1.    #1  
    Does anyone think Apple's big OS4 announcement on Thursday will have an adverse effect on Palm's stock? I'm considering selling what stock I do have with Palm within the next day or two.
    your about 3 months too late, may as well hang on now and hope for a buyout
    Maybe... If apple adds multitasking, notifications, and synergy, then web-os looses a fair amount of fit's value...
  4.    #4  
    So far I have lost almost $1,100.. and I don't really foresee gaining any of that back in the near future, unless Palm does some drastic things like release prototypes, a major OS update, or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    So far I have lost almost $1,100.. and I don't really foresee gaining any of that back in the near future, unless Palm does some drastic things like release prototypes, a major OS update, or something.
    what was the stock at when you bought it? or how many stocks did you buy.,, (with either one, i could figure out the other..)
  6.    #6  
    416 shares at $6.53.
    Screen shot 2010-04-05 at 5.02.13 PM.png <- A snapshot of what I'm looking at now.
    well...depending if Palm gets a buy out, you may make some of your money back. The short answer is, if I could predict these things, I would be a much richer man.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    752 Global Posts
    Considering Palm must be cooking up some things for the summer, I'd say it can only go up from here. But you never know. I don't think an Apple announcement can cause much more than a small dent. Every investor knows Apple will sell more phones than Palm this summer. Whatever they announce Thursday.
    Id hang on to it. WebOS is far to great of an OS to get pushed away. Palm just needs to release some solid hardware and im sure the stock will pickup.
    Quote Originally Posted by misasi View Post
    Id hang on to it. WebOS is far to great of an OS to get pushed away. Palm just needs to release some solid hardware and im sure the stock will pickup.
    It depends who is buying. Apple/MS/Google may buy just to get Palm's patents, Palm's engineers and to put WebOS to death.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Considering how small Palm's slice of the market is I don't think there will be any negative pressure on Palm's stock when iPhone OS 4.0 is announced. You obviously follow the stock market and are thus aware that Palm's stock price has been sitting relatively stable at a hair below 4.00 for a while now. I think that you will be okay for the short term and may be in a decent position if another company buys out Palm.
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Does anyone think Apple's big OS4 announcement on Thursday will have an adverse effect on Palm's stock? I'm considering selling what stock I do have with Palm within the next day or two.
    I personally believe the stock is fairly bottomed out, but who knows with these things. Off the top of my head:

Reasons you might want to think about selling your position in the short term...

1. None of the (fantastic) Verizon promotions appear to really be moving the Stock upward.

2. The AT&T carrier announcement has already been made; and I doubt anyone is really holding out on AT&T being Palm's savior anyway.

3. Palm won't be releasing a new device for the next couple months, and I honestly doubt Pre sales are going to pick up dramatically in the meantime, as they're practically giving the devices away at the moment in order to dump inventory.

4. To hold, you're betting on the Success of Palm. A buyout price at this current stage will likely not cover your losses, and could very well impact you negatively.

Reasons you might want to keep your position...

1. Palm isn't going to disappear completely overnight. Rubinstein has repeatedly suggested that Palm is not interested in being acquired, and even at an increasing burn rate, they have plenty of cash-on-hand to easily see the first part of next year.

2. They recently mentioned their progress on a new device to be released this year in an attempt to satisfy panicked investors. Something will be released and they're looking to hire a new, better ad agency to promote it.

3. Palm anticipated very poor earnings next quarter. I would assume it would be quite easy to exceed the estimates given.

The dilemma is this:

Palm will likely not see $6-$7 prices again until a major "New device" type announcement takes place.

If you think the company is likely to succeed, you might try to increase your position in the short term to leave you at a lower average purchase price, allowing you to see positive gains earlier.

If you're unsure and you really can't afford to lose much more of your investment, then you should probably leave the stock for a couple of months until you start to hear leaks or announcements regarding Palm's device successor. At that point, you'll be relinquishing initial gains, but will be in a better position to determine whether or not you believe it will be enough to make Palm competitive again.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Go with what you're comfortable with.
    Last edited by Sayo; 04/05/2010 at 08:15 PM.
    i dont expect apple 4.0 news to have any major effect except maybe to the bottom of their current range. i think palm is pretty much in the range of 3.75-3.90... been hammered after their last earning report.

no one really see's them as competition and pretty much priced in that way... verizon could give them away and include hotspots and dont think it will add much to sales. the only reason it's at this range is because people are hoping for a future buyout or possible pop if the next gen pre exceeds expectations.

they are their own worst enemy now... a bad next quarter will cause them to hemmorage further down. if they come out with an exciting 2nd gen (and personal opinion would be that it has to be a EVO spec and form factor type phone) it might be good for a momentary pop... but if they announce a slightly revised phone with no front facing camera or mic api they are pretty much toast.
    Depends on your time horizon and stoploss analysis. Did you enter this trade with A) An idea of how long you intended to hold this stock? B) What your exit price point would be?

If you can afford to hold for a year or longer then your patience could pay off ...but it doesn't look like Palm has turned the corner just yet so the question is, can you stomach another round of even more losses?
    Global Posts
    625 Global Posts
    Coverflow multi-tasking most likely. I'll stick with Palm until the end. (just my opinion, love the interface).
    Quote Originally Posted by Sayo View Post
    I personally believe the stock is fairly bottomed out, but who knows with these things. Off the top of my head:

Reasons you might want to think about selling your position in the short term...

1. None of the (fantastic) Verizon promotions appear to really be moving the Stock upward.

2. The AT&T carrier announcement has already been made; and I doubt anyone is really holding out on AT&T being Palm's savior anyway.

3. Palm won't be releasing a new device for the next couple months, and I honestly doubt Pre sales are going to pick up dramatically in the meantime, as they're practically giving the devices away at the moment in order to dump inventory.

4. To hold, you're betting on the Success of Palm. A buyout price at this current stage will likely not cover your losses, and could very well impact you negatively.

Reasons you might want to keep your position...

1. Palm isn't going to disappear completely overnight. Rubinstein has repeatedly suggested that Palm is not interested in being acquired, and even at an increasing burn rate, they have plenty of cash-on-hand to easily see the first part of next year.

2. They recently mentioned their progress on a new device to be released this year in an attempt to satisfy panicked investors. Something will be released and they're looking to hire a new, better ad agency to promote it.

3. Palm anticipated very poor earnings next quarter. I would assume it would be quite easy to exceed the estimates given.

The dilemma is this:

Palm will likely not see $6-$7 prices again until a major "New device" type announcement takes place.

If you think the company is likely to succeed, you might try to increase your position in the short term to leave you at a lower average purchase price, allowing you to see positive gains earlier.

If you're unsure and you really can't afford to lose much more of your investment, then you should probably leave the stock for a couple of months until you start to hear leaks or announcements regarding Palm's device successor. At that point, you'll be relinquishing initial gains, but will be in a better position to determine whether or not you believe it will be enough to make Palm competitive again.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. Go with what you're comfortable with.
    I've read countless blogs on palms faith, and I have to say, this is the best one.. Some where pro, most where against, but none covered both sides nearly as well as you have...

If you ever start your own blog, let me know...

NONE of the ones i've read even comes close...
    Im hoping to make some cash off the chance that palm comes out with a new device. They aren't stupid and no doubt started working on a new device before we thought they needed it. Just like everyone does. We've seen some possible hints to this development but not much. I'm thinking they are keeping it secret because they are still clearing the inventory and expanding to other networks. They just ditched that add firm also. They may have something new for us soon. Palm pre is old news and they know this. BUT! If we get a solid phone like htc supersonic or nexus one, released on palms multiple networks around the same time no doubt the stock will jump. Everyone knows webos is the best. Palm just needs the phone. The pre isnt that popular but it got webos out enough that a new phone with the right specs would start a lot of buzz.

on the other hand palm could just be sitting around thinking oh lets sell the rest of the pre's and hope we make it out alive. Not likely!

They are making another phone.
    it will go over $6 when they announce a new device... this way the guys on the inside can make a few dollars..
    I hope they wait till the new dual core cpus come out, even if it means waiting till january..
    it will probably have a adverse effect. I'll be buy a few shares right after the microsofts talk and before palm brings there bfg phone. hopefully to at&t though