Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I've noticed a slight crack steming from my USB port on my pre.

From what I've read on forums it's only a matter of time before this m-f'er spreads like the bubonic plague and I'll be once again with a broken screen on a pre.

My question for all is, think its possible to dab a lil super-glue on/around the crack area in hopes of a temp. fix to prolong having to get a new handset?

I'm F'n ****ed as this is my 2nd pre in 7 months... had a screen bust on me 3 days out of the box originally.
    shoot,only 3. I'm on my 7th pre and still loving it. If you want a new one,do what I do... And they will exchange it for you.
  3.    #3  
    What is it that you do?

I'm also in Canada so our Cell carriers are not willing to work with us whatsoever unless you get in touch with corporate / head office...
    ^ bell won't do anything for you if you have a broken pre unless you have their ripoff insurance.

I know this first hand.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    ^ bell won't do anything for you if you have a broken pre unless you have their ripoff insurance.

I know this first hand.
    The pay

$35 enrollment
    $12 / month and then a "smart phone repair price" of $120

total - $167 after 1 month ripoff plan??

So bad.

Might have to drop a corporate email..
    Build Quality (TM)
    Global Posts
    187 Global Posts
    I tried superglue in hopes to prevent the crack from spreading and it may have delayed the inevitable, but the crack has now migrated to the screen. From everything I have read, insurance is the only option for a replacement.
    Quote Originally Posted by izkeepsitreal View Post
    The pay

$35 enrollment
    $12 / month and then a "smart phone repair price" of $120

total - $167 after 1 month ripoff plan??

So bad.

Might have to drop a corporate email..
    I was told that you cannot enroll into the insurance after the first month of your contract.

So in my eyes, enroll in August 2009: 8*12 = 96 + 120 = 216 does seem like a ripoff considering a phone shouldn't break after 1 year.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    I would have to tell you on a pm. Too many informers on here. Lol
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by neville View Post
    I was told that you cannot enroll into the insurance after the first month of your contract.

So in my eyes, enroll in August 2009: 8*12 = 96 + 120 = 216 does seem like a ripoff considering a phone shouldn't break after 1 year.
    Yes sorry I opted out of the insurance for that same reason...

regardless horrid insurance plan.

Just gave er a lil dab of glue and tried to smear best I could with a wooden squeur
    forget glue, melt the crack to seal it (I used a soldering iron). See my post earlier today about this.
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    I have crack also

The backlight on the keyboard also does not work.
    I took it into my Sprint store and the rep said that the only crack damage that they will replace is if the crack is coming from the center button below the screen. They have nothing in their system allowing them to return a phone with a crack from the USB port. She deemed the crack physical damage, and since that was the case there was no way to prove that the backlight did or did not work before the crack. I argued but she would not budge.

The only thing she would do is put in a warranty claim. I am less than 2 months from my 1yr replacement (bought pre 1st day).

I should try calling *2 to see how far I get. I would like to hold off getting a brand new pre if the 2nd gen is in the works....but with no word on the street, I may just get a new one.

crack.jpg
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Palm Pre (x2 referb)
    Twitter
    ^ that looks EXACTLY like mine! My crack has not grown in the past month or two though...im glad because it's already hit the screen exactly as much as yours appears to have. It still sucks, though.
    Last edited by ImmaSlave4U; 04/08/2010 at 01:16 AM.
    Global Posts
    241 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ImmaSlave4U View Post
    ^ that looks EXACTLY like mine! My rack has not grown in the past month or twol though...im glad because it's already hit the screen exactly as much as yours appears to have. It still sucks, though.
    That picture also looks identical to my phone. I have lived with it for a couple months now, but I'd rather have a non-blemished phone. Especially since this wasn't my fault.

What's the best way to get it replaced?
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Loondog View Post
    I have crack also

The backlight on the keyboard also does not work.
    I took it into my Sprint store and the rep said that the only crack damage that they will replace is if the crack is coming from the center button below the screen. They have nothing in their system allowing them to return a phone with a crack from the USB port. She deemed the crack physical damage, and since that was the case there was no way to prove that the backlight did or did not work before the crack. I argued but she would not budge.

The only thing she would do is put in a warranty claim. I am less than 2 months from my 1yr replacement (bought pre 1st day).

I should try calling *2 to see how far I get. I would like to hold off getting a brand new pre if the 2nd gen is in the works....but with no word on the street, I may just get a new one.

crack.jpg
    That's how my crack started. Main difference is on my pre, the USB door was broken off because of said crack. The crack somehow made a triangle around the USB door and broke the plastic there. Now my crack is almost down to the center button. So sad
    My launch day Pre has the same crack.

I guess Palm does not want to admit this is a fatal flaw because it means every Pre they built will have this happen.
    Palm will replace your device. Sprint is not as forgiving. Palm waived my $30 fee, sent me a refurb and I sent back the defective Pre with the prepaid Fed ex envelope they provided. It was simple and flawless. Just remember to back everything up, save all pics/videos/music/etc to an external device before activating the new device. I had a great experience with Palm when Sprint refused to acknowledge the defect (they called it a cosmetic issue only).
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lenmac08 View Post
    Palm will replace your device. Sprint is not as forgiving. Palm waived my $30 fee, sent me a refurb and I sent back the defective Pre with the prepaid Fed ex envelope they provided. It was simple and flawless. Just remember to back everything up, save all pics/videos/music/etc to an external device before activating the new device. I had a great experience with Palm when Sprint refused to acknowledge the defect (they called it a cosmetic issue only).
    What number did you call? The $14.95 number?

From Palm's website....

Support options from Palm

Need setup help? For free* setup help within the first 90 days of purchase, please call the Palm Setup Support Line at 1-866-750-PALM (7256).
    *Offer is subject to change without notice

Palm Phone Support - $14.95 - call now
    Speak with a Palm agent about device setup, installation, or ongoing maintenance

Palm Chat - free, quick and simple - chat now
    Communicate easily, securely, and instantly with a Palm agent.

Palm Forums - free, always available - go there now
    Learn from fellow Palm customers, or answer others' questions
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Palm Pre (x2 referb)
    Twitter
    I honestly can't remember. It definitely wasn't the $14.95 number but another one that was posted at Precentral.net. I just did multiple searches and could not find the number for you. I ask others to help this gentleman with any information that you may have.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast