Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 57
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by r-nice View Post
    I agree with a lot of what the OP said. A lot of the apps we see just do not have a UI that makes them easy/fun to use.

    Some that do IMO are:

    Engadget
    Newsroom
    Tweed
    MTV News (from what I saw in the screenshots)
    People (again, in the screenshots)
    Pandora
    Fandango
    Flixster
    Slacker
    DatPiff
    AccuRadio
    Yelp
    Where
    The Weather Channel

    We also need more variety; how many Quick Contact/Dial apps do we need?
    I too absolutely agree with the OP. Coming from an iPod touch, the look and feel of the AppCat cannot even compare in terms of slickness and style. I'd plus this list, but drop Tweed because navigation on that is horrible (those arrows suck, sorry), add Twee, Digloo, Skybox, Scoop (which is STILL the most lite, minimalist pleasing, and feature rich reader in the RSS store and I've tried them all), Paratrooper, Wobble Words and Tangram. Grooveshark could get there and is there in value and awesomeness (imo), however, there are some design issues (primarily the text and background, but navigational ones as well) that could be polished. The text on that app especially bothers me for some reason.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaykimdotnet View Post
    for every 1 fart app on the palm app catalog, there are thousands in the apple app store. What you're citing as a fault of the Pre's user experience is actually its strength. When you go into the app catalog you aren't inundated with a over 200,000 apps, you have your pick of a couple thousand. That way you can find what your ideal app while wading through fewer poor knock offs and fart apps. Many developers say they make more money on palm's app catalog due to the fact that people can find it a lot easier than on Android Marketplace and Apple's App Store. If you find Palm's app catalog to be overwhelming I'd suggest using a dumb phone. That way you have your pick from Tetris, or bejeweled. A lot less confusion there.
    The AppCat is really poorly designed. I have no experience with the Android Marketplace, but the App Store on those phones is a much better, professional looking app and infinitely nicer than the barebones, no flash version that the Pre uses and I have no idea why they use the ungodly and atrocious looking BLUE on every damned official app they have, but jesus, it looks TERRIBLE. If Palm could improve the look of the app, their catalogue wouldn't look such a bizarre mix of overwhelming and crappy.

    THIS DOES NOT MEAN I WANT AN IPHONE. I actively decided against the iPhone because as pretty as it is, I do not like how Apple manages its users/devices, how much of a pain it was getting it to look different (and in the end, it still reeks of that Apple 'look') with jailbreaking, and it is just not as exciting and fun platform and phone to use as the Pre, especially since once you jailbreak it and start changing crap, it turns into a sloggish POS on the same level as when the Pre was first introduced. The Pre is beautiful, fun, and great for how I run things, but that's not saying they can't afford to learn a lesson or two from Apple
  3. #23  
    I mostly agree with the OP. The apps I wish would come to WebOS are those special purpose apps that are done by companies I want to work with. For example, I-heart-radio has an app for iPhone, Android, Blackberry. Yes, there are other internet radio apps, but none that let me listen to specific stations I want to here (btw I hope when we get Flash that I will just be able to browse to the station's web site.... but I don't know if that will work - especially if the Flash DRM is used).

    On-Line banking. I have been at the same bank for 12 years. I'd probably switch to the first bank that does a native OLB app for WebOS.

    Etc Etc. It's the apps built by companies I want to work with. Not the general purpose apps I can run on my netbook.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    I agree with the OP, It's pretty bad when Derek Kessler can still list the number of new apps on the front page, I can understand 6months, but almost a year later I didn't expect him to be able to count on one hand the number of new apps every 5 days.

    And yes, the polish of WebOS apps are dreadful..they look homebrew with the exception of a few (Wapedia, Engadget, Radio Time, Datpiff etc..).

    ...sigh..I had such high hopes for this platform..best ui...worst resources/management
    hey what is the dat piff app under I'd be extremely interested in that
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    on this board they censor everything, i think he was trying to write ******? I know that's blocked
    No, I don't think the OP was trying to write ******, I think he was trying to write ******. Or maybe ******. Anyway, I dont' really give a **** what he wrote in his ******* title, you get the ******* idea.
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
  6. #26  
    Everyone has different opinions about apps. a couple of thousand or hundred thousand doesn't make a difference. it is how you use your phone... I buy game apps and play the heck out of them, and use the internet for all my app needs. However I do use a few apps and everyone has their own taste on what a good interface is. In the end you all bought the phone knowing what it was and now have to wait for it to truly become the phone it can be.
    Back to your bridge evil troll you have no powers here.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I mostly agree with the OP. The apps I wish would come to WebOS are those special purpose apps that are done by companies I want to work with. For example, I-heart-radio has an app for iPhone, Android, Blackberry. Yes, there are other internet radio apps, but none that let me listen to specific stations I want to here (btw I hope when we get Flash that I will just be able to browse to the station's web site.... but I don't know if that will work - especially if the Flash DRM is used).

    On-Line banking. I have been at the same bank for 12 years. I'd probably switch to the first bank that does a native OLB app for WebOS.

    Etc Etc. It's the apps built by companies I want to work with. Not the general purpose apps I can run on my netbook.

    Couldn't have said it better myself.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by jaykimdotnet View Post
    What you're citing as a fault of the Pre's user experience is actually its strength. When you go into the app catalog you aren't inundated with a over 200,000 apps, you have your pick of a couple thousand.
    At the same time, when you go into the app catalog you probably won't find anything great either.

    I can't believe the "having a wider breadth and larger selection of apps is actually a bad thing!" argument is still being bandied around.
  9. r-nice's Avatar
    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    #29  
    That's really what I want as well, apps made companies and not third parties. I would also love for my bank to make an app.
  10. Me2
    Me2 is offline
    Me2's Avatar
    Posts
    185 Posts
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    #30  
    Perfect examples:
    1. No turn-by-turn SatNav app outside the US, nor any hint of same from any software house. Hell, even the geek-centric Maemo beat WebOS to that one.

    2. No power user calendar or PIM replacement. Even the developer of DateBk and "guru" of Palm PIMs has openly stated that WebOS isn't worth the effort.

    All we see for the Pre is silly apps and games. Show me any other smartphone platform where that ridiculous situation exists.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by australiafong View Post
    but I think its time everyone admitted that they are second rate apps at BEST.
    No, actually, it's not time that "everyone" admitted this. There are some real clunkers in the App Catalog, and I too was hopeful that we'd have more apps by now. I'm also disappointed that Palm hasn't released the update that will allow wide PDK app distribution--I think that's holding things back.

    However, I also think it's quite insulting to the great developers out there who have made some outstanding apps for webOS. Many apps are both highly useful and look great. Some are quite useful even without the flashiest of UIs.

    For a platform with such a (relatively) small user base, I think it's amazing how many good apps we have. So, please speak for yourself when you make statements like this.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Yes, there are other internet radio apps, but none that let me listen to specific stations I want to here (btw I hope when we get Flash that I will just be able to browse to the station's web site.... but I don't know if that will work - especially if the Flash DRM is used).
    I use Radiotime to listen to local LA stations, simply because reception is so terrible in the valleys. They seem to have all the stations I'm familiar with, so it seems like a great solution.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
  13. #33  
    I disagree with the OP. I don't think the App catalog is as extensive as it could be, but I don't think that all apps are crap. Am I waiting on some better productivity apps, of course, but there are quite a few apps that I use (and love) on a consistent basis. DrPodder is a great app and Radiotime is great for listening to local stations at work (my company blocks most entertainment sites). I've also found Concert Finder to be excellent when I don't have any plans for the evening. That's just my 2 cents.
  14. tedknaz's Avatar
    Posts
    22 Posts
    Global Posts
    23 Global Posts
    #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by zealster View Post
    I don't see what the problem is here. Get an iPhone, quit your whining, get over it.
    The problem is Palm will die a slow death if this isn't dealt with. Doesn't sound like you want that.
  15. #35  
    I'm very content with the apps I use, both in function and aesthetics. I'll give a quick rundown of some of those apps (minus the few already mentioned here and the games), all of which I think are pretty great at what they do, and frankly, I've actually compared them to some android and apple equivalents, and they look significantly better.

    Boxee Remote - better than anything I've seen in the android market, on par with apples app (which is made by Boxee itself, I might add)

    Sabnzbd - Not even available for android, looks nicer than iphone app, IMO

    Digloo (really don't use it though, no longer a digg user) - very slick digg app, better than any Digg app on android

    Preddit - Not the best looking, but on par with the android ones I've used. The iphone version is way better, but it's official

    NewsRoom - Very slick rss reader

    Comics - very good and decent looking comic strip reader

    Weather dashboard - awesome dashboard weather notifier

    Whats' for Dinner? - very slick and useful app if you're into cooking

    Absolute fitness -Very useful and slick app

    JogStats - not the best looking, but functionality is great, especially the graphs

    What I'm really trying to say here is, if you can't find apps that suit your needs, switch to a different platform. You mention aesthetics, which I think is very subjective, as I think iPhone UI elements in apps are quite unpleasant. I much prefer the webos's UI elements. But, YMMV
  16. #36  
    I'm going to make a different type of comment for the app catalog. I don't care if they let adult stuff into the catalog, but I'd like to be able to filter it out so I don't have to see it. It'd be nice to filter out other crap like the quotes and books too...Better organization on what I want or don't want to see there.
  17. #37  
    If it doesn't already exist. I mean completely obscured from sight, not just transparent, via regex.

    I want to filter out Real Estate, soundboards, ebooks, pinups, etc. My opinion only but it's app catalog spam. If you are one of the app developers great, I just don't want to see them. It's not for me.

    Would it impinge on your income? No not really I'm not going to buy apps like those away. People who do enjoy them will filter out utilities, navigation apps or whatever.

    Think about all the crap in the iPhone store and everything people wade through to find a useful application that fits their needs. Fifty thousands apps means nothing to me 10K good ones (That I consider good) do.
  18. #38  
    i agree the OP has a point some of the apps are a bit lackluster however they still look worlds better than android and i am really glad allowed use of the full onboard storage for apps unlike android and blackberries offering only the ROM which up to this point has not been more than 512mb and BB uses the RAM for apps and running the device.

    The iphone and Webos will have the best looking apps because simply size will not matter as much and they can polish them off. Palm only released the pdk a few months ago people need to give it at least a year, plus some of the developers arent so eager to jump on the palm train when it seems as if every other day there is a rumor of palm going under. (i really hope this does not happen i love WebOS!)

    While the apple app store has a lot of really bad apps it has a lot of really good ones as well! and the one advantage to the app store that i wish palm and android would follow is a desktop companion to browse the apps. It is a lot easier to find and sort through apps on a desktop/laptop then your phone. so i really hope this becomes available whether you can download them on the computer and sync to the device or like blackberry just browse the catalog and then send yourself a link to download the app directly.
  19. luigidk's Avatar
    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    #39  
    For the most part I am completely underwhelmed with the number of useful apps available. Do we need a separate app for every sports team? geez.

    So not a big app store fan... However I will admit that I am not a big app user in general... who has time?

    Biggest issue - maybe we can do this - but I hate to have to buy an app and then figure out if I like it? can I get my money back? If I could - I would be much more willing to try more apps
  20. #40  
    A lot of hype surrounds other phones (like iPhone) and that draws impulse buyers. These impulse buyers will obviously buy many apps making their app stores a whole lot more successful.

    The argument that you don't need hundred of thousands of apps is valid. Try listing individual apps that are on other phones that WebOS doesn't have. If there are any, they can and will be made for WebOS unless they are really niche or something.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions