Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Day 18 without my palmpre and I am itching like crazy to get it back (power button stopped working). Got interesting news about Best Buy repairs though (as I decided to get the Black Tie Protection with my Pre).

Apparently, the repair facility that Best Buy now uses will no longer respond to escalations unless a phone has been w/ them for longer than 30 days. Doesn't seem like they are required to update the phone repair status any more often than that. Any escalation requests before that 30 days will not be handled. From what it seemed like, it took 11 days from the time i dropped off my phone until it was supposedly received in the repair company's system. Didn't Best Buy dump their old repair facility because of similar issues??

The tech at my local bestbuy agreed w/ me that the new policy of not updating the system and responding to escalations seems crazy, so he's going to be forwarding up the chain of command.

And yet, i still wait for my palmpre. This is the second time since August that I've had to put up with this crap, and leads me to this:

Unless Best Buy significantly changes its cell phone repair practices, i will not buy another phone at Best Buy...... And will definetly not be purchasing the Black Tie Protection for my phone.

I guess now I will have to wait for at least another 14 days to find our whether my #palmpre was fixed, or if I'll be getting a replacement ><

Anyone else have similar experiences?
    Qualcomm QCP 2700 -> ... Palm m125 ... -> Instinct -> Palm Pre

I tweet a lot about the Pre! @bshedwick
  2.    #2  
    Sorry for the negativity, just rather annoyed that I am working on my 2nd month since launch of not having a Pre due to what seems to be issues with Best Buy repairs.....

Understood, that's ridiculous. I stopped buying from Best Buy after some issues getting notebooks repaired.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I thought Best Buy Black Tie was replace not repair for the Pre.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by noco37 View Post
    I thought Best Buy Black Tie was replace not repair for the Pre.
    Yeah. It used to be. I asked multiple times about that, but apparently now that the Palm Pre Plus is being sold at Best Buy, the Sprint Pre no longer is a rapid replace.

--BTW, I love your avatar! The Stig and Top Gear rule!

Quote Originally Posted by bjshedwick View Post
    Yeah. It used to be. I asked multiple times about that, but apparently now that the Palm Pre Plus is being sold at Best Buy, the Sprint Pre no longer is a rapid replace.

I wonder if that is a national or state by state policy. Time to log into my BBRZ account and have a look. If it is no longer rapid replace for me, I need to see if it is still worth giving them my money.

--BTW, I love your avatar! The Stig and Top Gear rule!
    Some say that he lives in a tree, and that his sweat can be used to clean precious metals...
  7.    #7  
    [QUOTE=noco37;2364034]I wonder if that is a national or state by state policy. Time to log into my BBRZ account and have a look. If it is no longer rapid replace for me, I need to see if it is still worth giving them my money.

BBRZ?

BBRZ?
    Best Buy Rewards Zone. I thought that i could get to my Black Tie details thru there. I was wrong, so I just called Best Buy to get my Black Tie policy number so I could check my current plan details.

I figured I'd ask the agent about the rapid replace on the pre...... He said "I am not aware that the Pre was ever covered under Rapid Replace. That is for things like the iPhone."

9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by noco37 View Post
    Best Buy Rewards Zone. I thought that i could get to my Black Tie details thru there. I was wrong, so I just called Best Buy to get my Black Tie policy number so I could check my current plan details.

I figured I'd ask the agent about the rapid replace on the pre...... He said "I am not aware that the Pre was ever covered under Rapid Replace. That is for things like the iPhone."

Yeah, that has #fail written all over it. Back in September, when I got my second pre (after waiting a month for it to be repaired, only to find out that it needed to be replaces), the Best Buy Mobile team at my local store did say that they were moving to a Rapid Replace policy for the Sprint Pre.

That appears not to be the case after the Verizon Pre Plus came out.

I wonder if any Verizon Pre owners have been able to get a rapidly replaced pre through Best Buy.

I'm still reading over the complete ToS (great reading...) but so far it look like I would want to make sure my phone was beyond reparable before I take it in.
    im so glad i didnt opt in for that protection. Sprint TEC sounds like a dream compared to that. Good luck bro
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jgonzalez2066 View Post
    im so glad i didnt opt in for that protection. Sprint TEC sounds like a dream compared to that. Good luck bro
    Thanks for the good word. It hurts bad not to have my pre.

The crazy thing is that my wife has a Pre as well. I play with it from time to time, and even have tweed configured w/ my twitter acct (wife doesnt use twitter), but it just is not the same...

I miss DrPodder so much. I haven't listened to any of my regular podcasts since i dropped my phone off to be fixed.

I had my Pre replaced at Best Buy last week after getting close to a postal breakdown and this is what I was told:

When Best Buy first started training their managers, they were telling them that Pre's were eligible to be replaced in-store if they ever broke. So, they passed this information on to their customers...like me. However, now they're being required to be sent in for repair (even if they obviously cannot be repaired), at which point they'll say it can't be repaired and will give the sending store the all-clear to grant a new phone (which you'll have to come back down to get - not so fun for my hour drive there) OR they'll repair and send it back to the store (again, you have to drive back down there and get it). Typical time for this is from two weeks to a month.

Needless to say, I was not happy and the manager made an exception for me since it was a known issue that different stores were not operating under current procedure (I bought the Pre at a store 8 states away).

Personally, the insurance is a total waste if you have to be without your phone for a month and I'd much rather pay the $100 and get my phone the next day.

That said, Best Buy is piloting a new insurance program. There will be three levels of protection now.

1. Cheapest - $7 : Loss, theft, water protection
    2. Middle - $10: Accident repair (BUT NOT ANY OF THE ABOVE)
    3. Highest - $15: Everything. Accident, mechanical, loss, theft and water.

Plans 1 and 2 will get you a refurb. Plan 3 will get you a new phone BUT you must pay a deductible (varies depending on device from $25/50 - 100, there are three tiers of devices, Palm Pre is in the highest, $100 tier).

Plan 3 will also let you file a claim from the phone or website and once you do, you may go to a BB store and pick up your replacement.

So, thems the breaks.
    Last edited by malpha; 04/06/2010 at 05:01 PM.
  14.    #14  
    Malpha,

Thanks for the info.

15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by malpha View Post

1. Cheapest - $7 : Loss, theft, water protection
    2. Middle - $10: Accident repair (BUT NOT ANY OF THE ABOVE)
    3. Highest - $15: Everything. Accident, mechanical, loss, theft and water.

Plans 1 and 2 will get you a refurb. Plan 3 will get you a new phone BUT you must pay a deductible (varies depending on device from $25/50 - 100, there are three tiers of devices, Palm Pre is in the highest, $100 tier).

Plan 3 will also let you file a claim from the phone or website and once you do, you may go to a BB store and pick up your replacement.

So, thems the breaks.
    From @Coral_BestBuy on Twitter:

@bshedwick nothing that I can confirm to be valid unfortunately...

Not sure if that means that its coming and she cant talk about it, or if it just doesnt exist.

Hmmm... we'll see how it goes for me. Droped mine off on Monday at BB. They said 7 days.
    Day 18 without my palmpre and I am itching like crazy to get it back (power button stopped working). Got interesting news about Best Buy repairs though (as I decided to get the Black Tie Protection with my Pre).

Apparently, the repair facility that Best Buy now uses will no longer respond to escalations unless a phone has been w/ them for longer than 30 days. Doesn't seem like they are required to update the phone repair status any more often than that. Any escalation requests before that 30 days will not be handled. From what it seemed like, it took 11 days from the time i dropped off my phone until it was supposedly received in the repair company's system. Didn't Best Buy dump their old repair facility because of similar issues??

The tech at my local bestbuy agreed w/ me that the new policy of not updating the system and responding to escalations seems crazy, so he's going to be forwarding up the chain of command.

And yet, i still wait for my palmpre. This is the second time since August that I've had to put up with this crap, and leads me to this:

Unless Best Buy significantly changes its cell phone repair practices, i will not buy another phone at Best Buy...... And will definetly not be purchasing the Black Tie Protection for my phone.

I guess now I will have to wait for at least another 14 days to find our whether my #palmpre was fixed, or if I'll be getting a replacement ><

Anyone else have similar experiences?
    Honestly, I've never understood why anyone buys phones from retailers, and not directly from the carrier. I can't speak for Sprint, but Verizon limits what resellers can do (like the new-every-two program is only available from Verizon). The resellers can't help with problems or repairs, and Verizon company stores are restricted in what they can do for customers that buy from non-verizon stores. Even the company stores are only helpful some times.

I buy everything from their website, and I call support when I know a replacement phone is likely. As long as you are nice to the person on the phone, they provide great service and even break rules if it makes sense.

I would never buy from BestBuy/RadioShack/Paperboys/Chick-Fil-A. It may be different for Sprint, but the comments on this forum seem to always to point to problems with phones purchased from retailers.

Oh, and they are generally cheaper from the Verizon website, too.

Please chime in and tell me why people buy cellphones from mall kiosks, retailers, and cell phone stores that represent multiple carriers. I'm curious.
  18.    #18  
    Sinime, you may be looking at more like 4 weeks or so..... Do like I did and hound them. Stay on their case so they now who you are. If you get the run-around, send a message to @twelpforce of Twitter.

Good luck

It exists - in North Carolina. It's a pilot program that they are only doing in that state. You have to be a resident of NC to be a part of it - they told me this because I live in VA, five minutes from the NC border, and the closest Best Buy is in NC.

They gave me a pamphlet and I think it's unfortunately in the carried out garbage, but I'll keep looking for it. But they have this brochure telling you all about the three levels of service and on the back, they have the three tiers of phones. Inside gives you the details I posted. The have really misleading and unhelpful names from what I can remember. Like, the uber one is Best Buy Total Insurance or some such, but I felt the other two were hard to distinguish between and didn't really reveal what they covered. And it goes $14.99, $10.99, and $7.99. These prices differ for different tiers, so the $14.99 plan would not be that much for a Tier 1 or 2 phone (ie, not a smartphone tiers).

Please chime in and tell me why people buy cellphones from mall kiosks, retailers, and cell phone stores that represent multiple carriers. I'm curious.
    I bought mine from Best Buy because it was $149 and not $249 minus a rebate it will take you two months and several demanding phone calls to get. Also, because I didn't want to be given a bunch of annoying service by the direct dealers who want you to get everything under the sun for the phone that they want you to get for the service they want you to get with it. Plus, you can still get Sprint insurance once you buy it at Best Buy - you have 30 days to put it on your phone.
    Last edited by malpha; 04/06/2010 at 06:25 PM.
  20.    #20  
    Cantaffordit,

The only reason that I bought my Pre at Best Buy (on launch day) was that they were offering the $100 instant rebate, instead of the mail-in rebate that Sprint stores made you go through. Now, I do not think that it was worth all of the hassle that I have been through. I'm going to just save up the extra money next time, and buy my next Palm device at a Sprint Store. (Hopefully Sprint will do away with the mail-in-rebate sooner or later)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast