Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    It is so awesome ******* take the time to write about why webOS sucks. Feels good man.

EDIT: LOL! fan_bois is filtered!
    Let's talk about improvements to the AppCatalog first:

1-Allow App gifting - I want to send my brother-in-law an app, since he is a poor college student. Make this a possibility!
    2-Add ratings for content, and allow filters to be placed
    3-Only allow Apps with version additions/improvements to be replaced at the top...not just the metadata
    4-Allow landscape mode

And just a few words about the quality of the apps:

1-There could be some more attention to graphics, which can add overall size to the app. But I am concerned more with the function. DrPodder, Scoop, and Geostrings are great examples of the function of webOS in its current form
    2-With more API's, apps could do more (theoretically).
    3-The size of the AppCatalog does vary by region, and its not fair to non-US regions...but Apple doesnt have all of its apps available in every region either...thats just business.

I agree with the OP....we do need more high-functioning apps. But I dont agree that they need to be prettier (it wont hurt...except for the size of the app which can reduce the number of apps you can download and reduce the performance of the device). Thankfully, we have a GREAT community of developers who have answered the cry of many of us, and still continue to listen to us despite our bratty chatter. Maybe if more of us supported these developers, they would continue to help this platform grow.
    Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    +1 above 3 ideas.
    Palm must acknowledge ramification of 200k apps - Palm has to make an attempt to counter: apps affecting other apps, designers seeing good ideas/bringing them over into their own apps. The hardware becomes a must-have item because niche apps in a profession, an app in military, filmmaking, airline piloting, medicine, gaming, etc. makes the hardware a must-have item among. Oh yes, they all want: largest pocketable screen.
  4.    #44  
    its great to see the thread get such varied feedback, and some great ideas.

a few people mentioned newsroom, which I am considering buying.

Another great shiny app- Digloo. Well worth the money
    I don't think anyone here disputes that the Pre has some good apps - some of them are even great. But none of them are really excellent in the way that the top tier of iPhone apps are. When you mention Wapedia, look at Wikipanion or Articles; for Tweed, look at Tweetie; for Scoop, look at Reeder or Byline. Or even look at apps like Instapaper or Pastebot, which have no analogues here. All of the webOS apps are fine and get the job done, but they really don't compare to those on the iPhone.

None of this is a criticism of these developers, who I think are doing a fine job, considering they're developing apps on a very limited SDK for a platform with as yet little market. But the truth is that the lack of these kinds of apps is detrimental to the platform, because it's very difficult to point to bang-up apps that show the value of the phone. Look at those ads that decorated the back of the main section of the New York Times forever - those ads focused on an individual beautiful app that showed just how the iPhone platform would make your life easier.

Can that sort of thing be done for the Palm Pre? For one or two categories, you might be able to come up with a demonstration that's at least functionally comparable to the experience on the iPhone. But it won't be as pleasant. A few weeks ago I took a flight across the nation, then had to rush across the City to catch a train north. On the iPhone, I'd have a beautiful app for tracking departure times, a beautiful app to grab a taxi or get a subway schedule, and a nice app to buy the Amtrak ticket with. On the Pre I was stuck using, respectively, a piece of paper, a clunky app that is essentially a glorified picture viewer, and a web interface that barely worked. My experience was demonstrably worse than it could have been.

It's one thing to tell me that I should just stop complaining and get an iPhone - and, you know, in some ways that would actually be better for me. But in the long run, if you tell everyone who thinks something about another platform is better, you're going to end up with no users and a Palm in financial ruin. Besides, I don't want to switch - I wrote this whole post using my Pre's keyboard, which I could never do on the iPhone.

People love the iPhone and its apps because they make life easier, so it feels like you're living in the future. I don't get that with the Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by UnExplanatory View Post
    A lot of hype surrounds other phones (like iPhone) and that draws impulse buyers. These impulse buyers will obviously buy many apps making their app stores a whole lot more successful.

The argument that you don't need hundred of thousands of apps is valid. Try listing individual apps that are on other phones that WebOS doesn't have. If there are any, they can and will be made for WebOS unless they are really niche or something.
    Do you have access to iPhone apps? I use both a Pre and an iPhone and, most of the time, it doesn't even come down to finding an equivalent on the WebOS (although in the case of Skype -- hardly a niche app -- it is). iPhone apps, in general, have a level of level of fit and finish worlds beyond what's available for WebOS.
  7.    #47  
    Senori pretty much got it spot on.
    I agree 100% with the OP.

What i find annoying is that everyone tries to defend Palm's app catalogue (2000+ apps) by saying at least we don't have thousands of useless fart apps. Of course there are thousands of useless Iphone apps but if you take a look at their useful ones they are truly outstanding. The only decent (and well polished) WebOS apps i can think of are Engadget and Newsroom. Don't get me wrong i hate the Iphone but their app store is far superior to Palm's. Palm HAS to get the big developers on WebOS and the smaller ones will follow. Without them people won't buy the Pre. If that means more fart apps so be it!! Just give me Skype, Shazam, UK news apps (The Times, Sky News etc), a London tube app etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    I don't see what the problem is here. Get an iPhone, quit your whining, get over it.
    You would see the problem if you were an old time Palm user, and were used to really useful and sophisticated apps that were available for devices like the
    treos.

thank you mytether
    i have friends with iphones with only 1 or 2 pages of apps! Actually, that's the VAST majority of the iphone users i know. I have a friend with an iphone who i had to teach how to download apps... and all she has is facebook and one or two games. Apps are way over hyped. Yes, you do need a decent collection of apps, but you also need to have GOOD apps. Trust me, as someone who's been an iPod Touch user for over 2 years, i can tell you that the an OVERWHELMING majority of iPhone apps are crap. Sexy ladies #256, hot chicks #724, fart-o-matic 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5 (now with high and low pitches!), and 4982 flashlight apps and a million tip calculators. It's the truth. The app catalogue may only have 2,200 apps, and a lot of them are crap, but for most people that's plenty.
    Last edited by Seb_or_Sam; 04/10/2010 at 01:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seb_or_Sam View Post
    i have friends with iphones with only 1 or 2 pages of apps! Actually, that's the VAST majority of the iphone users i know. I have a friend with an iphone who i had to teach how to download apps... and all she has is facebook and one or two games. Apps are way over hyped. Yes, you do need a decent collection of apps, but you also need to have GOOD apps. Trust me, as someone who's been an iPod Touch user for over 2 years, i can tell you that the an OVERWHELMING majority of iPhone apps are crap. Sexy ladies #256, hot chicks #724, fart-o-matic 1, 2, 3, 4, & 5 (now with high and low pitches!), and 4982 flashlight apps and a million tip calculators. It's the truth. The app catalogue may only have 2,200 apps, and a lot of them are crap, but for most people that's plenty.
    While this is true, it seems that the majority of the Palm App Catalog is made of glorified ebooks and sexy lady apps itself. But it doesn't matter if only one in ten of the apps in the store is good, even if the App Catalog here has a 1 in 5 ratio; that still would mean 15000 good apps (many of which are amazing), compared to 400 here.

And that 400 definitely does not cover every use case. Not even by a long shot.
    Quote Originally Posted by relworg View Post
    I'm going to make a different type of comment for the app catalog. I don't care if they let adult stuff into the catalog, but I'd like to be able to filter it out so I don't have to see it. It'd be nice to filter out other crap like the quotes and books too...Better organization on what I want or don't want to see there.
    amen. would love to filter out soundboards, ebooks, sexy girl pics, and other apps which I don't have any care for and which crowd the app catalog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Senori View Post
    I don't think anyone here disputes that the Pre has some good apps - some of them are even great. But none of them are really excellent in the way that the top tier of iPhone apps are. When you mention Wapedia, look at Wikipanion or Articles; for Tweed, look at Tweetie; for Scoop, look at Reeder or Byline. Or even look at apps like Instapaper or Pastebot, which have no analogues here. All of the webOS apps are fine and get the job done, but they really don't compare to those on the iPhone.

None of this is a criticism of these developers, who I think are doing a fine job, considering they're developing apps on a very limited SDK for a platform with as yet little market. But the truth is that the lack of these kinds of apps is detrimental to the platform, because it's very difficult to point to bang-up apps that show the value of the phone. Look at those ads that decorated the back of the main section of the New York Times forever - those ads focused on an individual beautiful app that showed just how the iPhone platform would make your life easier.

Can that sort of thing be done for the Palm Pre? For one or two categories, you might be able to come up with a demonstration that's at least functionally comparable to the experience on the iPhone. But it won't be as pleasant. A few weeks ago I took a flight across the nation, then had to rush across the City to catch a train north. On the iPhone, I'd have a beautiful app for tracking departure times, a beautiful app to grab a taxi or get a subway schedule, and a nice app to buy the Amtrak ticket with. On the Pre I was stuck using, respectively, a piece of paper, a clunky app that is essentially a glorified picture viewer, and a web interface that barely worked. My experience was demonstrably worse than it could have been.

It's one thing to tell me that I should just stop complaining and get an iPhone - and, you know, in some ways that would actually be better for me. But in the long run, if you tell everyone who thinks something about another platform is better, you're going to end up with no users and a Palm in financial ruin. Besides, I don't want to switch - I wrote this whole post using my Pre's keyboard, which I could never do on the iPhone.

People love the iPhone and its apps because they make life easier, so it feels like you're living in the future. I don't get that with the Pre.
    I agree with you on this 100% the point in us pointing out where other platofrms are better, is that we want these features on OUR phone, not on a different one. Iphone does have a far supperior app experience not just in numbers, but quality and experience. While some may argue this, the elegance in which iphone apps are displayed is half of the experience. The functionality is the other. Qnd iphone does both well.

now don't get me wrong I'm rooting for the pre, however real world scenerio, in the car and hear a song I like, can I use shazam? No. Starting my weight watchers diet up again, is there an app to count an manage points that works for me? No. Can I manage all my accounts and finances and budgets through a secure app that pulls the info from the internet? No. There's not even a carrier app which makes it easy to pay bills and add frstures from the carrier. Lately I can't even get google maps to work. In all, there is alot to be desired in the app world of palm and while I am patient, I seem to notice a decline in apps lately not an increase.
    Agree 100% with the OP.

The app store is full of utter rubbish. How many calculator apps do we need and those apps by Go Go Girls are crap and all these quote apps.They are just useless and Palm need to stop filling the app store with them.

One app that Palm advertise on their UK website is the London Tube app but its not in the app store, why?

I would like to see

Ebay
    London Tube app (Line info plus journey planner)
    UK Traffic news app (accident, roadworks)
    Train app (journey planner, timetables and delays etc)
    Bus info apps (Bus routes in your area)
    UK Radio apps
    etc etc etc but i fear we won't yet they are standard on other phones.

I know Pre is newish but Palm knew what they were going to be up against and have not planned very well for it. I know that Apple has thousands of useless apps in its app store but it also has the apps people want to back that up where as Palm have, a very badly built phone, OS that has problems after every update and an app store that is rubbish and it will not survive on the fan base or homebrew apps
    Dear All,

Having been an Iphone users from Day1, (all the models and currently still own & user the 3Gs) I have to admit, using WebOS day in day out is just so much more enjoyable.

While I agree with a lot of you that more quality apps are needed, I do tend to use mainly the built in apps, like to call people, the sms, mms, chat capabilities are INTEGRATED, Mail just works, notifications are beautiful, true multitasking, not to mention the nice built in fonts, that make it smoother to read text on screen etc.

As apps that I enjoy: (German O2 Pre with LUXGSM sim card) so I see only 426 Apps tonight (none of which are paid... snif)

- Engadget
    - Grooveshark
    - Radiotime
    - Facebook
    - Comics
    - Currency Converter
    - Word Clock (useless but what a conversational little app, always amazes people)
    - New York Times
    - AP news
    - The Weather Channel
    - Linked in (needs work, buggy at best)

I also bought 'The missing Sync' keeps the rest of me in sync with my Macbook Air.

What I urgently need:

- Bloomberg
    - Thomson Reuters News
    - EBay
    - Sonos
    - Air sharing (secure document sharing over wifi)

- Mobile hotspot (why I can't get this beats me)

The on the built-in apps, a much better calculator (Please Palm, just how stupid is this app) not even a % capability our square root.... and have it work in landscape, AND do more than 10 digits.

I've downloaded countless free apps on the iphone over the years, most of them ended up being used once or twice and deleted, maybe a dozen or so see regular use.

I bought a Li-Polymer 1700 MAh battery (ebay Germany) and the perfect touchstone charging base. Love the smaller size of the Pre and a real keyboard. The screen has excellent visibility at odd angles, which the Iphone does not have....

Keep at it Palm!
    Quote Originally Posted by nsabournemouth View Post
    Agree 100% with the OP.

The app store is full of utter rubbish. How many calculator apps do we need and those apps by Go Go Girls are crap and all these quote apps.They are just useless and Palm need to stop filling the app store with them.

One app that Palm advertise on their UK website is the London Tube app but its not in the app store, why?

I would like to see

Ebay
    London Tube app (Line info plus journey planner)
    UK Traffic news app (accident, roadworks)
    Train app (journey planner, timetables and delays etc)
    Bus info apps (Bus routes in your area)
    UK Radio apps
    etc etc etc but i fear we won't yet they are standard on other phones.

I know Pre is newish but Palm knew what they were going to be up against and have not planned very well for it. I know that Apple has thousands of useless apps in its app store but it also has the apps people want to back that up where as Palm have, a very badly built phone, OS that has problems after every update and an app store that is rubbish and it will not survive on the fan base or homebrew apps
    I agree with you but with the addition of a turn by turn navigation app (and better google apps).

I feel that us non-US palm users have been very badly marketed to and treated. I bought the pre the first weekend it came out and had to wait 6 months for paid apps. I dont mind the wait but its only because I visit this site etc that I knew they were coming out etc, the majority of people wont know this (like my girlfriend who is a technophobe and will simply go for the iphone because I get shown up every time we go for a trip etc by someone who can whip out an iphone and rapidly get cinema times, train times etc...). to the uninformed public it simply smacks of a company that is doing things half arsed when they buy a phone and have to wait months for paid apps to come along when the US has them now.

I am a doctor and always get annoyed when colleagues can bring out an app on an iphone to calculate things or get drug doses/information whilse I have to lug around textbooks (Oxford handbook of clinical medicine, BNF etc) or pick them up off wards.

The marketing palm employed in the UK is terrible. To sell phones, you need to market its plus points that the average user will use (eg great facebook integration of contacts etc) and explain multitasking and the awesome email to the business crowd. I have lost count of the number of times people have asked me what phone I have when I pull it out - nobody who isnt geeky has a clue what my phone is!!

In summary:

Apps will come if user numbers increase to entice developers with

Need to push WebOS to other devices, no UK developers will bother with UK specific apps whilst palm only has one handset available here...

professional looking apps (engadget and new facebook beta) will make weboS phones much easier to sell in stores and on adverts, the Joe Q public is very fickle and he doesnt always spot how awesome something is under the hood unless hes reeled in by slick, shiny things.

Need to target the business crowd -
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123