View Poll Results: I am THIS mad about the 1.4.x Random Restarts?

Voters
338. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have no reboot issues sucka!

    116 34.32%
  • 1.4 was a big update, I am remaining patient

    48 14.20%
  • I am annoyed

    137 40.53%
  • If I saw Rubinstein on the street I'd throw my Pre at his head

    37 10.95%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 73
  1.    #1  
    I am absolutely beside myself that such a horrendous bug was not fixed by the latest update. My phone has crashed 3 times in the last 2 days. I thought it had to be my phone needing the good doctor, but I saw here I am far from alone.

    Now, I am a Pre-aholic and have cut Palm an immense amount of slack. I am not quite a full fledged member of the "Pre Defense League" as its been called but I do defend them more than complain.

    However, I am really aggravated by this bug. I'd at the very least like to see Palm admit the bug exists and give us some sort of idea of when it will be fixed. I don't even feel like using the phone lately its been so buggy and laggy.

    Anyway, I just wanted to see if I am alone in my fedupedness.
  2. #2  
    It P!$$e$ me off,not enough to assault Jon though!
    Pre|central Peacekeepers
  3. #3  
    have only had about five random restarts this year. one was last night when checking out the SBR TV app, which i guess was causing restarts for others too.
  4. #4  
    If you are still experiencing random reboots after installing webOS version 1.4.1.x. We would like to collect some log files from devices experiencing this issue to find out what could be causing it. If you are interested in providing a log file please send me a private message.

    Be prepared to also include this information.

    1. Device
    2. Carrier
    3. What you was doing when the reboot happened (e.g. Opening app catalog, or nothing)
    4. Can you tie the reboot to a certain action or is it completely random (e.g. random, or everytime I go to the app catalog)
    5. Previous webOS version
    6. How did you update (e.g via doctor or OTA)
    7. Patches that are installed (we don't believe patches are the reason for the reboot, we just like to know what's on there)
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

    5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

    6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  5. #5  
    i used to get the random restarts back in 1.4.0 when i had heavy themes on. so i changed it to a simpler theme and it stopped. now in 1.4.1(.1) i have the same simple theme and i get the random restarts even more often. 3 times yesterday alone this is ridiculous. like the OP said i love my pre i defend more than i complain but there are somethings you cant let slide. only improvement i saw in 1.4.1(.1) was the doc and pdf app fix because even the camera have the same bug that when you are recording a video and receive a txt or a IM it stops recording...... VERY ANNOYED
  6. djmcgee's Avatar
    Posts
    626 Posts
    Global Posts
    627 Global Posts
    #6  
    I doctored new with 1.4.0 a while back and generally haven't had too much trouble. I have noticed that when I add a patch and I choose to Luna Restart "Later" I invariably have an unexpected restart. I rarely have a just plain shutdown, very rare. I attribute this to a clean 1.4.0 install.
    Dan
  7. #7  
    sometimes, my screen keep black no matter I press the power button. Sometimes, the system restart when press the power button.

    Sometime, the system restart without any message. I found it by noticing the clock alarm disappeared in middle of my nap.
  8. #8  
    This Poll had me LMAO
  9. #9  
    I get random Luna restarts, too. They only started after I installed Preware and a few patches, though. But I will send you the info anyway, HardBeatz. Maybe it can help you.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by VenpaCasa View Post
    i used to get the random restarts back in 1.4.0 when i had heavy themes on. so i changed it to a simpler theme and it stopped. now in 1.4.1(.1) i have the same simple theme and i get the random restarts even more often. 3 times yesterday alone this is ridiculous. like the OP said i love my pre i defend more than i complain but there are somethings you cant let slide. only improvement i saw in 1.4.1(.1) was the doc and pdf app fix because even the camera have the same bug that when you are recording a video and receive a txt or a IM it stops recording...... VERY ANNOYED
    how about uninstalling the theme? It's very annoying that you have these tweakes installed and expect the pre to function normal.

    and wow 3 restarts and annoyed that you have to wait 5 mins. Go make a cup of ice tea by the time ur done making ur tea the phone will restart. Very annoyed at these itchy people over somethin like restarts.

    oh and I have no problems at all after the update and I have 800mhz installed
  11. #11  
    I get the random resets as well, but it doesn't seem to be too random for me. It seems that 99.9% of my reboots have come after using Preware --OR-- webOS Quick Install. It may happen during or shortly after using these to install app or patches, or just to look at what is available.

    And, I know that it gets triggered from here because I have JSTop running in the background and while I am connected to either Preware of webOS QI, i see a lot on different processes running (systemui, email, messaging, jstop, etc), but after I am in Preware for a while or connected to webOS QI, all the processes are removed except for Systemui, launcher, preware and jstop. thats it! also, the resource monitor goes from 20MB or so down to 10-12MB when this happens

    I have noticed that once this happens, my phone will reset on my anywhere from 0 to 10 minutes later
  12. #12  
    Good thread, and it's "Pre-Defense FORCE" hahaha
  13. #13  
    My phone shuts down randomly, (not often enuff to be terribly mad about it) and does not restart. I'm running 1.4.1 and 800mhz patch. This is not a lunar restart so i'm wondering if this is an entirely new problem or this would fall into this category?
  14. #14  
    Yeah I'm getting random reboots, but there's no WAY I'm going to get angry with Palm due to the amount of patches and homebrew apps I have.

    It's great that a Palm rep showed up on this thread, and it's really important to respond to his request so that Palm can get a better idea about what's going on. But I also think that the devs of all the apps and patches should do their work too and they are. I can't tell you how many patches and apps I've updated since the 1.4.1 update.

    I would suggest making sure all your patches and apps are up to date. If they are and it's still bothering you, then uninstall everything and add each app one at a time. If you see random restarts again, then tell Palm right away. That way they can actually do something about it.

    Speaking of which, Hardbeatz, I have no idea how to send anyone an log file. I would if I knew how.

    I totally understand the frustration, but lets keep some perspective. Palm can't help us if we don't help them.
  15. #15  
    No reboot issues on our 3 Sprint Pres.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    Speaking of which, Hardbeatz, I have no idea how to send anyone an log file. I would if I knew how.

    I totally understand the frustration, but lets keep some perspective. Palm can't help us if we don't help them.
    From a prior message from HardBeatZ:

    Below you will find instructions on creating a log file so we can see what is hopefully causing the issue.

    1. Receive the text message
    2. Launch the phone application
    3. Type ##LOGS# on the virtual dialpad
    4. Select quick log create
    5. Email log file to contactpalm@precentral.net

    Also please include in the email what the log file is for so I can match your log file to your issue.

    Thank you,
    HardBeatZ
    Last edited by Audemars02; 04/06/2010 at 10:52 PM.
  17. #17  
    If you have installed apps or patches with preware, it closes processes that the phone needs to work properly. If this happens and the phone locks the screen it will usually reset luna when you try to unlock it. You can use jstop app in preware to monitor the processes and you will know when they are closed, just do a luna restart yourself or reset the phone after you install apps and everything should work fine.

    I'm not official for anything, but on my pre if I have JStop open and install anything threw preware you can see all the (Phone,Messaging,Calendar,Email,Clock,Camera) processes stop. After that if I don't mess with my phone and it locks with the drag icon 9 out of 10 it will do a luna restart, it is repeatable/testable if you have preware and jstop.
  18. #18  
    reboots are driving me crazy. Everyone I know with a Pre is getting them too. I get at least 1 or 2 a day. Palm better fix this.
  19. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by n3cr0cr0w View Post
    If you have installed apps or patches with preware, it closes processes that the phone needs to work properly. If this happens and the phone locks the screen it will usually reset luna when you try to unlock it. You can use jstop app in preware to monitor the processes and you will know when they are closed, just do a luna restart yourself or reset the phone after you install apps and everything should work fine.

    I'm not official for anything, but on my pre if I have JStop open and install anything threw preware you can see all the (Phone,Messaging,Calendar,Email,Clock,Camera) processes stop. After that if I don't mess with my phone and it locks with the drag icon 9 out of 10 it will do a luna restart, it is repeatable/testable if you have preware and jstop.
    This is the same issue I was reporting on post #11 ... this seems to be the only time i get the random reboots..
  20. #20  
    http //forums.precentral.net/2308011-post5607.html

    Words from Rod from webos internals
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions