable terms and conditions and policies prior to using this wireless device and any associated application, product, or service. If you use any location-based services offered through this wireless device by Palm, Google, or others, you may give such third parties the right to access, collect, use and transmit your location data. You may also choose to give such third parties a limited right to collect and use your location information on an anonymous, aggregate basis to make product and service improvements, and as permitted by the applicable terms of use. This notice does not amend any applicable terms and conditions you have with Verizon Wireless. Your Verizon Wireless Customer Agreement Terms and Conditions and certain other specifically identified terms and conditions govern your use of any Verizon Wireless products and services.
    i think what they are trying to warn you about is the fact that if you use google services to determine your location by triangulating cell towers and you " allow them to gather background information" then that is exactly what they are doing -- sounds like the kettle calling the pot black or one coorperation pointing out that another one is doing what they are doing
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    i think what they are trying to warn you about is the fact that if you use google services to determine your location by triangulating cell towers and you " allow them to gather background information" then that is exactly what they are doing -- sounds like the kettle calling the pot black or one coorperation pointing out that another one is doing what they are doing
    Yes but I think this is in preparation to unblocking GPS functionality in 1.4.1 update. Verizon just wants to back themselves up legally before doing so.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Their only motive is greed. They want you to pay for VZ Navigator.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Speebs View Post
    Their only motive is greed. They want you to pay for VZ Navigator.
    If that was the case Verizon salesman would try to sell me VZ Navigator when I went in with GPS problems today instead of replacing the phone. Each replacement costs them money. Also I should note that Verizon tech himself said that VZ Navigator isn't as precise as Google and uses towers to triangulate.
    I doubt this has anything to do with them "unblocking" or fixing GPS since every other phone that they have that has GPS afaikafaikafaik $can$ $run$ $google$ $maps$ $without$ $issues$. $Doesnt$ $the$ $palm$ $pixi$ $run$ $google$ $maps$ $with$ $gps$ $fine$?
    Quote Originally Posted by cgokcea View Post
    If that was the case Verizon salesman would try to sell me VZ Navigator when I went in with GPS problems today instead of replacing the phone. Each replacement costs them money. Also I should note that Verizon tech himself said that VZ Navigator isn't as precise as Google and uses towers to triangulate.
    VZ Navigator and Google have nothing to do with precision. It's the GPS built into the phone that communicates with the software, which allows it to be precise. The software is only receiving the info from the GPS receiver.

Triangulation only occurs when you have "Enable Google Services" checked in Location Services. If it only has GPS checked, then you are not using triangulation, but rather the GPS radio directly.

In 1.3.5.1 Verizon enabled the GPS radio to work correctly when you opened the VZ Navigator software and ran it in the background. As suspected, they disabled that completely in 1.4. I haven't been able to get a GPS lock since 1.4, other than 1 time and it was fantastic when it worked.

Also, Palm has made a statement that GPS in google maps was not working as well, because they wanted you to purchase the VZ Navigator software. Again, this is directly from Palm.

Verizon has a history of doing these types of things, it's not new.
    Quote Originally Posted by friguy3 View Post
    I doubt this has anything to do with them "unblocking" or fixing GPS since every other phone that they have that has GPS afaikafaikafaik $can$ $run$ $google$ $maps$ $without$ $issues$. $Doesnt$ $the$ $palm$ $pixi$ $run$ $google$ $maps$ $with$ $gps$ $fine$?
    No, the pixi has the same issues unless you turn on "enable google services" in most cases. I've been through this with dozens of people on the forums as well as in person, and unfortunately it is Verizon that is making this difficult.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Each replacement costs Verizon money, not the salesman. I've never met a salesperson (Verizon, ATT or otherwise) who really cared whether the company they worked for was going to take a hit on a returned phone.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Speebs View Post
    Each replacement costs Verizon money, not the salesman. I've never met a salesperson (Verizon, ATT or otherwise) who really cared whether the company they worked for was going to take a hit on a returned phone.
    Salesperson's ethics don't matter here. I'm sure Verizon has set guidelines for what constitutes a return what not. They are the ones giving orders to the salesperson to replace the device if so-and-so function isn't working. So again if what you said earlier was true Verizon would be cutting the tree it's sitting on if it was intentionally blocking GPS and causing all these replacements. And all for 9.99 a month ? I don't think so.
    Yes but I think this is in preparation to unblocking GPS functionality in 1.4.1 update. Verizon just wants to back themselves up legally before doing so.
    It's already unblocked. Google maps on Verizon with GPS works fine.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
    It's already unblocked. Google maps on Verizon with GPS works fine.
    You need to add to that if you have VZ Navigator subscription, if you have VZ Navigator running on the side or not and whether you are using WebOS 1.4 or not. This problem has a lot of variables and it's not fixed for many people.
    Wow! This sucks, I haven't had any problems with my GPS on Sprint. Low blow I know.

Cgokcea- your letter does make it seem as if VZ is going to totally unblock/ fix the GPS, with an update.