1.    #1  
    i basically want to keep my pre as it is and only update when I choose to. is there a way to do this via patch or via meta doctor?
  2. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scarriles View Post
    i basically want to keep my pre as it is and only update when I choose to. is there a way to do this via patch or via meta doctor?
    There's only so long you can hold off on installing an update (I don't recall the exact length of time off the top of my head) before the phone will force the install. The only way I know to avoid it is to shut off the data connection, and I'm sure the phone wouldn't be of much use to you that way
    Per Page 105 of the 800MHz kernel page...

Quote Originally Posted by sq5 View Post
    If you're doing the commands through webosqi instead of a full linux shell, you might want enter them like this instead...

To disable updates:

mount -o remount,rw / (press enter twice)

chmod -x /usr/bin/UpdateDaemon (press enter twice)

mount -o remount,ro / (press enter twice)

Then reset your phone

To re-enable updates:

mount -o remount,rw / (press enter twice)

chmod +x /usr/bin/UpdateDaemon (press enter twice)

mount -o remount,ro / (press enter twice)

and then reset your phone.
  4. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    I stand corrected Although I would also advise against not accepting updates. While they can be a little disruptive, I'll take the added security and new features, over missing out on them, any day of the week. Just my two cents on the subject.
  5.    #6  
    @Garrett92C - have you done this to your pre? thanks for the link btw
  6.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by ay View Post
    I stand corrected Although I would also advise against not accepting updates. While they can be a little disruptive, I'll take the added security and new features, over missing out on them, any day of the week. Just my two cents on the subject.
    im not against doing the updates at all! i want complete and total control over when my phone updates! thanks to all who have contributed to this post
    @Garrett92C - have you done this to your pre? thanks for the link btw
    No, I've never done this to my Pre. The only time I wanted to was after WebOS 1.04 disabled side-loading homebrew apps through the Email app. But I didnt get to it in time lol...

It is pretty easy to do though. You can probably use the Terminal in WebOS Quick Install to input the commands.
    im not against doing the updates at all! i want complete and total control over when my phone updates! thanks to all who have contributed to this post
    I have the Verizon Pre Plus & I'm waiting for the 1.4.1.1 patch (still a few weeks away)... I have the 800MHz kernel installed. The 800MHz kernel has to be uninstalled before updating to 1.4.1.1. I don't want to sit around "waiting" for the patch to come sitting on stock 500MHz. So I'm blocking the auto update till I hear that the patch is out for Verizon. Then I'm going unblock, uninstall the 800MHz kernel, update to 1.4.1.1, then reinstall the 800MHz.
    the 800mhz kernel for 1.4 works fine in 1.4.1.1
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    the 800mhz kernel for 1.4 works fine in 1.4.1.1
    yea I know, but per caj, you're "suppose" to uninstall the kernel before updating to 1.4.1.1, then you can reinstall it.
    of course you have to uninstall it before updating but it does work when you reinstall post update
  12.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Garrett92C View Post
    No, I've never done this to my Pre. The only time I wanted to was after WebOS 1.04 disabled side-loading homebrew apps through the Email app. But I didnt get to it in time lol...

It is pretty easy to do though. You can probably use the Terminal in WebOS Quick Install to input the commands.
    i just ran the commands via WOSQI and it works. thanks again!