1.    #1  
    I need help. I go to college near Kansas City, great Sprint service. I just went home for Easter break for the first time since I got my Pre, and this is the problem: The Sprint reception is aweful! There is a tower a ways away, and my phone always tries going to that, and it has 1x data. About every 5 mins, it jumps to roaming on Verizon, I get the EV symbol, this lasts for about a minutes to maybe 5 mins, then it jumps back to Sprint with 1 bar and 1x...I drop calls, texts take forever to send, it is terrible. I tried different force roam patches, it only forces the voice and texts, so the data is stuck on 1x.
    I can't live all 3 months of summer vacation like this!!! Here is the problem: we live so far out in the country, that we don't have dsl or cable internet...I rely on my phone. So the airave won't work, right? Or will the new one work? What can I do?
    And oh yeah...Atchison, KS, where I go to college, is ironically the one place where Verizon doesn't have service. So if I switched to Verizon, at home I'd have great service, then when I come back to college, I wouldn't have service.
    Bad news. You are correct about Airave not being an option. You may want to try a signal booster like this---> Wireless Extenders YX-300 zBoost zPersonal Dual Band Cell Phone Signal Booster for a Single User (Wireless):Amazon:Cell Phones & Service .

Let us know if a signal booster works!

BLiip
    Data is not offered through the current Airave model. It helps to have an Airave so that you get calls and texts though. If you can get the new airave when it comes out you can have data! But I'm not sure how long the wait will be.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by bliip1234 View Post
    Bad news. You are correct about Airave not being an option. You may want to try a signal booster like this---> Wireless Extenders YX-300 zBoost zPersonal Dual Band Cell Phone Signal Booster for a Single User (Wireless):Amazon:Cell Phones & Service .

Let us know if a signal booster works!

BLiip
    Do you think that will work? Will it increase the connection to the Sprint tower, thus giving me more bars, but still the 1x data?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    Data is not offered through the current Airave model. It helps to have an Airave so that you get calls and texts though. If you can get the new airave when it comes out you can have data! But I'm not sure how long the wait will be.
    I don't have internet at my house though...will the new model be able to plug up to a phone line and work?
    Oh crud, I forgot about that. Yea, you have to have DSL to use an Airave. As far as future details, I know as much as you man! I read the home article and have no clue.

But hey at least you don't get crappy coverage in the city! I get crappy signal in my house, while a mile down the street I get 5 bars. *** seriously Sprint? It really sucks when I reset my Pre and I have to go through the activation and sit there while it tries to find a data signal and then proceed to download apps at 1x, if it can find signal. There really should be a WiFi option during activation.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    Oh crud, I forgot about that. Yea, you have to have DSL to use an Airave. As far as future details, I know as much as you man! I read the home article and have no clue.

But hey at least you don't get crappy coverage in the city! I get crappy signal in my house, while a mile down the street I get 5 bars. *** seriously Sprint? It really sucks when I reset my Pre and I have to go through the activation and sit there while it tries to find a data signal and then proceed to download apps at 1x, if it can find signal. There really should be a WiFi option during activation.
    Man, this sucks! Does anyone know if the wireless extender will give me EV?
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    In my experience, unless you get great coverage right around the outside of your home it isn't likely to help much.
    Global Posts
    560 Global Posts
    If you go into Preferences inside of the Dialer app... do you have Data Roaming enabled? I never roam, so I have no idea if 3G roaming ever happens, or if it is still just 1x at that point.