Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Just bought a 2010 Nissan Altima with the Premium sound package (includes Bluetooth and USB/iPod).

My Pre (Sprint) will NOT sync to the to the USB. When I plug it in, the screen in the car only says "Check Device". No other options are available. I upgraded to WebOS 1.4.1.1, but still no luck.

What can I do? This makes the whole system lame.

TIA,
    JimR
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Does Nissan advertise the USB/iPod port as compatible with anything other than an iPod/iPhone? I have a Honda Pilot with a USB port, and it too doesn't work with my Pre. However, Honda markets it as an "iPod" connector (even though it it's physically a USB port) rather than a general-purpose USB mass-storage-compatible port.

Regardless, it's probably a lost cause. I don't think auto manufacturers ever update software for that kind of thing.
    its because you bought the 2.5 j/k
    I have a new 2010 Nissan Altima as well. I have yet to try to plug it into the usb port, just my ipod with works great. I am aware of some bluetooth problems with my Pre.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    >its because you bought the 2.5 j/k

No, 2.5 S. What is a j/k? I can't find any Nissan nor Google reference to that, at least in USA.
    Quote Originally Posted by flaflashr View Post

No, 2.5 S. What is a j/k? I can't find any Nissan nor Google reference to that, at least in USA.
    ...your not serious right? it means JUST KIDDING

... i have an '08 coupe 3.5
    Just bought a 2010 Nissan Altima with the Premium sound package (includes Bluetooth and USB/iPod).

My Pre (Sprint) will NOT sync to the to the USB. When I plug it in, the screen in the car only says "Check Device". No other options are available. I upgraded to WebOS 1.4.1.1, but still no luck.

TIA,
    JimR
    I think that the USB port is for charging the device, not for sync or transmitting music. Bluetooth is how you sync/connect. In the Pre Bluetooth app, use the "add music device" choice.
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Does the Pre go into USB mode and does the Nissan HU scan for music? Not sure this would work on many USB inputs on auto HU's.
    Dan
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Does the Pre go into USB mode and does the Nissan HU scan for music? Not sure this would work on many USB inputs on auto HU's.
    Unless the vehicle specifically states that they support USB mass-storage mode, I don't think it will work with the Pre. Unfortunately, most (all?) car makers have taken the sissy-route and made their sound systems compatible with the iPod/iPhone only.
    You have a stereo AUX port that you can just plug your headphone jack in to so you can play/listen though the sound system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc View Post
    Unless the vehicle specifically states that they support USB mass-storage mode, I don't think it will work with the Pre.
    Even those that do may have trouble supporting the Pre. When you first plug it in it looks like a USB mass storage device with removable media ejected, it's not until you select USB Drive on the touch screen that it shows up as having media installed. By that time the auto scan in most head units has already given up on it...

Of course you can't use your Pre for anything else while it's in USB Drive mode anyway, so I don't see much use for the feature even if it did work.
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer

LOL
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ktessner View Post

Of course you can't use your Pre for anything else while it's in USB Drive mode anyway, so I don't see much use for the feature even if it did work.
    Excellent point. I remember *****ing about that almost exactly year ago when that piece of info was leaked, for this very reason. (usage in a car)
    Why not use the bluetooth sync? Does it allow for an audio connection?

Since I have an old WRX, I play via a cassette adapter with a bluetooth dongle on it. Works great and even allows hands-free phone calls. I gotta say that I love the auto-resume feature where music cuts off on a call and restarts when the call ends.
    Former: Visor, Prism, VisorPhone, Treo 270,Treo 650, Centro Now: Pre
    Global Posts
    200 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    You have a stereo AUX port that you can just plug your headphone jack in to so you can play/listen though the sound system.
    I have a 2009 Altima and the AUX port is what I use.
    I would rather use the Blackberry Bluetooth Gateway (no a2dp on Altimas) that I purchased but cannot because of power limitations.

There are two power outlets, one switched and one that is not (on when car is off). I have a touchstone plugged into the switched outlet all the time. I would like to have the gateway plugged into the other outlet but it would be powered when the car is off and drain my battery. So...I continue to plug in my Pre every single time I get in my car.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Palm Pre (x2 referb)
    Twitter
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I think that the USB port is for charging the device, not for sync or transmitting music. Bluetooth is how you sync/connect. In the Pre Bluetooth app, use the "add music device" choice.
    When I plug it into USB, the Pre screen comes up with the 3 options, and the Altima screen comes up with "Check Device", so they seem to be trying to talk. However, one is speaking Mandarin and the other Cantonese.

My Pre Bluetooth app does not have any such choice as "add music device", and I'm not sure that the Altima would recognize if even if it did.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ktessner View Post
    Ahh, good point. I hadn't thought about that aspect.
    flaflashr:

I have a 2010 Maxima and it connects easily with my pre, so it is possible. All those speculating about it only connecting to an iphone only is just that. It works. The car manual explains it all. Don't connect to the usb port while you're trying to connect via bluetooth.

TIA,
    JimR
    I had the same problem. Solved it by using a Verbatum 3. 0 ,8gig USB stick, it cannot be formatted with NTFS, mine is fat32. I put my mp3 songs into separate folders and it works perfect now. The important parts seem to be, use version 3.0 USB stick formatted with fat32.
    The answer is correct Mr gary gobflinger, if we want to use a USB memory we have to format that usb with fat32