View Poll Results: I am THIS mad about the 1.4.x Random Restarts?

Voters
338. You may not vote on this poll
  • I have no reboot issues sucka!

116 34.32%
  • 1.4 was a big update, I am remaining patient

48 14.20%
  • I am annoyed

137 40.53%
  • If I saw Rubinstein on the street I'd throw my Pre at his head

37 10.95%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    are people still getting this on 1.4.1?
    In a world of droid, Pre does it better.

Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?
    Although I do not have a proof, I think lots of problems started happening after the original 1.4 update are related to having Preware and the Package service manager. I installed patches via Preware and experienced the random restarts. I deleted Preware, package service and patches and then installed the patches from QI and have not had any issues, in fact my phone seems smoother without Preware installed.
    I love preware - patching when I want without a pc, I just restart after i'm done
    Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    are people still getting this on 1.4.1?
    Yes.
    Global Posts
    322 Global Posts
    I was getting about 2 a week with 1.4.0. I haven't had a single reboot issue with 1.4.1.
    No reboot issues, but also no themes or preware.
  7.    #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Vociferous View Post
    Yeah I'm getting random reboots, but there's no WAY I'm going to get angry with Palm due to the amount of patches and homebrew apps I have.

It's great that a Palm rep showed up on this thread, and it's really important to respond to his request so that Palm can get a better idea about what's going on. But I also think that the devs of all the apps and patches should do their work too and they are. I can't tell you how many patches and apps I've updated since the 1.4.1 update.

I would suggest making sure all your patches and apps are up to date. If they are and it's still bothering you, then uninstall everything and add each app one at a time. If you see random restarts again, then tell Palm right away. That way they can actually do something about it.

Speaking of which, Hardbeatz, I have no idea how to send anyone an log file. I would if I knew how.

I totally understand the frustration, but lets keep some perspective. Palm can't help us if we don't help them.
    While I can't say for sure its the case with 1.4.1 there were dozens of posts from people with stock Pres (no patches or homebrew) that experienced the reboots, so your assumption is wrong. Its just that whatever the bug is, Preware exposes it but so did the app catalog, at least for sure in 1.4.

Hardbeatz said PM him and he will tell you how to get the logs as its an undocumented feature I doubt he wants to post in the open.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by VickMackey View Post
    Good thread, and it's "Pre-Defense FORCE" hahaha
    Doh, lousy memory. I was going to say Pre-Defense League as coined by VickMackey but couldn't 100% remember the screenname and didn't want to get it wrong...plus I am just way too lazy to look it up
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    If you are still experiencing random reboots after installing webOS version 1.4.1.x. We would like to collect some log files from devices experiencing this issue to find out what could be causing it. If you are interested in providing a log file please send me a private message.
    Is this the same procedure I used to submit logs for the streaming media / ringtone preview issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
    Is this the same procedure I used to submit logs for the streaming media / ringtone preview issue?
    Basically yes. Reproduce the issue, create log, email to me
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
  11.    #31  
    Hardbeatz,

I had an email written, log attached, a ton of detail, was planning on sending it after some cleanup...then like an ***** I rebooted the phone cause it was acting goofy...no draft...UGH.

So I am waiting for another crash and I will get you the log and stuff.
    I had been wondering ever since 1.4 was released WHY have so many people experienced random reboots when I haven't had ANY. I had noticed pretty soon after the update was released that whenever I used WOSQI or Preware to install/remove packages, most if not all the main processes stopped running. It is apparent when all your cards close by themselves and you try to open the phone app and it does not load completely the first time. You have to close it then reopen it. I always just rebooted my phone manually to fix this. This explains why I never had a random reboot. People need to start understanding this and not bash Palm for this issue, it's NOT Palm's fault. They may quietly support the homebrew community and webOS Internals, but they do NOT go around advising people to use these programs.
    Very annoyed that they did not fix this and annoyed that on the last podcast they said they did
    I wanna get the word out that update 1.4.1.1 not only fixed all the random restarts and freeze ups, it made my not-overclocked Pre almost as fast as in the 800MHz overclock demo video

I can also multitask to my heart's content now.

Very happy with my launch day Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Basically yes. Reproduce the issue, create log, email to me
    how do I create a log to email you on this issue? My Pre has been acting a bit weird since I did the 1.4.1 update like I will wake it up and get a black screen when I hold the power button down I get a charm so the phone is on but the screen and the keyboard remain dark.
    My History of the last 10 years with Sprint! Palm Pre is by far the BEST!

Quote Originally Posted by huffman01 View Post
    how do I create a log to email you on this issue? My Pre has been acting a bit weird since I did the 1.4.1 update like I will wake it up and get a black screen when I hold the power button down I get a charm so the phone is on but the screen and the keyboard remain dark.
    when your screen goes blank but doesn't restart try pressing the power button 3times fast that works for me let me know if this helps
    Definatly something to try but i am looking for a long term fix as well. Any idea on what is causing this? Patch, App, or update?
    My History of the last 10 years with Sprint! Palm Pre is by far the BEST!

Lots of Patches
    No themes
    No Restarts

I should say except for the poldergeist in San Francisco this weekend.
    I am not a ghosty person but because of issues with my $99 hotel room (a.c).
    The hotel moved me to the only other room available which was the largest suite in the hotel (bigger than my house) and had a rooftop patio (bigger than my first room).
    the room definitely had some paranormal activity going on, many electronic.

Anyway when walking into the room on the first day my phone shut off and would not start, or restart... show any signs of life. I left it on the charger... nothing. We were sitting and popped a bottle of champagne and the palm screen came on out of nowhere (after about 3 hours of comatose).
    damn, i voted i didn't have random restart, but it just happen to me lol, i was listening to music screen turned off cause idle, then i hit power button to bring screen back up, nothing happens, music still playing, then i hit it again, it reboots ***.

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by huffman01 View Post
    Definatly something to try but i am looking for a long term fix as well. Any idea on what is causing this? Patch, App, or update?
    does it work?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast