Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Saw this on Yahoo front page. I am hoping for Palm to pull through, but looks like other people are not seeing it that way.

h t t p : / / finance.yahoo. com/career-work/article/109251/businesses-on-the-brink-change-or-fail??mod=career-leadership

Sorry for the link, I cannot post any yet

-Zumstin

(Here is the relevant piece from the article)

Palm

Associated Press
    Palm (Nasdaq: PALM) was counting on the Pre and Pixi Plus to lead its resurgence back to the top of the smartphone market. Unfortunately for Palm, these two smartphones have failed to deliver. Although the initial response was good, Palm has been unable to sustain its momentum. Palm reported a non-GAAP net loss of $102 million last quarter.

Palm has found it increasingly difficult to compete in the crowded smartphone market with Apple, Research in Motion (Nasdaq: RIMM and Google (Nasdaq: GOOG. Shares have been slaughtered, dropping 77% over the past six months to $3.75 – and this valuation may be overly generous. Some Wall Street analysts have valued the smartphone marker's shares as worthless and are speculating on a Palm bankruptcy.

So, what can Palm do to survive? Palm's best chances at a turnaround may be for a larger industry player like Nokia or Motorola to buy Palm out. Palm is burning through cash at an alarming rate and would need a technology company with deep pockets to keep them afloat.
    Nothing new here.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    If Palm does fail, some company will buy the patents. So there will be a piece of Palm out there even if they do fold.
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    I don't want Palm to fail, but I also do not want to be stuck with a phone that has no support or continued improvement to the OS. So I am weary of getting a new Palm WebOs phone if they reveal one. I love WebOs, but I think we all agree that it still needs fine tuning. Thoughts?
    This is old news from when Palm released it's lower than expected projected quarterly numbers. Yeah, Yahoo saying Palm has problems is like the pot calling the kettle black, lol.
    that's old buddy
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
    Ok yeah I get it, this is old. It was on Yahoo today though. Still doesn't answer my concern... If Palm comes out with a new phone (Pre 2, or whatever) then what are the chances of Palm going under and being stuck with a phone that has no support? Would there be continued support from somebody? I don't mind sticking with Palm, especially if they reveal a sweet phone to compete with the EVO or next gen. iPhone, but that would suck having a phone with no future updates planned especially when it's needed.
    i think palm will announce something big on the developer day lol
    They'll announce the palm pre extra for att with 1 more megabyte than the pre plus....

should bring all the iphone users runnin...

lol
    I couldn't figure out why they were rehashing an old story today.. maybe they were feeling down and wanted to kick somebody else to feel better about themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214 View Post
    They'll announce the palm pre extra for att with 1 more megabyte than the pre plus....

should bring all the iphone users runnin...

lol
    and an extra row of pixels on the "super shiny" touch screen.