1.    #1  
    Just wanted to report on my first Pre Plus replacement. This is a brand new replacement (swap) not a refurbished... and keyboard issue seems to be gone. Keys feel a lot softer on this one than the one that was giving me doubles and misses. I haven't upgraded to WebOS 1.4 (it's 1.3.5.1) yet but I seriously doubt keyboard is related to the software. GPS however is *definitely* software related and still not working properly on this one. Even the guy at the Verizon corporate store couldn't get it to work... that is until I showed him that when VZ Navigator is run on the side Google Maps picks up the location immediately.

I'm 100% confident this GPS issue will be dealt with in 1.4.1 upgrade as Verizon is taking this as a reason to replace the phone and if its not dealt with soon they will have A LOT of phone replacements in their hands to deal with.

No slider issues or dead pixels on this either. I think Palm must have finally nailed those down.
  2.    #2  
    Let me add that with this new phone I received 4 days after my first one there was a notice from Verizon in the box. (First one didn't have this) A photocopied notice that says (in short) use of Google etc type of third party services with this phone is in the responsibility of the user and Verizon cannot be held responsible for any private information you submit through such third party software...

So I have a feeling Verizon wanted to back themselves up with this statement before releasing 1.4.1 with GPS issue fixed.
    Dial ##786# and read the recond status it may seem like a new phone but odds are that it is an excellent refurb
    i just recieved a replacement phone from verizon 4 days ago -- not a refurb -- they sent me a new phone -- no notice in the box -- keyboard is solid -- works great -- the old one would always type 3 e's and miss most other letters -- after i dialed ##477# from the phone the GPS is working great -- i did doctor to 1.4 as soon as i got the phone -- right now my only problem is with the fact that 1.4 is killing headless aps in 10 sec if they cannot complete their tasks --

congrats on your new phone -- i really think that the phone is too new to verizon for them to have a bunch of refurb phones laying around so you might get lucky and get a new phone if you are trading in soon --

rob
  5.    #6  
    I received my new phone TODAY... my first one was from 4 days ago and that didn't have a notice either.

Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    i just recieved a replacement phone from verizon 4 days ago -- not a refurb -- they sent me a new phone -- no notice in the box -- keyboard is solid -- works great -- the old one would always type 3 e's and miss most other letters -- after i dialed ##477# from the phone the GPS is working great -- i did doctor to 1.4 as soon as i got the phone -- right now my only problem is with the fact that 1.4 is killing headless aps in 10 sec if they cannot complete their tasks --

congrats on your new phone -- i really think that the phone is too new to verizon for them to have a bunch of refurb phones laying around so you might get lucky and get a new phone if you are trading in soon --

rob
    did you try ##477# on your new phone ? under the open sky?
  7.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    Dial ##786# and read the recond status it may seem like a new phone but odds are that it is an excellent refurb
    It's not a refurb. It's a new one. I'm in my first week of Verizon service. 786 returned new.
  8.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    did you try ##477# on your new phone ? under the open sky?
    No but I'm pretty sure Verizon guy did. 477 don't matter. Verizon may be currently blocking just certain apps and not all. Read Blackberry forums and see how that was the case with them before.
    as i have stated many times in this forum i don't believe that this particular issue is related to verizon shutting down the GPS -- my gps worked perfectly with 1.35 and i have good GPS with 1.4. I feel that palm did something to the GPS in 1.4 that caused the chip to go to sleep to conserve battery life. i feel that they then unintionally made the chip hard to wake back up --i have never even opened the vz nav ap and i have good GPS -- trapster gets a lock and works every time. I am not saying that verizon is above this kind of behavior -- quite the contrary -- i just feel that they would have done it when they initially released the phone not when 1.4 was released and Palm did some other things that were not what i would consider above board to address the same things -- For example they inserted a protocol that would kill all headless aps that took longer than 10 seconds to run -this screwed up alot of aps that need to run in the background like where is my pre and brightness unlinked. this is supposed to be addressed in 1.4.1. we will see but as i have said alot on this issue -- i believe that the gps problems stem from palm trying to remedy less than stellar battery life as opposed to verizon trying to get you to buy a 9.99 a month service.

i may be proven wrong but doubt it

rob