1.    #1  
    Does the Sprint version of the Palm Pre have an app that permits the Pre to be a HotSpot?
    at the moment it's against sprint contract, there are other routes but that's at your own risk, i think mythether or something.

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    Agreed, Sprint's contract does not allow hot-spot access. But here is a thread on the board so that you can do more reading.

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...print-pre.html
    Dan
    Global Posts
    348 Global Posts
    For now no... But I'm to assume once other phones like the HTC EVO come out this summer, (which are advertised for tethering) they may allow it for the Pre...

I assume this because not every place will have 4G coverage when the HTC EVO comes out. And because of this, the HTC EVO will tether using 3G. Since that phone will support tethering, it wouldn't make sense for Sprint disallow the Palm Pre to tether when the HTC EVO will.
    the device is more than capable of hotspot. It's not difficult to get it working. I have it now, I just rarely need to use it.
    Thread will be deleted shortly. The use of the Mobile Hotspot app is illegal on a Sprint branded Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by powrman811 View Post
    Thread will be deleted shortly. The use of the Mobile Hotspot app is illegal on a Sprint branded Pre.
    LOL
  8.    #8  
    Everyone, thanks for your input. Hoepfully Sprint will recognize that they have to permit the hotspot if they wish to compete. I wonder when and if they will get the iPhone?
    Quote Originally Posted by makitaki View Post
    LOL

Obviously you haven't seen all the other threads regarding the use of the the app on Sprint vanish
    Yes hotspot works fine on sprint pre - two easy steps, and your up and running. steps can be found by search. it works great.
    People forget that the original Pre specs had mentioned it was going to have it, then Sprint axed it. Hindsight's always 20/20, imagine how many more units they would've sold if it were?
    Ditto on the against Sprint contract thing, but that info about the Evo is interesting. I can't wait to see what happens. I have stayed away from MyTether, because I didn't want to "Donate" and then Sprint makes Palm knock it out with an update.
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitalis View Post
    For now no... But I'm to assume once other phones like the HTC EVO come out this summer, (which are advertised for tethering) they may allow it for the Pre...

I assume this because not every place will have 4G coverage when the HTC EVO comes out. And because of this, the HTC EVO will tether using 3G. Since that phone will support tethering, it wouldn't make sense for Sprint disallow the Palm Pre to tether when the HTC EVO will.
    I doubt they will allow it on the Pre. If you think about it, allowing tethering with the Evo or a new Palm (or any other brand) device would be a selling point. It wouldn't make much sense to start allowing tethering on an old phone when they can promote it as a feature to sell new phones.

Also, with Sprint starting to push 4G, it wouldn't surprise me if they start allowing tethering but only on 4G capable phones.
    Last edited by kd0axs; 04/06/2010 at 12:52 PM.
    Don't install MyTether. I'm a "paid" member or whatever you call it and got the app. Several functions on my Palm Pre broke - like it's ability to backup my data (cloud) once a day and the contacts only partially syncing. I'm not saying this problem is going to happen to you but the MyTether site has warnings for a reason.
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I had two different online "chats" with Sprint. I was trying to do things "legally". When I asked the price to add the ability to use my pre as a modem for my laptop, they replied that the option to do that is no longer offered as of 2/14/10.

When I asked "why", they said they had gotten "feedback" from their customers...

?
    Global Posts
    751 Global Posts
    "No longer offered"???

It was never offered on the Pre.

Unless they are talking about phone as modem plans in general?
    Quote Originally Posted by makitaki View Post
    LOL
    The Man is trying to shut us down. Search for MyTether before it's too late!
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    If someone were to want to tether a Palm phone on sprint, I would recommend the MHS application versus the MyTether. MHS was intended to be on the phone but is not allowed on the Sprint contract. MHS is what runs on VZW phones.
    Dan
    It's kind of ridiculous, that such an old technology is being kept from us (legally). When are these morons going to learn?
    Quote Originally Posted by powrman811 View Post
    Obviously you haven't seen all the other threads regarding the use of the the app on Sprint vanish
    What's illegal is distributing the source code for the MHS application.

Talking about violating Sprint's TOS won't get a thread deleted, but illegally distributing software will.