Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Update!

Thanks for all the support, browbeating, and stories of your own dogs. It's been very entertaining!

I called up the local radioshack first, they said go to sprint. I called up sprint, and they said to call asurion. So I called asurion and they said to go to Welcome To Asurion's Online Resource Center for faster "overnight" service. So I did.

I then continued to lock my account because I couldnt recall my pin.

So I called asurion back and then was told the pin was 6 digits (it doesn't say that on the website). So I got right through after recalling it and it was handled super quick. I called at 1pm, and they promised it'll be here tomorrow! I paid the 100/deductible which is fine, totally our fault.

My wife noticed while we were at dinner that she didn't have the phone, and even said herself " i never leave it at home". I followed with "I hope Ichi can't get to it" (our dog's name is Ichiban which mean #1 in japanese)"

I did notice on the email confirmation that the woman spel the street name incorrectly, even after she repeated it back to me. I wonder why customer service agents DO NOT LISTEN to you when you spell things out. I called them back and they said since it had already been approved that it cannot be changed, but since its going to a business, one letter wrong shouldnt matter.........Anyway, i'll let you guys know if it makes it here.
  2.    #42  
    Quote Originally Posted by djmcgee View Post
    She's cute tho - and therein lies the problem

Yeah it's hard to be mad at her because she is so cute. What a jerk! lol
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    What part of Georgia? BTW, you can go to Petsmart and they have a DNA service that will tell you exactly what breeds are in your dog's DNA. They will also sell you a crate that will take a padlock that even your dog can't pick

We plan on doing that. We're up in CT now and there is a petsmart right near us. I'd love to find out. I bet she was a cute puppy with those massive ears!

We have a good crate now which she cannot get out of. We had one of those fold up wire ones, which she figured out how it unfolded. She would wait until we left, pull up one of the sides and sneak out. Then proceed to ransack the house. I fixed the exploit with zip ties, so she found that the grid pattern on the bottom of the crate was bigger than everywhere else. So she then started flipping the crate over like a giant human hamster ball like thing, and escape out the bottom to continue her chaos.

Such a smart devil. lol
    Quote Originally Posted by djmatix View Post
    Update! ...

...I did notice on the email confirmation that the woman spel the street name incorrectly, even after she repeated it back to me. I wonder why customer service agents DO NOT LISTEN to you when you spell things out. I called them back and they said since it had already been approved that it cannot be changed, but since its going to a business, one letter wrong shouldnt matter.........Anyway, i'll let you guys know if it makes it here.
    Next time you talk to Assurion, ask them what happens the next time this happens. I vaguely recall that there is a limit to how often or how many times you can get an insurance replacement from them. You might have to put a muzzle on the puppy for a few months as an extra layer of protection... ANd let us know what they tell you.
    So my wife and I have a 10 month old puppy who we've been trying to leave alone in the house for short trips because we feel bad leaving her in the crate. Shes finally house broken, but tonight we realized that she isn't over chewing things.
    I don't know if anyone else commented on this (long thread, little time), but you should know that keeping a dog in a crate is actually very comforting for it. It's nothing to feel bad about--quite the opposite. It makes them feel secure, and indeed the more you can close it off on the sides the more secure your dog will feel.

Before dogs were domesticated, they lived in dens to keep themselves safe from predators. Think of a crate from that perspective.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    Sell the dog and buy a Palm Pre Plus!
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Next time you talk to Assurion, ask them what happens the next time this happens. I vaguely recall that there is a limit to how often or how many times you can get an insurance replacement from them. You might have to put a muzzle on the puppy for a few months as an extra layer of protection... ANd let us know what they tell you.
    Straight from the website Phone Protection Solutions

"You can have up to three approved claims for loss, theft, physical or liquid damage within any consecutive 12 months with a maximum replacement value of $1000 per claim."
    thanks for lookiing that up!

Quote Originally Posted by cyorke View Post
    Straight from the website [url= Protection Solutions[/url]

"You can have up to three approved claims for loss, theft, physical or liquid damage within any consecutive 12 months with a maximum replacement value of $1000 per claim."
    Update!

I followed with "I hope Ichi can't get to it" (our dog's name is Ichiban which mean #1 in japanese)"

Rent "Ichi the killer", and see if you'll permanently leave off the -bahn.
    When she was a pup our JRT ate our bathroom. We tried leaving her alone in there out of her crate one day and came back to find the holes in the linoleum, teeth marks on the faucet and molding around the doors, and even holes in the walls themselves. Lets just say it was not fun getting the bill for that apartment when we left. JRTs and apartments don't mix.

Bought a house with a nice fenced in yard for her though and she's the happiest dog ever now.
    the easiest way is to go to phoneclaim.com i just had my phone replaced a few days ago, they can bill the deduc. to your account and it will be free overnight to your house.
    i1000+ -> i90 -> i530 -> i730 -> i530 -> i730 -> i560 -> i930 -> i215 -> i860 -> i930 -> i860 -> i870 -> i880 -> i870 -> i850 -> i870 -> i830 -> i9 -> Pre
    We had two Basenjis and I would say that face definitely looks like it has some Basenji in it. You mentioned she was quiet as a mouse which is interesting since Basenjis almost never bark and are known as the "barkless dog". The devilishly clever escape artist is definitely a Basenji trait as well. What does her tail look like? Basenjis have a curled tail. Check out some pix here - Basenji Photos Pictures Basenjis. Good luck with the replacement Pre - and don't turn your back on that dog!

- Chris
  13.    #53  
    Well I just got the phone. I can't say i'm pleased at all, AT ALL. My wife's Pre was one of the newer ones, with the metallic button. It was well put together, tight hinge, plush buttons on the keyboard. This one is loose (effected by the oreo issue), the keyboard is matted down like it had been used by a teenager on a text message binge, and....Well i'm just not sure i'm completely in love with the "insurance plan" costing me 7 dollars a month, and then 100 deductable.

Her phone was less than 6 months old and it got replaced with an old warn out Pre. The damn thing wont even activate as for some reason it cannot find an EVDO signal. My pre sitting directly next to it has signal just fine.

What a load of ****.

My dog on the other hand, her tail is straight with kind of a kink in it, its weird, maybe I can grab a picture of it. Her bark is hilarious. We thought she was mute when we got her because she never barked. When she finally did, she was barking at herself in the mirror and it sounded weird! It's not like an "arf arf" more like a "row row row" strangely deep for a dog her size. She has the growl of a bigger dog, its pretty cool.

14.    #54  
    I also just noticed that the pre is seperating at the top. There is about ~2mm of gap on the top left side of the phone. The phone also closes too much, so it hangs over the bottom slightly like the phone has an overbite.

Word of advice for those thinking their pre needs to be sent in for a warranty claim: You'll be worse off than you already are. My kicked around day 1 pre feels better than this one.
    Well I just got the phone. I can't say i'm pleased at all, AT ALL.
    Sorry I didn't look at this thread sooner, my advice would have been different than what you received, and your experience might have been a bit better.

I've owned (and replaced several times) Palm devices from Sprint for several years. I've always had TEP (by whatever name they've had for it), and have always been happy with the results.

Here's what I would have done, and you may still choose to do so.

Find a repair center. Go there and be friendly to them. Explain the situation they way it happened, and let them know you don't mind paying the deductible, but you want a phone that is in good shape, and this one is not.

I would have gone to a repair center with the first damage. They likely would have still charged the $100, but they probably would have been able to expedite things for you, made sure you were happy with the results, and may have even taken care of the issue without the $100 (I've had the local service center replace two Centros that had broken screens without charging me, and even replaced a Treo 700 that went in my boats bilge). Often, the service center will "go the extra mile", but you have to remember, that's their option, and don't get upset if they don't.

You shouldn't have to settle for a subpar device. Call the service center, explain what's going to them. I suspect they'll help you. However, your mileage may vary.

===

Now I'll tell my destructive pet story. Sorry if it's off-topic some - it doesn't involve a dog or a Pre, but it's still funny. Funnier now than it was at the time, but still funny.

We have a 14 year old Cockatoo (for those of you that don't know, think of Fred on the old Baretta TV series). She's amazingly adept at opening clasps that are meant to contain her. We have a harness we put on her when we take her on our boat that requires three small snap-shackles to take off. She's figured out how to get it off (when she wants) in about 10 seconds. Needless to say, just about every trick we tried on the doors of her cage, she would eventually figure out.

Did I mention she also has a thing for computer keyboards? When she gets out of her cage, one of her first "targets" is a computer keyboard. She's just fascinated with pulling the keys off. When we first got her, and discovered this, we tried various things to keep her in her cage. She'd figure them out, and go destroy the keyboard in the living room. We finally just replaced it with a cheap keyboard. This sufficed, because (at the time), it would take her 5-6 months to figure out how to get out again.

Then one day, my wife and I went to dinner. She was running late, so I was in the living room on my laptop. We got home, and I looked in horror as I saw her on the back of the couch, laughing at me (she doesnt' talk, but she imitates human laughter, and does it at surprisingly appropriate times). I looked down, and about a third of the keys were off my laptop that I had left sitting on the couch.

A replacement keyboard for a laptop cost a bit more than $10 (I believe it was $125). We decided it was time to invest in padlocks for all of the cage doors. She hasn't figured them out yet, but she does keep trying.

Maybe the moral of these stories is that people with destructive pets shouldn't go to dinner...
  16.    #56  
    Not a bad idea contacting the service center. I'm a very patient person and am a good communicator with things like this. Even if we don't get a "better" phone, anything would be better than this. I'm just really unsatisfied with the replacement policy, and I guess I don't understand it. I think the 100 dollar deductible would ward off casual warranty divas. This is a bonafide replacement need of a pretty much BRAND NEW PHONE.

I'm almost finished restoring the phone. I'll let the wife be the final say on if she is happy with her replacement device. She uses her phone for more than just calls, and the situation couldn't have come at a worse time.

So once this thing finishes downloading her profile i'll walk it over to her (we work at the same company, different departments). Wish me luck!

Nice story about the dog. Who says cats are smarter than dogs? Ichi had gotten a hold of my blue-tooth headset before too. I loved that one, all the newer ones suck.

As for the mention of Ichi the killer, i've seen that movie. It is quite disturbing!
    My friend bought his pre through best buy when it came out and he purchased the best buy insurance for your phone. When something went wrong with his pre, the insurance covered having it sent off to be fixed. Granted there was downfall, he had to wait a month to get a new one ... they sent him a brand new one... and he did no pay anything
    Global Posts
    829 Global Posts
    Perhaps your pup-pup is trying to tell you something: The Pre is not all that it's cracked up to be!
    Current Phone(s): HTC Inspire "4G" & Pre 2
  19.    #59  
    UPDATE:

So after a couple of months dealing with a crappy refurbished unit from Asurion, I was fed up. Her speaker was all crackly, the phone rebooted randomly without warning, and the build quality just sucked. So I called up Asurion, and there is an option for "if your replacement phone is not working". So I spoke with the woman there, let her know all the problems. She did a test with me by calling the phone, having me put it on speaker and pressing any 3 random buttons...whatever that did, she agreed that the phone was defective, and that they'd be sending out a brand new Palm Pre. I let her know I didn't want another refurbished unit.

So we received a "fully kitted" (I guess that's code for retail box) Pre. AWESOME! Not only do we get a brand new pre, but also all of the accessories. The woman mentioned that I only have to return the old phone, none of the accessories, or batteries. BONUS spare battery . I'm not sure if they're no longer giving out refurbished Pre's or if after the first failure they resort to that, but i'm happy now. It only took two months of hell with the other one
    What a cute doggie!! I couldn't possibly stay mad at her, no matter what she chewed up.
    My device history:

- Jim J.

(On Sprint for many years)
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast