Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I just installed IOS 4 on my ipod touch, and I'm having much better results with wifi tethering from Mobile Hotspot(Sprint Pre). I can't verify this with a speed test, but browsing the net, streaming video, and streaming audio all work like I'm on my home wireless.

I have been casually playing with the different tethering options for the last 6 months. Both my iPad and iPod touch have the same issues with super slow speed. If I connected my laptop to Mobile Hotspot everything is fine.

I can only assume that Apple has changed something wifi related in IOS 4. So if you've been bummed about poor tethering speeds with your ipods or iphones, go ahead and try it again after you've updated the software. I just hope I get the same results when the iPad gets IOS4.
    Global Posts
    623 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Readonly View Post
    I just installed IOS 4 on my ipod touch, and I'm having much better results with wifi tethering from Mobile Hotspot(Sprint Pre). I can't verify this with a speed test, but browsing the net, streaming video, and streaming audio all work like I'm on my home wireless.

I have been casually playing with the different tethering options for the last 6 months. Both my iPad and iPod touch have the same issues with super slow speed. If I connected my laptop to Mobile Hotspot everything is fine.

I can only assume that Apple has changed something wifi related in IOS 4. So if you've been bummed about poor tethering speeds with your ipods or iphones, go ahead and try it again after you've updated the software. I just hope I get the same results when the iPad gets IOS4.
    Yes, I'm getting much better results with iOS4. While it takes a bit to get connected (I have to wait about a minute for the "Sprint doesn't allow this" message before it connects), speeds are good once the connection is made.

Whatever the problem was, seems they fixed under iOS4.
    Just got my iPad today and love it so far. I am running mobile hotspot on my Sprint Pre and am having the same slowness everyone else is having. Uploads are actually about twice as fast as downloads. When tethering with my Macbook Pro I get around 1.5 mbps.

Definitely something with the iPad. Glad to hear iOS 4 is better.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Can someone run a speedtest with iOS4 (iPad, iPod Touch) tethered via Mobile Hot Spot on the Pre?

Thanks
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Quote Originally Posted by NickDG View Post
    Can someone run a speedtest with iOS4 (iPad, iPod Touch) tethered via Mobile Hot Spot on the Pre?

Thanks
    Since upgrading to OS4, my touch's wifi is more stable. However, I'm still seeing download speeds limited with MHS to 100-150 Kbps while upload speeds are 500-600mbps. Results using speedtest.net and when in area of very strong Verizon 3G coverage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Farris View Post
    Since upgrading to OS4, my touch's wifi is more stable. However, I'm still seeing download speeds limited with MHS to 100-150 Kbps while upload speeds are 500-600mbps. Results using speedtest.net and when in area of very strong Verizon 3G coverage.

Are you on 1.4.1 or 1.4.5?
    1.4.5 has not yet been made available to me. Verizon customer. No modifications made to the pre + except for upgrades issued by Verizon and a few free apps downloaded from the main app catalog. No homebrew apps or patches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Farris View Post
    1.4.5 has not yet been made available to me. Verizon customer. No modifications made to the pre + except for upgrades issued by Verizon and a few free apps downloaded from the main app catalog. No homebrew apps or patches.
    Great thanks. I am sure there are a lot of Pre/Pixi owners who are using Mobile Hot Spot with their iPad so hopefully *fingers crossed* Palm is trying to fix it.

It's troubling though because I do see similar problems with Android phones.
    Hey guys, well I moved to the evo and I still get crappy speeds on my iPad, don't know what the deal is. With 4g I only get 500kbps down. 8mbps on the phone.

I wonder how the clear ispot performs with the iPad, speed wise.
    Quote Originally Posted by chris4434 View Post
    I love the fact that verizon is offering this service free but I don't understand why it's so slow with my iPod touch. On my MacBook pro I get about 700 Kbps but on my iPod touch I'm lucky to get 50 Kbps. I really wish someone knew what was causing this because 99% of the time I use the app for my iPod touch and I want to get actual 3g speeds like on my laptop
    One thing to note is that iPod Touch uses 802.11b/g which means slower speeds and decreased range compared to 802.11n devices. Now, I don't know what the Pre dishes out, but N devices (like your macbook) are generally faster
    Quote Originally Posted by shanshor View Post
    One thing to note is that iPod Touch uses 802.11b/g which means slower speeds and decreased range compared to 802.11n devices. Now, I don't know what the Pre dishes out, but N devices (like your macbook) are generally faster
    Supporting N has nothing to do with speed and everything to do with network compatibility.

If you have a network that has to do G compatibility, N devices have to run slower. If your mobile supports N, all devices can use N and the fast N devices will be super mega ultra.

Most mobiles use SDIO or I2C etc. for data interfaces for WiFi, most of which aren't capable of speeds above 10Mbps tops. So even 802.11b is faster than the bus speed.
    I'm pretty sure the issue is with Apple using a really cheap wifi radio/chip. I've had similar problems with certain models of netbooks that used really cheap wifi systems.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234