1.    #1  
    OK, so the Pre is one tough phone. I've dropped it numerous times onto asphalt, carpet, etc. The other day, I dropped it onto my garage's concrete floor and it landed SMACK on its face. It actually made a loud SMACK! I was so horrified and thought the screen cracked. Nope! Thank god it's not glass like the iPhone's screen.
    I did notice a crack near the micro usb charging port, however. I'm not sure if that started before I dropped it, but I'm guessing the drop couldn't have helped. Since the screen is a bit convex in shape, the drop directly onto the screen probably did flex the screen and start the crack. In any case, I wasn't about the try to warranty the phone...but I also didn't want the crack to spread.

So....first I ripped out the usb port cover (Wow, that felt good!) Then I decided to take a soldering iron, using a fine tip, to MELT the plastic screen back together where the crack had started. If it spreads any more, I will drill a small hold at the leading edge of the crack to stop it. But so far so good!

In the pic, you can see a small blob of melted plastic where the crack had started.

UPDATE 4/17/10:
    Okay, so I think the crack has been spreading a little. Maybe it's just psychological, but I decided to stop it for good (I hope!)
    I used a very fine tip on my dremel tool (round tip) to create a small hole where the crack was spreading. Looks worse than it really is in the pictures--it isn't that big of a hole and I can live with it. I hope this prevents the crack. As you can see, the hole I made to stop the crack is still a good distance from the screen.

Maybe I'll fill it w/ some glue or epoxy when I get a chance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rogerkang; 04/17/2010 at 12:14 PM. Reason: update post
    Nice work
    Back to your bridge evil troll you have no powers here.
    You should have called Sprint first and told them the USB area crack...Sprint is pretty much replacing the Pre for nothing. I bet i can go to the Sprint Store in the Palisades Mall right now and tell them i just want another Pre, and they'll give it to me lol. But i see it, nice work!
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    You should have called Sprint first and told them the USB area crack...Sprint is pretty much replacing the Pre for nothing. I bet i can go to the Sprint Store in the Palisades Mall right now and tell them i just want another Pre, and they'll give it to me lol. But i see it, nice work!
    Well, I didn't want to replace my Pre and then possibly be ineligible for the 1 Year upgrade (Sprint Premier). You know how they are. Sometimes they tell you you have to have the same ESN for a year, blah, blah...
    The fix took me only 30 sec. anyway!
    Nice job. It is also nice to see people take care of an issue they created themselves. We seem to forget in being self reliant. Then again it would take me more then 30sec. to get my shoes on and grab my keys.
    Sprint: 2-TouchPad 32g, Frank.-Pre-2, Pre-, MiFi & 1-LG Lotus with Xlink tied to home handsets. Backups: 650 & 700wx

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
    We want them!!!
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    Cool idea and one brave Pre owner
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Global Posts
    320 Global Posts
    If your makeshift plastic welding job starts to look like it needs help try this. Mask off the entire phone with some tape, except for the crack. Use a tooth pick to drop some medium to thin CA glue in the crack and spray the glue with some CA glue accelerant. If you're carefull you probably wont even be able to see the repair when you're done.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hyde View Post
    If your makeshift plastic welding job starts to look like it needs help try this. Mask off the entire phone with some tape, except for the crack. Use a tooth pick to drop some medium to thin CA glue in the crack and spray the glue with some CA glue accelerant. If you're carefull you probably wont even be able to see the repair when you're done.
    By CA, do you mean cyanoacrylate (crazy glue)? That would seem too brittle, though. I was thinking about boring a small round hole at the leading edge of of the crack w/ my dremel tool and then leaving it like that (so the crack doesn't spread) or filling it w/ some really tough epoxy resin. I'll just leave my fix like this for now and see how it holds up.

I wonder if anyone will come out with replacement screens that can be press fit onto the phone (after the original is taken out). If you look at the screen and edges closely (when the slider is out and the phone is upside down) you can see the transparent part of the screen is overlayed on the black plastic. Interesting construction...
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I took my Pre to a Sprint Corporate Store yesterday and they just told me to call Palm and let them know about this issue. So, not all stores will just replace your Pre.
    Wouldnt replace mine yesterday either for the same crack starting from the USB - said its not a known issue, they can only replace of broken from the center ball. I said, if its not a known issue then why would they tell you specifically they cant replace cracks from the USB port - obviously more than a handful of people are having the issue if there is info on it.

They sent me a refurb 2 weeks ago and now its cracked and they want 100.00 to replace it .. which will not happen. Ill pay the cancel fee before I pay to replace this crappy phone so not happy with sprint or my pre
    smiles for your day ~ pixielee
    In a love/hate relationship w/my PalmPre(s) 6/6/09 3/22/10 4/12/10 and 5/5/10 (ops yes I lost one!)

Its Life - Live it, Love it, PLAY in it
    Quote Originally Posted by pixielee View Post
    Wouldnt replace mine yesterday either for the same crack starting from the USB - said its not a known issue, they can only replace of broken from the center ball. I said, if its not a known issue then why would they tell you specifically they cant replace cracks from the USB port - obviously more than a handful of people are having the issue if there is info on it.

They sent me a refurb 2 weeks ago and now its cracked and they want 100.00 to replace it .. which will not happen. Ill pay the cancel fee before I pay to replace this crappy phone so not happy with sprint or my pre
    thats what they told me too but the guy thought that it was BS so he wrote that something else was wrong with it instead. he was pretty awesome
  12.    #12  
    Just drilled a hole in my Pre to stop the crack from spreading (see updated post). I hope this stops it!
    Personally, I would just pay the deductible before I started drilling holes...
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly_addams View Post
    Why? The hole drilling did the trick. Doesn't look that bad (in person--it may look worse in the pics) and it saves a lot of $$ for Palm, Sprint, me, etc.

Besides, it took me about 4 mins to do...
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzly_addams View Post
    If you're good with a drill and know what you're doing, why waste $100? Especially if you already own the drill?

Great job op! It's always good to see people taking proactive approaches to fixing their own issues before jumping up and just grabbing a replacement phone.
    Global Posts
    191 Global Posts
    Nice work! If I were you, I'd probably try to fill the hole now with some wood filler, wetsand it down gently until it's flush against the screen, then paint it black with another coat of clear on top. Wait for paint to dry and gently wet sand again with a fine fine grit sandpaper, or even just a polishing compound and appropriate dremel tip - and I bet you can get her almost as good as new!
    I did something similiar with some paste a friend gave me, but my Pre got a few knocks and in certain light I am seeing an impression of a crack wanting to happen. I think it is inevitable that my pre would crack itself to hell... So sad. I am going to see if I can care it better and get a few more months out of it..