Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    My power button was fixed, but I was at a full Sprint store with a repair center in it. No issues, no charge.
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    I feel like I should clarify something here. Sprint techs are NOT allowed to open up the Pre under any condition. The reason as I've said many times on this forum is that the Pre is extremely fragile when taken apart and is easily and irreparably damaged once taken apart without the tools Palm uses. We have this same rule on the Blackberry Tour, Curve 8530, HTC Hero and Samsung Moment. They just don't want them to be taken apart. Period. A few of the techs at my store will do things like repair power buttons after a drop but it's an under the table sort of thing.

I'm sorry that you're having trouble with your Pre, but don't blame Sprint. They did not build the Pre. Palm did. They designed it in such a way that it's not easy for the average Sprint tech to take apart without breaking. That's just the way it is and fussing and fuming about it isn't going to fix anything. Hopefully that restore point program they've been trying to get together comes out soon and it won't be a problem to switch devices again.
    Sprint Technical Consultant
    BSE Electrical Engineering
    --
    Palm Pre - WebOS 1.4.5 - UberKernal 500/1000 Screenstate
    RIM Blackberry Bold 9650 - OS 5.0.0.975/6.0.0.280
    Quote Originally Posted by postalUT View Post
    I feel like I should clarify something here. Sprint techs are NOT allowed to open up the Pre under any condition. The reason as I've said many times on this forum is that the Pre is extremely fragile when taken apart and is easily and irreparably damaged once taken apart without the tools Palm uses. We have this same rule on the Blackberry Tour, Curve 8530, HTC Hero and Samsung Moment. They just don't want them to be taken apart. Period. A few of the techs at my store will do things like repair power buttons after a drop but it's an under the table sort of thing.

I'm sorry that you're having trouble with your Pre, but don't blame Sprint. They did not build the Pre. Palm did. They designed it in such a way that it's not easy for the average Sprint tech to take apart without breaking. That's just the way it is and fussing and fuming about it isn't going to fix anything. Hopefully that restore point program they've been trying to get together comes out soon and it won't be a problem to switch devices again.
    well i called sprint and talked to a higher up and he told me different . so be careful if someone says something to a sprint rep on the phone they want to know what stores are telling customers this !
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
  4.    #24  
    I wouldn't care if my text messages were backed up. I'll switch phones every minute if Sprint wanted me to. But how can you tell me you can't fix the power button? You don't have to open the Pre up.
    The power button is such an easy fix. In less then 5 minutes, you can fix it yourself with some small pieces of a rubber band as stated earlier in this thread.

Just take off the back of the phone.

Use a push pin or paper clip to pop off the power button.

Place the small piece or pieces of rubber band into the slot.

Reattach the power button and presto it will work fine again.

I had the same issue and followed these directions from another thread. My button now seems better than ever. It actually has a click feel and it is raised a little more so it's easier to access. It's not hard at all to do so you can keep adjusting it till you get it at a place you feel comfortable with.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    The power button is such an easy fix. In less then 5 minutes, you can fix it yourself with some small pieces of a rubber band as stated earlier in this thread.

Just take off the back of the phone.

Use a push pin or paper clip to pop off the power button.

Place the small piece or pieces of rubber band into the slot.

Reattach the power button and presto it will work fine again.

I had the same issue and followed these directions from another thread. My button now seems better than ever. It actually has a click feel and it is raised a little more so it's easier to access. It's not hard at all to do so you can keep adjusting it till you get it at a place you feel comfortable with.
    I'll be trying this in the morning! THANKS!
    I had this happen and dropped it off at a columbus ohio sprint store and they worked on it for a hour or 2 and said it was fixed. I got it back and it still didn't work right so they sent me a refurb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Black View Post
    I'll be trying this in the morning! THANKS!
    cool. PM me if you have any questions. I personally used two pieces of a rubber band. They were cut very small but you can use one. Try it both ways to see what works for you. You'll get an idea of how small you need to make them once you pop off the power button. I was just glad I didn't have to waste any of mt day dealing with the Sprint store. If you ever decide to take it in, it's easy to remove before going in. Good luck and be sure to tell us how it went.
    Global Posts
    2,071 Global Posts
    lol I guess get used to sliding up the phone instead of pressing the power button. ;/
  10.    #30  
    I'm looking for new ways to help me not open my phone at all because the Pre slid up with the keyboard is very ugly. If only Palm released a native keyboard!
  11.    #31  
    This has to be the easiest fix ever!...So i popped off the power button. First i tried the rubber band method, but the power key just got stuck more and kept trying to turn off the phone instead of the screen. So basically, i saw that little metal piece instead, so i used the paper clip to left it up slowly with as little force as i can muster in my manly ripped arm and biceps. The result is a perfectly functioning power button! Thanks to Superjudge and BjShedwick for the ideas!!!...People its very easy to fix it, so before you take it to the store, attempt to fix it yourself instead of getting that replacement that you'll have to patch again.
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    well i called sprint and talked to a higher up and he told me different . so be careful if someone says something to a sprint rep on the phone they want to know what stores are telling customers this !
    No offense to the customer care rep, but he/she does not work in a retail store and therefore is unqualified to comment on what a Sprint Store can or can't do. I get this issue daily. Customer care will promise that we can do something in the store that we just don't have the ability to do. Most of the time this happens when they want us to do something they know is outside Sprint policy but the customer care rep does not want to be flagged for it, so they'll note the account and is under the assumption we have to abide by it. Customer care is not my boss, there's an entire chain of command above me that makes these decision.

Sorry for the rant, but the moral of the story is always be wary of what Customer Care tells you relating to Sprint retail stores. Also, you should be very wary about what a Sprint retail store tells you that customer care can do.
    Sprint Technical Consultant
    BSE Electrical Engineering
    --
    Palm Pre - WebOS 1.4.5 - UberKernal 500/1000 Screenstate
    RIM Blackberry Bold 9650 - OS 5.0.0.975/6.0.0.280
    Quote Originally Posted by postalUT View Post

Also keep in mind that the Pre (and most smartphones) are designed to NOT take apart. They generally aren't reparable. Refurbs are often never used, returned with no problems, etc. There really aren't many parts on a Pre that are accessible or replaceable. That's how they get it to be so sleek and thin, Same with most phones.

Most "phone repair" is resetting, re-installing, and troubleshooting before handing you a replacement.
    these phones should be fixed at stores but I don't think sprint feels confident that they will be repaired correctly by their reps. I have a pre and hero and I noticed someone mentioned about how complex these phone are to take apart. I took my hero completely apart last night to fix a dust issue. Very simple and very easy with the right tools.

The real reason they don't want reps to open them is they don't want the warranty to be voided by the manufacturer. This will leave sprint wide open for further repair once they open your phone. The back of the pre has 6 screws and the two screws at the top, one has a palm sticker. If removed the warranty is void.
    Quote Originally Posted by THETRUTH View Post
    these phones should be fixed at stores but I don't think sprint feels confident that they will be repaired correctly by their reps. I have a pre and hero and I noticed someone mentioned about how complex these phone are to take apart. I took my hero completely apart last night to fix a dust issue. Very simple and very easy with the right tools.

The real reason they don't want reps to open them is they don't want the warranty to be voided by the manufacturer. This will leave sprint wide open for further repair once they open your phone. The back of the pre has 6 screws and the two screws at the top, one has a palm sticker. If removed the warranty is void.
    Don't confuse "taking apart" with fixing. How many integrated circuits did you see that could be popped out and replaced?

These things are designed to be put together by a machine, and not to be taken apart.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Don't confuse "taking apart" with fixing. How many integrated circuits did you see that could be popped out and replaced?

These things are designed to be put together by a machine, and not to be taken apart.
    I totally understand that the actual board would be a problem for myself. I am talking about moving parts. The hero only has one circuit board and was real easy to work on. I have seen pics of the pre apart and have to say that it looks a lot more complicated but I would assume with the right parts and tools, sprint could work on them. I really think it's an issue with sprint wanting the actual palm warranty to be intact. I know sprint gives a 12 month also but there are a lot of restrictions especially with known issues like screens cracking, power button issue, loose sliders and usb cracks. They are always quick to say, do you have insurance and call assurion. That shows you that they are trying to avoid fixing these things.

here is the pre taken apart. I have to admit that it does look intimidating.

Rapid Repair - Palm Pre Repair Guide by RapidRepair
    Last edited by THETRUTH; 04/07/2010 at 04:26 PM.
    i have the edxact same problem i cracked my screen with my first palm which was fine but with my replacement i immediatly noticed that the power button doesnt make that click noise that it did with my first one did! still not enough for me to get a new one over!
    UK PRE USER
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12