Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Global Posts
    582 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobross View Post
    What a bummer experience. I have a launch Pre that has the "stuck in headset mode", I developed the USB side crack and just yesterday the F-ing power button popped off and is lost.

Sprint has told me they probably could have replaced it because of the headset issue but since I have a crack (in the paper thin side plastic) they can't fix it. "It's not a known issue" BULL $H1T. So I have to pay the $100. Why am I paying an extra $7 a month again?

I've also learned that my month-to-month plan has been magically changed into a 2 year contract? WTϜ?

I keep reading about people who are on their 3 & 4th Pre seeming to have no issues with customer Service, consider yourself lucky. Sprint just stone-walls me with my phone problems.

Alot of people ask me about my phone, I with tell them to avoid it like the plague and get an iPhone.
    boooo hooooo.. cry me a river! go get a new phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by mozartkc View Post
    Aloha Menace
    IMO the TEP is a waste as long as you are still under warranty. I had an issue with my phone a few months ago (the screen kept freezing) . I went to the main Sprint store here in Honolulu and they looked at it for about an hour then told me that I would need a replacement because they couldn't fix it. I never signed up for the TEP and I thought oh hell! I just knew I was going to have to fork over some major cash. They told me that it had a warranty and I didn't pay them a dime. Needless to say I was very happy They gave me a new pre on the spot
    yeah thanks, since I'm a premier customer I'm going to be updating my phone every year anyways, so at this point it would be a waste of money since it has a year warranty lol. I had it at first for peace of mind, but since they had pulled this stunt about adding 5 more bucks to my bill just because i have a spending limit, is ridiculous IMO especially since excluding last year, but always pay on time and sometimes even early. has anyone with a spending limit able to get it removed on you acct for good behavior ???
    Dude I feel your pain. That's exactly why I dumped Sprint, swallowed their ETF and switched to Verizon and got myself a solid Pre Plus. Sure I pay a little more for service here but I'd rather pay a little more than have to deal with Sprint. Don't get me wrong they were nice and polite to me too and they even acknowledged all the issues I had with my phone but were unwilling to do a second replacement when replacement I received had a known defect, saying any replacement they would give me would have the same defect too. They are trying to blame Palm for having defective Pres instead of working with Palm to get defect-free replacements.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobross View Post
    WAHHHHH I'M A LOSER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    man, some one is wearing the angry pants. Do you want a nap?
    Quote Originally Posted by organix View Post
    Sprint is relatively easy to deal with in my experiences...but it takes some time to get how things work and how to talk to them. I usually like the chat feature instead of the phone, but that is me. Also, I think the TEP is kind of a waste since the phone comes with a 1 year manufacturers warranty. They are pretty clear that a replacement will cost $100, so I figured I'm protected for a year for free ($7 x 12 = $84 in savings...$100 replacement fee + $84 savings = new phone if necessary).

Tell the Sprint people to replace it under Palms warranty and it is supposed to be free.

As far as month to month...that person must have lied. They aren't able to give you a new phone without a 2-year agreement at the discounted price.
    What if you lose it? Without TEP you would be out 500 bucks to replace it
    Quote Originally Posted by rawvega View Post
    Sprint doesn't do month-to-month on new accounts no matter if you bring your own phone, pay for the phone outright, etc. You can't start a new account with Sprint without a contract. Seriously, Bob, pay attention to what you sign...
    I don't have to read it, I let my lawyer DR.Gonzo read it. I trust that man with my life....

As your attorney, I advise you to take a hit out of the little brown bottle in my shaving kit. You won't need much, just a tiny taste
    "When there is no more room in hell, the dead will walk the earth"

PM me your questions, If I cant find an answer, I'll show you who can.
    Dude.. you got ripped off.. and should have posted here first. The crack is an issue and so is the the power button.
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
    <--- service and repair lead tech.... I replace broken pres ALL the time, cracks, broken screens, chips in them. IMO don't go to a direct service center, go to INDIRECT service centers.... always get better service

Too bad, I would have replaced it for you if you sent me a screen shot XD
    I've had great customer service experience with sprint threw out the years. The local sprint store sometimes doesn't even ask for my phone number and just gives me a replacement of whatever i need. They've always been great to me and even though I might be in the minority I left Verizon with there admittedly better service because I never had nothing but trouble with their customer service
    Palm Pre Plus 2010 World Champion
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gotchu99 View Post
    What if you lose it? Without TEP you would be out 500 bucks to replace it
    Well, I've had Sprint for almost 10 years without losing a phone or ever paying for a replacement phone. If all 10 of those years were at $84 a year, I would have already saved $840. This is just a hypothetical scenario...I know the prices have changed over the last 10 years.

Anyway, I'm a Premiere member now and get the full rebate after a year. So the absolute worst case is that I do one of the things that aren't covered by the manufacturers warranty and I am forced to wait some time to buy a new phone at the full discount price a year after the initial purchase. Hopefully I wouldn't lose/break my phone the first month and be forced to wait a year. Most likely, I'd end up waiting 3 months or less which isn't a big deal to me.

I stress that scenario is the absolute worst case! If we add my next phone into the equation, it is even less likely that I would break/lose two phones in a row. That would mean, that under the TEP, I would have paid $168 in fees and $200 in replacements...or $368 in two years. But if I just lose one phone, that is $268...$168 of which are in monthly fees. That is enough for another phone right there. Is that extra cost worth it for me when I've never lost or broken a phone since I've owned one? No way.

Actually, I have an extra out. I have 5 phones on my account that I could use at any time to get a full rebate. This is a little unfair since most don't have this luxury, but I'm fortunate that the people on my account aren't that big on buying new phones all the time. Currently, 4 of them are up for full rebates and they are just sitting there. (Imagine how much they'd get if I had an extra $7 for each phone on the account? Wow...)

Oh, and another good thing to do is just ask Sprint for a full rebate. They will likely do it if you are close...especially if you are a good customer. For my wife's phone, I got a full rebate two months early simply by asking and emphasizing that she would sign a new two year agreement.

For all these reasons, a TEP is not worth it IMO. If you are prone to mistakes, then by all means...buy it.
    Last edited by organix; 04/06/2010 at 01:07 AM.
    I talked to Asurion today - and 5 people told me "no" until I got to a person who simply stated "I cannot waive the deductible" at which point I said "Who can?" at which point she transfered me to someone who knew the word "yes" but acted like she was doing me a favor (for replacing a refurb phone they sent me which had a faulty power button)...

so I learned something.. even if you are a jerk - just keep saying "no" to their "no"s until you get a yes.

they tried to tell me that the fact that my power button stopped working meant that it was physical damage, simply because a rep I spoke to 5 min earlier "wrote a note that it was" LOL.

apparently some people even get free replacements for the USB crack - but I was not one of them (paid the deductible the 1st time)

I was NOT going to pay another 100 bucks to replace a phone they sent me 3 months ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by BAbnkr View Post
    I talked to Asurion today - and 5 people told me "no" until I got to a person who simply stated "I cannot waive the deductible" at which point I said "Who can?" at which point she transfered me to someone who knew the word "yes" but acted like she was doing me a favor (for replacing a refurb phone they sent me which had a faulty power button)...

so I learned something.. even if you are a jerk - just keep saying "no" to their "no"s until you get a yes.

they tried to tell me that the fact that my power button stopped working meant that it was physical damage, simply because a rep I spoke to 5 min earlier "wrote a note that it was" LOL.

apparently some people even get free replacements for the USB crack - but I was not one of them (paid the deductible the 1st time)

I was NOT going to pay another 100 bucks to replace a phone they sent me 3 months ago.
    I try to imply your suggestion to my girlfriend every day, but still don't get a yes, ok, go ahead.
    Global Posts
    638 Global Posts
    Your not dealing with "Sprint" ...your dealing with "Humans" with different opinions and 1 set of rules- give or take
    Wow. Your experience really sucks. I've had nothing but good service from Sprint and my first and only Pre. I also dropped the $7 TEP service once the prices started going down to the point of being cheaper to buy a new one than to pay the $100 deductible. Common sense.
    I did not expect this thread to carry on this long lol, its all a roll of the dice
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    Maybe the Sprint reps do not like white guys with Afros?
    The Pre: Sux
    Palm: Alright
    Official app catalog: After almost a YEAR, still waiting for some prime-time productivity tools.
    WebOS: Slowly but surely (well, every other update) getting there.
    Sprint: Loved them for at least the past 10 years.
    My wife:
    Last edited by dbdoinit; 04/06/2010 at 05:18 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by crg28 View Post
    Maybe the Sprint reps do not like white guys with Afros?
    LoL
    Somebody had to say it, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    You can go month to month with sprint, but you don't get the subsidy for the phone, meaning you pay the full price of the phone (~$550).
    And often your monthly price is more. The plans they have set up and prices they advertise assume you are going to be signing a 2 year contract when you start the plan.

Remember all there are actually 2 different 2 year counters. One is your upgrade eligibility (one year for primary line on a premier account) and one is your contract date. A lot of time they are in sync, but they do not have to be. There are other ways to push your contract date other than upgrading your phone.
    Bob Ross, there is a lot of good advice on this thread that will get you the satisfaction you deserve. You can bail on Sprint if you wish, but eventually anywhere you go you could end up with a situation like this. And then, the only advantage you would have is that you spent a lot more money than you needed to.

And you can blame Palm for the problems with your phone. That's fair. But don't blame palm for Sprint's poor customer service. Anyone can get a dud phone, and despite what you hear, the incidence with the pre is not so much higher than with other phones (namely the iphone) when they first come out. If you liked how your pre worked when it worked, then get another one. It's a great phone, and chances are you won't have any problem with the next one. You are sticking around with a 2 year contract anyway, so you just might as well make the most of it. And since you are on Sprint, make sure you're getting your discount. No Sprint customer should be without one!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123