1.    #1  
    I got my Pre Plus 2 days ago and I absolutely love it minus the damn double type issue. I'm running the 720MHz Kernel right now but even stock with a fresh doctoring the problem won't go away.

Hopefully my next Pre Plus won't have this problem...

Anything else I can try to fix the double type?
    I am on my 4th pre plus. I have returned the last 2 due to the double type/missing letter problem. Even this new one has the problem but much less often than the last. As palm has told me, it is a hardware issue and all I can do is hope the next one is fine. I understand people wanting to abandon the pre plus because of this issue but I will keep exchanging until I find the perfect pre plus.
    Quote Originally Posted by datboi208 View Post
    I am on my 4th pre plus. I have returned the last 2 due to the double type/missing letter problem. Even this new one has the problem but much less often than the last. As palm has told me, it is a hardware issue and all I can do is hope the next one is fine. I understand people wanting to abandon the pre plus because of this issue but I will keep exchanging until I find the perfect pre plus.
    Not me. I've had 3, all with the double typing and oreo effect (the first 2 powered off when I closed the slider). As soon as the Nexus or Incredible show up on Verizon, I'm outta here.
  4. vrs
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    A possible solution for the double letter typing: I have found that if I type by pressing on the individual keys hard with my thumbnails, that the double letter business is a thing of the past. You can experiment and press your finger lightly on a key -- it will cause multiple letters until you lift it. Striking hard and releasing it results in a single letter. It does the trick for me -- hopefully it will for some others.
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywood1962 View Post
    Not me. I've had 3, all with the double typing and oreo effect (the first 2 powered off when I closed the slider). As soon as the Nexus or Incredible show up on Verizon, I'm outta here.
    I never really reply to these posts as I'm not a ****** of palm just someone who likes webos over the competition and is open to other os's (dont get me wrong love webos and think it's the best out) anyway point being I can understand the fustration as I've been getting so many too many cards warnings when I just want to check a text that I wanna throw the phone out of the window! installed 720 patch and hope that helps.

problem is that honestly, no OS really matches. hardware wise, oh ya, pre is no competitor other then form factor actually feeling good in your hand but software wise eh. sure it's got it's bugs, but every os does. moms android has some, ipod touch has some. Personally I get annoyed with android because it's a nit more all over the place then it should be and not intuitive at all. it has no gesture area, no simple multitasking, most models don't have games, and it's updated slowly and not to everyphone either. and notifications are not so great either. If it wasn't for hardware, I don't think android would really be as popular, don't get me wrong, it's got some good features too, but it's not very intuitive and if it wasn't for sense ui, wouldn't be very atractive either. If I was you, I'd wait to see if palm makes a new device if you like the os, unless uve used android and are ok with it.
    On my 4th pre plus and its refurbished, but it's perfect no issues.
    Global Posts
    483 Global Posts
    I find it kind of sad how Palm tried to change up (improve) the keyboard for the Pre Plus and it has become the #1 problem with Plus' it seems.
    I have read a lot of posts where people have had several different Pre Plus's with the same problem. I know a number of people with Pre Plus's that don't have this problem. Personally, I'm so tired of having to watch my screen as I type because of this issue.

It's really hard to say if it's hardware or software, because of the conflicting data. Either it's software, or there are a large number of Verizon Pre's that have a hardware problem. I'm trying to wait until 1.4.1.1 shows up on Verizon and see if that fixes it. If not, I'm getting a replacement.
    I am being told by Verizon that it's a software issue and that they will not replace it until after 1.4.1.1 comes out.. trust me I tried
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    I am being told by Verizon that it's a software issue and that they will not replace it until after 1.4.1.1 comes out.. trust me I tried
    personal experience suggests to me that it is a hardware issue - i had to get a replacement for my pre plus as i tried to use a solar charger on the phone a fried it- i went back to my 755p and realized how much i disliked the pre keyboard -- when i recieved my replacement phone the keyboard works every bit as good as the old 755p one did- it works flawlessly now -- i would recomend that you take yours back today -- and make them replace it

rob
    Well if they are saying that (they told me that too), then there is hope that the update will fix the problem. I hate to give up my Pre as other than the keyboard issue, it is great and I just put a Skinomi protector on it.

I really think it's a software problem because it seems to be worst in SMS, and not so bad in other things like memos. Also, sometimes you can press a key and there will be a second or two delay before the character appears on the screen. And also, sometimes it seems to be worse than other times, maybe depending on the background activity/programs. Plus, others have had the same problem with multiple Pre's. The only thing that doesn't make sense is that some people don't have the problem at all.!!????
  12.    #12  
    Part of the problem may be the fact it's the first time I have ever typed on a smartphone keyboard. It happens to me in all apps about the same amount.

Hopefully Verizon will be able to get the new update out so I ccan see if it will help.

if not I'm going to have to replace my pre...
    will 1.4.1 fix this? Don't really want to spend days tweeking anoter pphone f I can avoiddddd it...
    It is apparently YMMV. I took my pre in today and was offered a replacement with no questions. New one arrives Friday.
    Verizon says keyboard is a software issue, Palm says it's a hardware issue (and even on their forums they replaced one person's phone as a courtesy) and I say it's a hardware issue after receiving my first replacement from Verizon... There is a very noticeable difference between my previous keyboard and this. This is softer not as clicky and so far problem free. Clicky one was spitting doubles and missing letters quite often.

Edit: Ok keyboard may indeed be a software issue after all... I was just texting a friend a short while ago after upgrading to 1.4 and double keys came back. I texted for 20 minutes today on 1.3.5.1 without a single double key
    Last edited by cgokcea; 04/07/2010 at 11:17 PM.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Can't they just put a data entry delay where when you enter the letter A it won't allow AA within a 1/3 of a second? That would stop any double typing via software.