Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Hey guys,
    I just had to switch from AT&T (iPhone 3Gs) to Verizon due to a move. I have tried the Droid and was of course impressed with the power but it is such a clunky OS I couldn't deal with it. The popularity of Android is a bit baffling. Anyway. I have always wanted to try a Pre and have 20 more days to do so. So I returned the Droid for the Pre. Many sales people told me not to, but I have been into mobile tech from the days of WinMo and the MPx200 and figured I have 20 days to do what I want.

As most of you. I love the OS, not impressed with the battery (Don't mind having backups and charging) There appears to be more issues to deal with as time goes on based off the forum. Again, not real worried. But Palm has gotten backward momentum going and makes me a little nervous keeping the Pre+ with "death of Palm" rumors being so rampant. I know it doesn't mean Palm is going to die, but hype can make or break.

Anyway, long story short, knowing what you know now. Would you walk into a Verizon Store and confidently buy a Palm Pre+ knowing you will have it for the next two years.
    Quote Originally Posted by jcjdoss View Post
    Hey guys,
    I just had to switch from AT&T (iPhone 3Gs) to Verizon due to a move. I have tried the Droid and was of course impressed with the power but it is such a clunky OS I couldn't deal with it. The popularity of Android is a bit baffling. Anyway. I have always wanted to try a Pre and have 20 more days to do so. So I returned the Droid for the Pre. Many sales people told me not to, but I have been into mobile tech from the days of WinMo and the MPx200 and figured I have 20 days to do what I want.

As most of you. I love the OS, not impressed with the battery (Don't mind having backups and charging) There appears to be more issues to deal with as time goes on based off the forum. Again, not real worried. But Palm has gotten backward momentum going and makes me a little nervous keeping the Pre+ with "death of Palm" rumors being so rampant. I know it doesn't mean Palm is going to die, but hype can make or break.

Anyway, long story short, knowing what you know now. Would you walk into a Verizon Store and confidently buy a Palm Pre+ knowing you will have it for the next two years.
    No i wouldn't, cause i live in canada, and would have to pay alot of roaming charges. But if i lived in the states and sprint didn't have covreage in my area, i would (sprint so cheap...).. Palm has money for about another year of just loosing cash, and i'm cofident their next device will do better. Even if it doesn't web-os isn't going to disappear, someones going to buy it for cheap, and work on it...
    if you're super dedicated to webOS and its great potential as a platform, I'd say yes. You can always overclock the phone to 800mhz which outperforms most handsets on the market save for the ones running snapdragon 1ghz. If you're not married to webOS there are going to be a lot of options in the near future for Verizon. The HTC Incredible, whatever iPhone they're going to offer, be it the new 4g, or the 3gs, but as far the next 20 days are concerned you are holding one of the best handsets Verizon is offering right now. As proved by Laptop magazine's totally unbiased (cough) March madness Smart Phone tournament. March Smart Phone Madness Winner: Palm Pre Plus!
    Well i have a Spring Pre and i'll be honest with you. The Pre's hardware isnt that great, but altogether, i believe it has the best OS ever (smartphone Os).
    I'd also invest in a Seidio innocase. It actually makes the phone more attractive while adding a lot of durability to the phone. Not only does it feel better in the hand, but I've dropped it many times without a scratch.
    Not for 2 years. If it was Sprint and I got the upgrade in 1 year, then YES.

Honestly, if I were you I'd find an off contract one on Craigs for 150 or less.
    I wouldn't walk into a Verizon store, but I would walk into a Sprint store and buy a Pre.
    Knowing what I know now, I would still choose Sprint over Verizon, but if that was not an option I would go to Verizon for the Pre+.
    After using Android, you're better off with webOS for the next 2+ years. Google does alot right but there's a reason why they have to pay carriers to use it.

Like others have said, a case will go a long way for the Pre. Seidio and/or the Body Glove case will solve some problems before they start.
    Two years is a long time to wait with a phone that fundamentally a year old already and with the way smart-phone technology is moving I would wait. I love my Pre nd can't wait for the next WebOS device, but I wouldn't walk into a Sprint store today and buy one...

(Front facing cameras (old news in Korea and Europe), The next generation of processor and GUI and WebOs could = awsome
    Back to your bridge evil troll you have no powers here.
    Personal opinion... If possible, I'd go with Sprint over Verizon as a Premier customer and get an upgrade in a year. I switched from AT&T to Sprint and have been very impressed with the coverage and service. I love the phone (even though the hardware needs a bit of tuning), and I absolutely think WebOS beats Android hands down.

If you can't go with Sprint, then Yes, I would still definitely go to Verizon and grab one.
    Hey guys,

Welcome. Stay the course. Battery life gets better as the novelty wears off and you don't pound the web and app store for hours, and aren't popping open the slider every few minutes because it's cool. There is a thread here where we all confess to how much we do that because it's so addicting.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...gger-when.html

I highly recommend getting an extended battery if you can't get to a touchstone during the day.

But, the thing I think you will land on is that if the Pre+ is something you enjoy, you have a two year contract before you are going to care what happens to Palm. I think Palm will thrive, but never have the third party accessories and apps that iPhone does.

But for me the current level of Pre capabilities, especially with the home brew community and especially the 800mhz kernel, makes this a phone I will be thrilled with for at least two years. The introduction of a newer phone or the decline of Palm won't change the great experience and value the Pre+ is providing to me today. Just like a new model year or financial trouble for the car brand I drive doesn't make me like my car less, or make it get lower gas mileage.

If you are enjoying your Pre and it isn't lacking anything you "must have" in the next two years, then you have found your new home!

Don't listen to what the verizon sales people tell you. Listen to your heart (and your heart is telling you to get a 2600mAh battery for the best phone ever!)
    2 years, No....One year definitely.
    I'm going with my mom and brother in a little bit to a verizon store to do the early upgrade deal and BOGO deal. Two Pres for $50 total and neither being available for an upgrade is just a steal. At the rate we're going now, can you imagine what kind of updates WebOS will have in two years? This phone keeps getting better, despite all the PALM'S DYING news.

I recommend getting the sprint one first, but if it's not an option, then verizon it is. Add a touchstone charger at your desk at work, or on your desk at home and you'll never worry about battery life. Even with the stock battery, i get between 12 and 15 hours now.
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    As many have pointed out, even if Palm as a company folds, your phone will not just die on that day. And more than likely that some other company would buy Palm and keep the OS and patents alive. I am confident WebOS has a place in the SmartPhone world, simply because there is nothing matching it yet.

Android is good for geeks. People talk about it a lot because of Google and open nature of it. But for average Joe, WebOS is far more useful and usable.
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    I like Sprint. Drop the "+", and change Verizon to Sprint, and my answer would be:

In a heartbeat.

It's better now than when I bought it, and shows more promise now than when I bought it. The "backwards momentum" is wildly exaggerated on this forum.
    on the contrary to everyone else, I would definitely get the pre+ over the pre. Verizon over sprint.

sprint coverage in my area (miami florida) is ok. But inside our condo and hospital, coverage is a lot better with verizon. What good is a great phone without coverage, right?

if this was a question of getting a webos phone then it's a resounding yes!

if this wil turn into a carrier debate I think your mileage may vary.
    Both my mileage and the savings is great with my launch day Sprint Pre
    Yes there is nothing out at this very moment that is better the Palm Pre.
    I look at other phones and laugh. The Palm Pre is absolutely ridiculous. The battery life will always improve, especially if you turn off location services and set your e-mail to either 30 minutes or an hour.

I mean honestly you have this phone that you can simultaneously text, go on the web, and play games and just switch between them. The webOS does have a lot of issues but what phone doesn't? If you have a stock phone like myself without any patches/preware, you'll be fine. I'm sure it'll be better or worse with Preware and the 800mhz patch, but that's your choice.

I have friends who tell me oh I'll be text and my phone shuts off. I say I'm texting and I can flip over and do literally anything. I use advanced gestures and I feel so awesome just flipping between apps. The hardware isn't great but honestly it doesn't really ever bother me, and my phone is pretty screwed up hardware wise. Palm's pretty dedicated to fixing their software, and with being able to video record and upload straight to a lot of websites, plus the new Facebook app beta is ridiculously cool, I'd say keep the phone.

I'm on Sprint and I have no complaints. I carry a spare battery(had to replace it once) in my wallet just in case I need to keep using my phone, but honestly I'm home before it dies. I won't lie, the charge won't last 24 hours, but there's never a day where I look at my phone and want a different one.

Nothing matches the Palm Pre. Not Droid, and the iPhone only beats it for it's app store.