Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Hey guys,

Been lurking these forums ever since I got word that palm was releasing the Palm Pre. After seeing those buggy initial Pre's, I decided to wait (not like I had any choice in the matter). Now that we have Pre Plus totally whoopin ***, I definitely gotta get my hands on one of those!

Does anyone have a clue as to when it'll be released here in Asia?

And what's with this app store limitation? Does that stop me from buying apps from other places like handmark, palmgear, mobihand etc...? Because I can totally accept that.

And what about updates? If I were to buy an unlocked phone from Germany or some place, will I be able to update my Pre Plus?

Seriously, we need more info. We get Blackberries, Iphones, Android, WM phones up the wazoo over here but absolutely no sign of anything WebOS!!!

Palm, seriously, you've got a huge market here! Hurry up before everyone else gets wise to your ways and develops and releases something that makes your WebOS irrelevant!

lorsban
    I agree. Palm needs to officially get into Asia-Pacific pronto!
    Expansys has the Palm Pre Plus on "pre-order" but like the Pixi, it has not materialised yet
    http://www.expansys.com.hk/d.aspx?i=195245

As for the Palm Pre, I find what makes the device better than earlier versions is actually the software/OS updates. I don't think the increased Ram will help more than the ability to multi-task better but seriously most of the time I have at the most 4-5 apps open at one go and that suffices for my needs. So if you need to have a WebOS device, I think the Palm Pre is a great device, no need to wait for the palm Pre Plus.
    As for apps, we can get the free apps one way or the other but there is no access to paid apps yet
    Check out my My Medical webOS Apps
    Featured free apps: DrugView | Eponyms | eMed | Dosecalcfree | Beeb News
    Do you think its a good idea to start a petition for unofficial countries for Palm to open up the free apps in the app catalog world wide? heehee
    Yes!! Petition!!!!
    how can we organize ourselves for this? we had a thread going back there that collated all of the "unofficial users"...
    Facebook group?
    It's a good start. However: How big is the chance that there isn't one already? There appears to be a group for everything already
    what is asia for you? Iran? Japan? Thailand?
    Quote Originally Posted by squ33d View Post
    all of above, plus Malaysia, Singapore, Hong Kong, china etc..
    The closest we have is China Telecom bringing in Pre in July.
    Quote Originally Posted by squ33d View Post
    How about China, India, Singapore, Hong Kong, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia etc. More importantly, only the largest, cellphone market in the world. The Asia market is probably larger than even the entire US and EU market combined. Someone needs to point out to Palm, that there is a world outside the US. I simply don't understand why Palm needs to tie up with service providers and then have to tailor the phone as per the carriers needs. Why can't they simply release an unlocked GSM phone for the rest of the world. Atleast 99% of all GSM phones sold in India are unlocked and sold directly by retailers. It would take Palm at most a few days to be able to have a firmware ready for the rest of the world, which primarily use unlocked phones only.
    the Philippines is a huge cellphone market too... It's even singled out by AdMob in their latest report next to India and Indonesia.

There is a HUGE market opportunity there. Specially where iPhones are not sold through the carriers.
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    I simply don't understand why Palm needs to tie up with service providers and then have to tailor the phone as per the carriers needs.
    I think its cause the carriers somehow are able to subsidize some of palms costs. The carriers handle practically the whole distribution process for palm. Plus, its easier to hande bulk sales to a few than to manage hundreds of little stores worldwide. At least thats my theory.

Apple's doing really well in my country because of the countless apple stores/dealerships here. Prior to webOS, palm closed all their retail outlets, except a handful(?). So, I guess they're reliant on the big time distribution centers like the carriers and best buy type places. I don't blame them either since they don't have quite the product mix that apple or anyone else has.
    There was an article a while ago on Palminfocenter that Palm isn't launching webOS devices until at least second half of 2010 with the "second-gen" webOS device.

Asia-Pacific Pre Will Be Second-Generation, Mid-to-Late 2010

Although not too sure about this "second-gen" device, I think it'll end up being the Pre Plus. After all some Palm Asian country pages were updated with a Pre on it, e.g. Hong Kong, which is kind of wierd if they all of a sudden launch a completely different device, people would wonder what this Pre thing was (majority consumer, not enthusiasts who probably already parallel-imported Euro Pres in.)
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    53 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    There was an article a while ago on Palminfocenter that Palm isn't launching webOS devices until at least second half of 2010 with the "second-gen" webOS device.

Asia-Pacific Pre Will Be Second-Generation, Mid-to-Late 2010

Although not too sure about this "second-gen" device, I think it'll end up being the Pre Plus. After all some Palm Asian country pages were updated with a Pre on it, e.g. Hong Kong, which is kind of wierd if they all of a sudden launch a completely different device, people would wonder what this Pre thing was (majority consumer, not enthusiasts who probably already parallel-imported Euro Pres in.)
    Well, that sounds promising! Hopefully by then there'll be app support as well.