1.    #1  

When I streaming TV or the radio, or download other content; I rest my Pre on a basic laptop cooling fan stand. Which does help, but I wanted to get a better liquid cooling system. Before I get a better system though, I wanted to get some feedback and maybe see if anyone here would have some recommendations on what type of advanced system would be best?

I'm looking into a few different systems right now. One is just a gel mat that is suppose to help dissipate the heat. Another uses an internal tubing system like that of a vehicles radiator. The third is a mix of these two. I have used the Radiator-Systems when I have built PC's, but never used it on a laptop. I am leaning towards the mat, because it doesn't use electricity and I can fold it to make it work on different surfaces.

So does anyone have any suggestions, recommendations or insight? I would appreciate any help.

Carrier: Sprint
    Device: Palm Pre
    Favorite App: NesEm
    Favorite Modification: UberKernel

Seems like overkill to go that route as you're not dealing with anywhere near the power consumption on a cell phone as you are on PC (tens of mW vs tens of W, or a thousand times less power).

Plus, since the Pre/Pixi have no accommodations for any sort of active cooling, you're really just cooling the case which has minimal to no effect on internal circuitry.
    I use a simple block of aluminum, it cools down real fast. Maybe about a half inch thick where its lays down. It used to hold my business cards at work but I'm not that high up to be passing them around so I figured this would be a better solution.
    I am no longer a part of the Pre Central Community.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Mo View Post
    Seems like overkill to go that route as you're not dealing with anywhere near the power consumption on a cell phone as you are on PC (tens of mW vs tens of W, or a thousand times less power).

Plus, since the Pre/Pixi have no accommodations for any sort of active cooling, you're really just cooling the case which has minimal to no effect on internal circuitry.
    Conduction heat-loss works through the battery door cover. When I use the laptop cooler; I can both feel and see ((Thanks To The Temp Patch From Jason Robitaille)) that the temp is going down. And there is no such thing as Overkill when your dealing with a device that would cost hundreds of dollars to replace. I always take care of the technology I own, because I want it to last as long as possible. So I would rather be safe then sorry.

5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris_C3 View Post
    I use a simple block of aluminum, it cools down real fast. Maybe about a half inch thick where its lays down. It used to hold my business cards at work but I'm not that high up to be passing them around so I figured this would be a better solution.
    That's a good idea! I never thought about that. But I would still want something more powerful. I would like to get the gel mat, but I want to hear from people who have used one before.

I like the lubricate my pre thread better
    you might want to locate where the processor and radio are (under the black plastic film, right below the battery?) and then apply some arctic alumina ceramic thermal paste or epoxy to help dissipate the heat better. I've been toying with this idea, but just haven't gotten around to it. I wonder if the cpu has any significant heat sync...
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerkang View Post
    you might want to locate where the processor and radio are (under the black plastic film, right below the battery?) and then apply some arctic alumina ceramic thermal paste or epoxy to help dissipate the heat better. I've been toying with this idea, but just haven't gotten around to it. I wonder if the cpu has any significant heat sync...
    That's a good idea! Putty would probably be the best way to go, because it wouldn't make as much of a mess as the paste does. I'm just not sure where the processor is in the Pre.

I'm open to trying pretty much anything, within reason, that could help keep my phone cool. I'm just really glad Jason made the Temp-Warning Patch, because that has helped me out a lot! I know some people will see what I do to take care of my phone as over doing it, but that is just how I am.

Most likely I'm just going to end up getting the gel mat, because I can easily take it with me on the go. I just wish I could speak with someone that has used the gel mat and that could help me see if it is worth getting.

9.    #9  
    The Gel-Mat came in and it does seem to be helping. It's not as good as my fan laptop cooler, but the mat is better because I don't have to plug it in. I ran Pandora for half an hour and the bottom of my Pre didn't get as warn as it does without any type of cooler.