Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    My Pre is constantly overheating. Here's the story:

Every time my Pre is charging on the Touchstone or streaming audio over the internet the thing gets extremely hot and activates the temperature warning. While sitting idle the battery is draining at a ridiculous rate (~20% an hour with nothing running).

I overclocked my Pre to 800 MHz using the overclock kernal from WebOS Internals. I then installed Mr. Robitaille's device temperature warning patch. When I heard that the 1.4.1.1 update was coming out I followed the instructions from the overclock thread to go back to stock. I did a battery pull and then did the update. Fast forward to this weekend and I couldn't use the phone for navigation or Pandora without a temperature warning.

First thought was a bad battery or Touchstone so I tried my secondary battery and Touchstone and I'm still having the problem. I've already tried to use WebOS doctor and just tonight I did a full app+data reset from the phone itself and it seems the problem won't go away.

Does anybody have any suggestions? Is it possible I never got rid of the OC kernal all the way before the update? Could I have a serious hardware issue?
    Sprint Technical Consultant
    BSE Electrical Engineering
    --
    Palm Pre - WebOS 1.4.5 - UberKernal 500/1000 Screenstate
    RIM Blackberry Bold 9650 - OS 5.0.0.975/6.0.0.280
    Did you check your CPU scaling and see if you are actually back to 500MHz? That's the most surefire way of making sure you're back to stock.

I did the 720MHz patch and constantly got warnings when charging on Touchstone, so I went back to stock and it's all gone.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    how do you do CPU scaling?
    I bet its the touchstone.... wireless charging just sounds like its gonna create a bunch of heat....
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    My Pre is on FIRE, literally
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
    Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    Just checked CPU speed, down to 500 MHZ as usual.

I'm going to go ahead and try re doing the overclock and removing it
    Sprint Technical Consultant
    BSE Electrical Engineering
    --
    Palm Pre - WebOS 1.4.5 - UberKernal 500/1000 Screenstate
    RIM Blackberry Bold 9650 - OS 5.0.0.975/6.0.0.280
    I loaded the temp warning patch last night, and this afternoon, I got the warning alarm. I was driving so I didn't even get to see what the temperature was. I had my wife pop the battery so as not to waste time.

After rebooting, maybe 15 minutes later, it ran warm for a while, but no alarm issue. For the rest of the afternoon and into the evening, it has run cool again.

Not sure what the cause is. I've been overclocked at 800Mhz since some time last week, and it has been running great! Performance has been stellar and the phone has run very cool. Seems odd that it would choose to run hot the day after I load the temp warning app. Does anyone know what sort of actions trigger an overheat? How much time do I have before a permanent problem might occur? Is the 720Mhz overclock notably "safer" than the 800Mhz?

Thanks!
    Last edited by pelikan3; 04/05/2010 at 11:43 PM.
    see my post here <ahref="http://forums.precentral.net/showthread.php?p=2383378/a> for some info that may help everyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by LurkerX View Post
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
    http://xkcd.com/725/
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    http://xkcd.com/725/
    Very good,
    i had something simular happen to me -- my phone would get extremely hot on the touchstone or with the usb cord plugged into the phone -- the battery would not charge at all -- i took it back to verizon and they replaced the phone -- i plugged a solar charger (solio) into the phone and i believe this is what fried the charger part of the phone
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2
    " I am only a stupid electrician after all"

My house is a webOS house
    My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
  12. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    get rid of the overclocking.
    my phone has always gotten super hot over clocking or not I have never been able to figure it out it does help when I put it in airplane mode when I go to bed to charge it and if I'm in the middle of something and I get the warning I put it in the freezer for a min or two that fixes it pretty quick good luck though
    The only time my Pre got very hot was when I was living in NJ in a spotty coverage area. Tethering made the device almost too hot to hold...
    I have not tried the overclocking, as I wanted to install the temp warning patch and see how hot my Pre was running before overclocking, as it always seemed quite warm when on the touchstone. After installing the patch, I noticed that when it is on the touchstone, it consistently sounds the alarm. So I doubt that the overclocking is responsible for the high temps others are seeing. I do have mine patched, but nothing too extreme.

I also have the luna restart issue quite frequently despite running JSTop (it helped...from one an hour to once every day or two). I also have an issue where my phone just goes dead. (Not the loose battery issue) It will be sitting on my desk, and I will pick it up and the screen will not come on...power button will do nothing. Only fix is to do a battery pull and let it restart. I had this same issue on my last phone and Sprint just swapped it out not too long ago...so I am quite miffed that it is still happening. I did a complete wipe/doctor about a week ago, and it is still doing the same exact thing after a fresh load with no patches. Is it possible that my battery is to blame? (On my 3rd Pre, but original battery).

Would love to get my shutdown/lockup and heat issues resolved as I am dying to try the overclock patch...but fearful with my current woes that the overclocking will either exacerbate the issues or fry my Pre due to fiery heat death. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    I personally think you have something/things going on in the background, or have two bad batteries. I'm guessing yours gets so hot because it's processor is working on something. I could see the touch stone and streaming music at the same time as a cause. Maybe there is more going on that you don't know about. For example, you might have multiple e-mail accounts that are being checked continuously. Could you be downloading a huge file by mistake. I had that happen with one of my e-mail accounts. When mine started getting hot, I closed my e-mail program, but realized later my pocket was getting hot. It was still downloading "stuff". Maybe you're in a poor coverage area and the Pre is constantly looking for service. I'm thinking for you to be getting that kind of battery drain, your Pre is trying to accomplish some task. I have the 800mhz patch (or whatever a person calls it), and I use the touchstone every night. Mine never gets hot for those reasons.

Good luck finding the cause
    every once and a while when i set the phone on the touchstone it will get hot -- never hot enough to set off the alarm but hot -- if i take it off and rearrange it that generally stops it -- the only other time i get hot is on the touchstone in the car -with music remix and trapster running --- i installed the touchstone over the vent so i can cool the phone down to combat this
    I have the 800MHz IPKG and the cpu scaler set to 250-800 and actually the battery temp (= phone temp?) from the battery monitor shows me running a little cooler since this
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    of course my 16 year old son has and droid incredible but i think i remeber finding him on the porch
    I got a touchstone yesterday and after about an hour of my pre charging on it I got a too hot alarm. I looked and my pre was at 112. I took it off and put the pre on airplane mode and let it go down to about 95 degrees and put it back on the touchstone. I kept an eye on it and the last time I checked about 15 minutes after putting it back on it was at 102 but I then fell asleep, so I don't know if it got hotter or not.

I am running the 800mhz kernal but I had nothing else running other then an alarm.
    Quote Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
    I got a touchstone yesterday and after about an hour of my pre charging on it I got a too hot alarm. I looked and my pre was at 112. I took it off and put the pre on airplane mode and let it go down to about 95 degrees and put it back on the touchstone. I kept an eye on it and the last time I checked about 15 minutes after putting it back on it was at 102 but I then fell asleep, so I don't know if it got hotter or not.

I am running the 800mhz kernal but I had nothing else running other then an alarm.
    how are you getting the farenheit temps?
    Rob Chilcott

Twitter @robchilcott
    pre2

My pre 2, Touchpad 32g
    Wife Pixi, touchpad 32gb
    Daughter -- my old pre+
    Quote Originally Posted by mespiff View Post
    how are you getting the farenheit temps?
    he's probably converting the celcius to farenheit....?

i think it's something on the phone i've been using the 800mhz patch for 2 weeks now, i never get into the 40's.... usually my phone is in low to mid 30's.

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast