1.    #1  
    I've been looking for some software to use to change PDF files into Epub etc. To use with pReader on the Pre and I came across this really cool software. It has a demo video on the main page which basically runs you through the process. You can change all different file types and it works really great, so I thought Id let you guys/girls know. Give it a try if you like reading ebooks. It's free, so if you dont like it, it didn't cost anything lol. Enjoy!

calibre - E-book management
    are ebooks readable on the pre?i find myself constantly zooming in and out with the few pdf's on here
  3.    #3  
    Yes. I've been using pReader, as you can use landscape mode if you choose to. It doesnt read PDF's though. That is why I posted this software. You can change PDF's into Epub, etc. and use pReader to peruse them. Works great. I hardly even use landscape mode now.
    Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    are ebooks readable on the pre?i find myself constantly zooming in and out with the few pdf's on here
    Yes, ebooks are readable on the Pre. At least, that's assuming you're reading an actual ebook and not a PDF. PDFs are usually what's known as a fixed layout and are not a good format for an ebook. Most ebook formats are in a reflowable layout. From the Mobipocket Developer Center, here's a definition of the two layouts:

Reflowable vs. fixed layout

Publication file formats can be separated into two categories, reflowable formats and fixed layout formats (but the distinction is not always that simple).

Fixed layout formats are typically designed for printing, they include PostScript and Adobe PDF. A vast majority of PDF files have a fixed layout, but occasionally some PDFs can contain extensions to make them reflowable. The content of fixed layout files is displayed the same way things will appear once printed. Images, words, paragraphs, columns are positioned at fixed coordinates within a page. The size of the page is imposed.

Reflowable formats are typically designed to be displayed on a screens for which the size is not known or imposed. HTML and plain text are reflowable formats.
    Basically, with a fixed layout, you have to scroll all over the place to read a page of text, but a reflowable layout will fix itself based on whatever size screen you're using. pReader is an excellent app that lets you read ebooks in a bunch of different formats, and Calibre is an excellent program that lets you convert books from one format to another. Mobipocket Creator is another program that you can use to convert PDFs, but it only converts them into mobipocket books, whereas Calibre will do multiple formats. pReader, however, does read mobi files, so whichever program you use, you'll be able to read the end product on your Pre.
    The Pre is a little small for reading books for my old eyes. I recently bought a B&N Nook -- it's a lot easier on the eyes and it cost a lot less than the iPad. (I'll be interested to see what apps crop up for the Android engine on the nook.)
    Calibre is great. I download the USA Today and NY times every morning for free! Just click "fetch news" and select whatever paper or magazine from hundreds around the world.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    The Pre is a little small for reading books for my old eyes. I recently bought a B&N Nook -- it's a lot easier on the eyes and it cost a lot less than the iPad. (I'll be interested to see what apps crop up for the Android engine on the nook.)
    Why did you chose the Nook instead of the Kindle? Are you only able to read books from B&N on the Nook?
    for anyone on the fence with this... i'd just like to say that in my bookmarks i have precentral linked to this particular thread because when i saw it i was interested and didn't want to forget about it, and i'm glad i didn't.

preader is such a terrific app, probably my favorite. i've completed oen and a half books on it so far and generally read it on the train to and from work. what a great time killer! you can also adjust the font size to make it easier to read. absolutely terrific and it has renewed my interest in reading. best of all all the software you need is in this thread, AND it's free