View Poll Results: I am THIS mad about the 1.4.x Random Restarts?

Voters
338. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have no reboot issues sucka!

116 34.32%
  • 1.4 was a big update, I am remaining patient

48 14.20%
  • I am annoyed

137 40.53%
  • If I saw Rubinstein on the street I'd throw my Pre at his head

37 10.95%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    i just had another random restart...im so ready to dump this phone by summer time.
    HTC EVO 4G
    ROOTED
    CM6 ROM
    50FPS
    40mflops
    If you have modified your phone in ANY way (patches, themes, preware) you have NO right complaining to palm about any software problems of WebOS.

period.

YOU are modifying your phone, not Palm, and any issues you encounter are now solely your problem. Not Palms

Thank you.
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    If you have modified your phone in ANY way (patches, themes, preware) you have NO right complaining to palm about any software problems of WebOS.

period.

YOU are modifying your phone, not Palm, and any issues you encounter are now solely your problem. Not Palms

Thank you.
    Wow, thanks for clearing this all up for us. NM the fact that people who have never patched their phones are experiencing this issue.

period.

Thank you.
    i can complain about how palm used sprint customers as beta tester...hell this phone is a beta phone...with no patches it's missing a boat load of basic functions.
    Last edited by dannydos; 04/09/2010 at 08:01 AM.
    HTC EVO 4G
    ROOTED
    CM6 ROM
    50FPS
    40mflops
    It happens to me, quit annoying. Bump to see what the folks at Verizon have to say after to their newest update. (maybe its fixed in their version)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cylon View Post
    My phone shuts down randomly, (not often enuff to be terribly mad about it) and does not restart. I'm running 1.4.1 and 800mhz patch. This is not a lunar restart so i'm wondering if this is an entirely new problem or this would fall into this category?
    Sounds like a loose battery. Does it ever happen when you close the slider or put your phone on the desk? Does it ever happen when the phone is bouncing around in a pocket or purse?

The original problem of loose battery caused shut-downs in those situations. I would take the phone out of my pocket and realize it had been off for the last few hours. At some point Palm made a slight change to the battery because of this, but I just got a Siedio 1350mah and that took care of it.

Is your random shut down ever like that? Or is it more like others have where it seems to happen after using Preware or QuickInstall?

I have made it a habit to to a complete shut-down/re-start after I do any tweaking, and that seems to keep things stable.

Also, are you running the "temp warning" app? That will shut your phone off if it hits 50c deg. Is your phone back really hot after a random shut down?

And in the spirit of "there's an app for that"... remember there is a Preware app that will let you schedule an automatic restart, like while you are asleep. I would try that if you are getting random restarts.

If it's mostly random shutting off, that sounds like a hardware problem that you should get taken care of, even if it just means a little tape to make your battery fit more snugly.

period.

Thank you.
    I don't agree. Part of the WebOS value is that Palm makes it possible and encourages the community. I don't expect Palm support to take calls about the mods, but that doesn't mean that they should ignore it (and they don't, note that someone from Palm is asking for log files in a previous post).

The point of these forums is specifically so we can help one another when tweaking creates problems. There is a right to bring it up, and actually it helps us all because then we all learn and all contribute to solving problems, or to help the homebrewer make better mods. Palm gets major kudos for that.

They have no right to blame Palm, but they have the right to expect Palm to make sure they aren't inadvertently making it worse for well-designed homebrewing.

As I said before, you see palm actively gathering info so they can understand how homebrew issues pertain to the OS and hardware.

They call these forums a "community" because we all have a common interest. If there was no right to complain, this forum wouldn't be so valuable.

You don't see apple or blackberry actively participating in their homebrew communities. That's part of why WebOS is so great.

...just sayin'
    Never happen. Had mine seven months.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannydos View Post
    i can complain about how palm used sprint customers as beta tester...hell this phone is a beta phone...with no patches it's missing a boat load of basic functions.
    ...this from someone that drives a car with iDrive. Wow.

...and if you can afford that car, you can afford the ETF to get something else.

and then get some help with those anger issues. Wow.

Yes, it's missing some stuff my Centro could do. Yes it's missing some stuff that every other phone has. But it doesn't force me to sync my corporate data through gmail. and it doesn't force me to use AT&T. etc etc. Tomato, tomahto.

You need to get a new phone before you have an anurism and crash that beautiful car.
    So I doctored my phone, and already is more responsive, now to go back and see what caused it to become unresponsive when trying to turn the screen on or not.
    Global Posts
    67 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    First I want to say thank you for everyone who has sent me private messages for the reboot issue and we have provided log files.
    Some of you people are complaining about a couple of random resets IN A DAY?! For serial? Hell, I frequently experience two resets IN A ROW!!
    I'm getting a dozen to 20 resets per day.
    if I could throw this thing at any palm exec I'd do it in an instant, along with my shoe, my other shoe, my grandma's colostomy bag, and anything else I could get my hands on.
    I've never prewared, brewed, doctored, patched, or done anything to this stupid pre. I have to carry a separate phone at all times because each crash means I'm completely unable to send or receive a call while my pre does a spot-on impersonation of a brick paperweight for at least 3 minutes, several times per day (up to 7 minutes recovery time with the double resets)! For those of you keeping track, 3.5mins times 20 times is a completely useless pre "smartphone" for more than an hour every day.
    For critical pda functions I have to also carry one of my old treos. So, using a pre for me means carrying 3 phones.
    I'd get rid of the pre and go fully back to my treos but there's too much data locked up in the pre that I can't synch or transfer out because the brilliant palm people didn't think of that.
    All I can do now is hope HP puts their best brains on making webos function as reliably as the palm of old.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I have no reboot issues sucka!

I never have had even one random restart in 6mos. The first time I played N.O.V.A, I had to do a battery pull cuz my phone froze. That's the first issue and only issue of the sort so far.
    Global Posts
    575 Global Posts
    I have no reboot issues sucka!

I never have had even one random restart in 6mos. The first time I played N.O.V.A, I had to do a battery pull cuz my phone froze. That's the first issue and only issue of the sort so far.

edit; and this is the first double post from my pre...lol
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234