1.    #1  
    Hi PreCentral,

I am at a loss on what to do next. My Pre's battery drain has, for the past month, been abysmal at best. I was at a friend's house for 4 hours one day, and even though I was at 100% (98% actual via Battery Monitor app), the battery died before I left. This means the battery drain was approximately 25%. Mind you I did not take any phone calls and only received a few emails and text messages. The cellular signal is strong in his house, I had GPS off, I was connected to his Wifi network (also strong signal). What could possibly be draining my battery so fast????

Everywhere I go, no matter what I do, the phone's battery drains very fast. Little, moderate or heavy use, the battery drain is awful (and worse if I even think about using it, as you know, a phone).

It has been the same everywhere I go. I thank my lucky stars that I was smart enough to get a Touchstone for the office, otherwise I would be working for half a day before my phone died on me. This is unacceptable. I could deal with 10% drain per hour (barely), but this is ridiculous.

I have tried everything: pulling the battery, reset after reset, uninstalling patches (all of them!), even doctoring my Pre to factory defaults (twice!).

I am at a loss, I really am. I don't know if I should just turn in my Pre for a replacement or try to continue troubleshooting, or just give up on the Pre. I love the software and webOS, but the hardware has given me so many problems lately.

If anyone has insight as to what may be going on, please let me know. Everything on the phone is up to date. Any troubleshooting tricks would help; I'll try almost anything at this point.

Thanks,
    A friendly webOS fanatic (but quickly becoming a Pre hardware hater)
    That sounds about right.
    It's got to either be a hardware issue or a bad battery. I would take it in and see if they will give you a new battery, or just buy one and try it.
    it has to be the battery..
    Juan

2010-2011 Champions!

5.    #5  
    I forgot to mention that I have the Amzer 1400mAh battery and the stock Palm 1100mAh battery. I have ran with both, and the results are unchanged (though the Palm battery averages slightly higher drains, I believe this was due to the smaller capacity). I am convinced it's something in the software, like a virus or bug. Or possibly the hardware. Nothing else explains this phenomena.
    Only thing I can think of, besides a hardware problem, is your email account settings. If you have multiple email accounts and have them set to get mail "As items arrive" that could drain the battery pretty fast. Or multiple IMAP accounts could do the same thing. I think I would try to get a replacement and hope that it is a hardware problem.

Also, if you have a corrupt backup, that could cause some battery drain. Shut off the Backup and it should delete your backed up data. Then turn it on and let it do it's thing.
    Its either e-mail, sms, or some other program running in the back ground. What apps are you running? Are their any apps running?
    Back to your bridge evil troll you have no powers here.
    Set you email to "check every 30 minutes" and not "as items arrive". I had the same problem (although my battery was lasting for about 8 hrs a day) and I changed it to every 30 minutes and it now last all day.

ET
  9. ay
    Global Posts
    772 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    Only thing I can think of, besides a hardware problem, is your email account settings. If you have multiple email accounts and have them set to get mail "As items arrive" that could drain the battery pretty fast. Or multiple IMAP accounts could do the same thing. I think I would try to get a replacement and hope that it is a hardware problem.

Also, if you have a corrupt backup, that could cause some battery drain. Shut off the Backup and it should delete your backed up data. Then turn it on and let it do it's thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by PIKCACHU20 View Post
    Its either e-mail, sms, or some other program running in the back ground. What apps are you running? Are their any apps running?
    Also check if you're logged into your IM account. That's known to consume battery life as well, and you might not even remember you forgot to log off. I leave it open in a card so I don't forget to log off when I use it.
  10.    #10  
    I used to have Brightness Unlinked and Switcheroo running in the background but have since turned them off. This did not fix the problem.

Aside from one Gmail account set to instant push, my 3 other email accounts (1 Exchange, 2 Hotmail) are set to check every 1-6 hours, depending on the account.

I am signed in to IM, but have since logged off. I even turned off the facebook chat spook patch. Now THAT was rough. :'(

I reset my backup file as gapost mentioned yesterday, as one of the many troubleshooting solutions. Again, still no change.

The extreme drainage, in the past, would only happen once every few days. A reset would usually correct the problem. But for the past month, while using the phone with the same apps and processes, the battery drain has taken a hard right on F*** You Avenue and never looked back.

I have turned many things off, almost to the point of having a stock Pre (I have since re-enabled a choice few patches that I can't live without since my last doctoring a little less than a week ago).

A big thank you to everyone who has tried to help. I appreciate a really responsive community such as this one and is the main reason for sticking with this phone. You folks are awesome.