Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    Hi all, I have been lurking around for awhile, but have not found a solution to my problem. I apologize up front if there was a thread on this.

My main headache is the the GPS on my Palm Pre sucks (I use Sprint.) Don't know how else to say it. I try to use Google Maps a lot, and I'd say that my GPS works maybe 30% of the time. And it's only gotten worse the past few updates. Typically, it works fine right after a phone reboot, but doing that is not fun. Weird thing, is that my wife's Pre works even worse.

Is this a known issue? the only thing I've seen lately is about the Pre Plus, which is NOT what I have.

Do you guys have any recommendations?

Thanks!
    Weird thing for me is that i can no longer get a gps lock inside my house, I would need to go outside, when it other OS versions, I had got a gps lock in my house with no problem.This is a pain for me as you can Imagine since im a heating and air supervisor, so i plan my calls the night before or sometimes on the road. I don't now if it is my pre or just an OS glitch
    GPS will always work best outside, but my app (see m sig) will usually get results within a few seconds, even in my house.

I am curious how it works for you. Give it a try and send me an email so I don't miss it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    GPS will always work best outside, but my app (see m sig) will usually get results within a few seconds, even in my house.

I am curious how it works for you. Give it a try and send me an email so I don't miss it.
    you got no sig...
    http://developer.palm.com/appredirect/?packageid=com.developersnice.nicegpsuperior&applicationid=2430

that's odd. My sig works in the "WebOS Development" forum...
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakyhair View Post
    Is this a known issue? the only thing I've seen lately is about the Pre Plus, which is NOT what I have.

Do you guys have any recommendations?
    Well, personally, I have no problems -- mine gets a lock for me inside within 30 seconds or so. Outside it is much quicker. I use it all the time (not for directions, but for GolfPinFinder) and it is very accurate.

So, it is not all Pre's like it seems to be with Verizon. But my suggestion would be to go visit a Sprint store and have them compare it to their display model. If it does not get a lock and performs as poorly as you say it could be reason for a warranty replacement.
    Not that this was your problem, but there was a lovly geomagnetic storm from a solar flare on the 3rd. It last a good week as far as I know.

In othernews, I dont' have issues with my gps, I never get a signal inside but thats to be expected no line of sight to the sky man.

Do the GPS hack listed somewhere on these forums and you will improve your GPS response times ten fold.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    thanks for the replies.

our seems to suck wherever we are. outside, or in. but like I said, after restarts, it works flawless for awhile, indoors or out. been like this for months. we've just been dealing with it, but I'm getting sick of it. I know I should be happy that my "phone" makes calls, and can surf the web, but I paid a lot for this when it first came out. enough whining.

upside: my wife's pre's power button broke last night, so she will get a new one (I think) today or tomorrow. then I can see if the HW's f'd up, or if it's something else.

cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakyhair View Post
    but I paid a lot for this when it first came out. enough whining.
    I know you said "enough whining", so please don't think I am piling on that statement.

But, how much do people pay for GPS devices for their cars? Anywhere from $100 - $300, right? You paid at most $250 for your Sprint Pre and it does so much more than just sit on your dashboard and give you directions. Granted you pay a monthly service fee for "all the other stuff" that your Pre does, but looking at it from that standpoint you could say your GPS is for free.

I'm not discounting what you say at all, I agree, if the GPS doesn't work, return the phone and demand that it be replaced -- I'm sure there are faulty GPS chips in some of them out there.