View Poll Results: I am THIS mad about the 1.4.x Random Restarts?

Voters
338. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have no reboot issues sucka!

116 34.32%
  • 1.4 was a big update, I am remaining patient

48 14.20%
  • I am annoyed

137 40.53%
  • If I saw Rubinstein on the street I'd throw my Pre at his head

37 10.95%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by huffman01 View Post
    how do I create a log to email you on this issue? My Pre has been acting a bit weird since I did the 1.4.1 update like I will wake it up and get a black screen when I hold the power button down I get a charm so the phone is on but the screen and the keyboard remain dark.
    After the phone restarts, start the Phone Dialer app. Dial ##LOGS# (##5647#). Select Create Quick Log. You can save it to the device to retrieve or email it from there.
    im having this problem and i am also running the 720 kernel. could that be the problem. it did it before i had the kernel ever installed though
  3.    #43  
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    I had been wondering ever since 1.4 was released WHY have so many people experienced random reboots when I haven't had ANY. I had noticed pretty soon after the update was released that whenever I used WOSQI or Preware to install/remove packages, most if not all the main processes stopped running. It is apparent when all your cards close by themselves and you try to open the phone app and it does not load completely the first time. You have to close it then reopen it. I always just rebooted my phone manually to fix this. This explains why I never had a random reboot. People need to start understanding this and not bash Palm for this issue, it's NOT Palm's fault. They may quietly support the homebrew community and webOS Internals, but they do NOT go around advising people to use these programs.
    Do some searching, I saw over a dozen people with this issue with 1.4 that had NO patches or homebrew. Its been said numerous times that its a bug in the OS that preware exposes. However, I cannot say for certain if that is the case with 1.4.1 I have not yet seen anyone have an issue without preware report on reboots yet and my reboots have resulted from Preware use. But that is not to say preware is certainly causing the issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    Do some searching, I saw over a dozen people with this issue with 1.4 that had NO patches or homebrew. Its been said numerous times that its a bug in the OS that preware exposes. However, I cannot say for certain if that is the case with 1.4.1 I have not yet seen anyone have an issue without preware report on reboots yet and my reboots have resulted from Preware use. But that is not to say preware is certainly causing the issue.
    2 of the 3 Pres in our family are running Preware with 15 patches on one phone nd 36 on the other. Neither of us have had the random resets as described by the people in this thread. I know it must be really frustrating not only with this rebooting issue but with also trying to pin point the cause of said issue. People have reported this reset issue after 1.4.1.1 on stock Pre's and Pre's with Preware and besides, as reported by the Preware developers, Preware is just an application and when it is closed it has no effect on the OS.
    Here is the limited research I have done on the issue, and how I have prevented my Pre from doing it (most of the time).

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...xperience.html
    Follow me on teh Twitterz
    Quote Originally Posted by nyquistJack View Post
    I'm still blaming it on Preware, WOSQI, or Package Manager Service, or a combo of those. I've given up on Preware/Package Manager for now because I notice a definite slowdown on my Pre whenever they're installed. Or maybe Palm really does not want us using Preware and implemented that "bug" as a "feature".
    Last edited by QuarlesLT; 04/07/2010 at 02:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by QuarlesLT View Post
    I'm still blaming it on Preware, WOSQI, or Package Manager Service, or a combo of those. I've given up on Preware/Package Manager for now because I notice a definite slowdown on my Pre whenever they're installed. Or maybe Palm really does not want us using Preware and implemented that "bug" as a "feature".
    Everyone here is entitled to their beliefs and opinions but we have 3 Pre's in our family, 2 with Preware and patches and 1 completely stock and I have compared them side by side and there is no visible difference in the speed and performance between the Pre with Preware and the Pre that is stock. Also, none of these phones have the reset issues after Sprint's 1.4.1.1 update, so I don't know what to tell you.
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    Everyone here is entitled to their beliefs and opinions but we have 3 Pre's in our family, 2 with Preware and patches and 1 completely stock and I have compared them side by side and there is no visible difference in the speed and performance between the Pre with Preware and the Pre that is stock. Also, none of these phones have the reset issues after Sprint's 1.4.1.1 update, so I don't know what to tell you.
    It's probably just affecting a few people (the slowdown).
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post

We have 2 Pres. My wife's is a beast and almost always runs like a champ. Heck, I did a side by side comparison, mine with the 800 mhz patch and hers without...and they were the same freaking speed. She has almost the exact same patches that I have.

Maybe she won't notice if I swap them
    mine reboots almost everytime I turn the screen off and try to turnn it on again.

I have alot of patches and running 800mhz.

I Removed everything and doctored the phone and I have the same issue.. Weird!
    Ivan's Themes main thread

Oklahoma Sooner theme

If you would like to because you like my work or you just want to buy me a drink I would really appreciate it.
    Global Posts
    447 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ivan1.ruiz View Post
    mine reboots almost everytime I turn the screen off and try to turnn it on again.

I have alot of patches and running 800mhz.

I Removed everything and doctored the phone and I have the same issue.. Weird!
    Create logs and send it to HBz for analysis.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    If you are still experiencing random reboots after installing webOS version 1.4.1.x. We would like to collect some log files from devices experiencing this issue to find out what could be causing it. If you are interested in providing a log file please send me a private message.

Be prepared to also include this information.

1. Device
    2. Carrier
    3. What you was doing when the reboot happened (e.g. Opening app catalog, or nothing)
    4. Can you tie the reboot to a certain action or is it completely random (e.g. random, or everytime I go to the app catalog)
    5. Previous webOS version
    6. How did you update (e.g via doctor or OTA)
    7. Patches that are installed (we don't believe patches are the reason for the reboot, we just like to know what's on there)
    1- Palm Pre
    2- Sprint
    3- I will open an application, phone will go to sleep, then try to turn it back on, it will stay black for a second, then the screen will show the open app slightly for half a second, then reboot.
    4- See statement above, does not seem to matter the app.
    5- 1.4.0
    6- OTA to 1.4.1.1
    7- About 30 of them and will list them if you REALLY want me to....
    Quote Originally Posted by n3cr0cr0w View Post
    If you have installed apps or patches with preware, it closes processes that the phone needs to work properly. If this happens and the phone locks the screen it will usually reset luna when you try to unlock it. You can use jstop app in preware to monitor the processes and you will know when they are closed, just do a luna restart yourself or reset the phone after you install apps and everything should work fine.

I'm not official for anything, but on my pre if I have JStop open and install anything threw preware you can see all the (Phone,Messaging,Calendar,Email,Clock,Camera) processes stop. After that if I don't mess with my phone and it locks with the drag icon 9 out of 10 it will do a luna restart, it is repeatable/testable if you have preware and jstop.
    This!

I believe this is the root of my reboot issues. Just now I installed Luna Manager in hopes to prevent this from happening, but alas, I did not restart my Pre or Luna via Preware. The screen turned off, and when I tried to power it back on, reboot.

I do uninstall and install new patches and apps all the time, so I will have to be sure I do this every time I install or uninstall something.

1. Device Palm Pre
    2. Carrier Sprint
    3. What you was doing when the reboot happened? Pressing the power button to turn the phone on
    4. Can you tie the reboot to a certain action or is it completely random? Seems to happen after I've installed or uninstalled a new app or patch and haven't restarted Luna or the phone
    5. Previous webOS version 1.4.1 (currently on 1.4.1.1)
    6. How did you update? OTA
    7. Patches that are installed
    • 4x4 icons v3
      Ad blocker
      Add select all and new message
      All day events in month view
      Call duration in call log
      Default to month view
      Hide Amazon MP3
      Hide Nascar
      Hide NFL
      Hide SprintTV
      Show app details
      Video camera flashlight
      Virtual keyboard
  14.    #54  
    ^^Make sure you guys PM HardBeatz this information, don't know if he'll check the thread or not
    I've NO Patches installed on my Pre. But I think it has something todo with PreWare itself.
    My last random restart was 5 days ago. Since this restart I did NOT started PreWare on my Pre and had no restart, till now!
    What happend?
    I startet PreWare to check for new software, Preware updated itself and restarted the JAVA stuff (as always).
    After 10 minutes or so, my Phone does a random restart again when i tried to switch it on from standby. Preware was closed minutes ago already.
    O.K. the problem is, if I didn't started Preware, would there also be a random restart?

Again: NO PATCHES, NO other kernel, ONLY PreWare
    Device: Palm Pre Europe O2
    Version: 1.4.1
    Carrier: T-Mobile

I will NOT start PreWare for the next few days/weeks and watch this.
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by caj2008 View Post
    I am angry too!!
    Not good! If a webos hero is angry, something MUST be done!!!

Everyone, Private Message (PM) HardBeatz your log and related info. The more details Palm has the better chance they have at solving our issue. Go back to the first page in this thread, find HardBeatz's post, click his name and click send message.
    I didn't have any reboot issues... until I saw this thread. Seriously I read the title of this thread, then my phone rebooted! You scared it :-(
    First I want to say thank you for everyone who has sent me private messages for the reboot issue and we have provided log files.

Unfortunately I can't disclose any findings from these log files, but can't say that we are looking into each and every one of them to hopefully find all possible circumstances in which this issue can occur.

I encourage any customers who are having this issue and have not contacted me to provide log files to do so, the more information we have the more likely we are able to find a solution.

Thank you,
    HardBeatZ
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    First I want to say thank you for everyone who has sent me private messages for the reboot issue and we have provided log files.

Unfortunately I can't disclose any findings from these log files, but can't say that we are looking into each and every one of them to hopefully find all possible circumstances in which this issue can occur.

I encourage any customers who are having this issue and have not contacted me to provide log files to do so, the more information we have the more likely we are able to find a solution.

Thank you,
    HardBeatZ
    I've been noticing a Lockup/Luna Restart issue with playing music/audio. Is this a known issue? It seems ever since 1.4.0 there have been issues with Audio system.

Would you like me to recreate the issue and create some logs or is this a known issue?
  20.    #60  
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidvash View Post
    I didn't have any reboot issues... until I saw this thread. Seriously I read the title of this thread, then my phone rebooted! You scared it :-(
    Wow...that sucks! PM HardBeatz a log, it'll make your Pre feel brave
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast