Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    btw, I have used a plug in charger at home since day one and don't have the cracks, my friend bought same day and has the cracks, I think that they must differ somehow.
    You complain a lot.
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Menace187 View Post
    so do you think that i really need the sprint 7 buck insurance if palm will replace it for me then, just trying to save some bucks since i have a spending limit and being charged an extra 5 bucks. i understand that if i lose it then im SOL, but i can always just get one from ebay i guess lol
    Aloha Menace
    IMO the TEP is a waste as long as you are still under warranty. I had an issue with my phone a few months ago (the screen kept freezing) . I went to the main Sprint store here in Honolulu and they looked at it for about an hour then told me that I would need a replacement because they couldn't fix it. I never signed up for the TEP and I thought oh hell! I just knew I was going to have to fork over some major cash. They told me that it had a warranty and I didn't pay them a dime. Needless to say I was very happy They gave me a new pre on the spot
    Sorry to hear your issues with Sprint customer service. I have had zero problems with them myself. I do admit a couple years ago they didn't speak English too well on the phone but now it seems all calls are directed to US call centers. Just stay on board with sprint buddy. Because as soon as you see that Verizon bill you will be saying WHY O WHY did I leave sprint...
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    As far as the 2 year agreement goes that always happens when you upgrade your phone if you buy it from Sprint or one of the Sprint phone outlets (Radio Shack, Best Buy). The only way to avoid that is to buy your phone from ebay, craiglist, etc.
    You can go month to month with sprint, but you don't get the subsidy for the phone, meaning you pay the full price of the phone (~$550).
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    A lot of good advice being given in this thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    How do you start a new discussion? Post a question? Where is the button?
    Go back and click New thread.
    Global Posts
    99 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Banger View Post
    You complain a lot.
    Oh yeah?
    Next time something like this happens try not to bring to attention some of the things not covered such as the crack. Distract them with the other issues and maybe it will slip by. Worked for me. Im only on second Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by mozartkc View Post
    Aloha Menace
    IMO the TEP is a waste as long as you are still under warranty. I had an issue with my phone a few months ago (the screen kept freezing) . I went to the main Sprint store here in Honolulu and they looked at it for about an hour then told me that I would need a replacement because they couldn't fix it. I never signed up for the TEP and I thought oh hell! I just knew I was going to have to fork over some major cash. They told me that it had a warranty and I didn't pay them a dime. Needless to say I was very happy They gave me a new pre on the spot
    TEP is not a waste when you consider it covers water damage, physical damage, or losing your phone. It would take you 70+ months of TEP to accrue the retail cost of a Pre. None of my phones last that long

If you're the super careful type maybe you can get away with not having it - but it's good for peace of mind.
    I really don't understand this. I had a first release pre and had problems. They traded it out no problem. I had a couple of different issues so they finally GAVE me a brand new one in the box. Sprint has a three-strikes rule so if you've had an ongoing problem or a similar problem three times, they will replace your phone with a new unit for free.
    Sprint's customer service was always very accommodating and helpful. I have had nothing but issues with Verizon and AT&T.
    I would try again with Sprint...keep your head, be cool and collected. Talk with a manager if you can and just ask them to replace the unit. They will and it won't cost $100.
    BobBross that money is in fact refundable, All you have to do is return the phone they sent you, Instead of being going with your issues why dont you go with an issue that everyone is having. Jump on the bandwagon, Dont go to a store, Call in to Technical Support, They can give you an exchange and it's free. Take it from a form Sprint worker, There is MANY ways to get around paying a deductible from them. Going into the store is not one of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by protofa View Post
    How do you start a new discussion? Post a question? Where is the button?
    You don't. Search existing threads and I'm sure you will find one that covers any question or issue you have. Threads are more useful if everyone posts answers into a common thread on the topic, rather than fragmenting them by asking the same question in multiple threads.

IMHO
    It's good to hear some have had luck with Palm's warranty. Just so you are clear on some of it, here is a snip-it

EXCLUSIONS: This warranty does not apply (1) to damage to the surface of the product, including cracks or scratches on the LCD touchscreen or outside casing; (2) to damage caused by misuse, neglect, improper installation, storage or testing, unauthorized attempts to open, repair, or modify the product, or any other cause beyond the range of the intended use; (3) to damage caused by accident, fire, dirt, sand, moisture or liquids, power changes, other hazards, or acts of God; (4) to damage caused by use of the product with any non-Palm device or service if such device or service causes the problem; or (5) if any Palm serial number has been removed, defaced or altered.
    Anyone who tells you that cell phone insurance is a waste isn't very bright. It will cover with the manufacture will not. Sure in the cases the manufacture replaces the device it is free, because it is their fault the device broke in those cases. When you have to go through insurance it is usually the user's fault, which is why you have to pay a deductible, just like with insurance for anything you choose to insure. Paying $7/month for the chance to only pay $100 when you do accidentally drop your phone on the asphalt is a great opportunity, send it Palm that way and they will tell you to buy a new one, at retail price (too much).
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsyeltzin View Post
    TEP is not a waste when you consider it covers water damage, physical damage, or losing your phone. It would take you 70+ months of TEP to accrue the retail cost of a Pre. None of my phones last that long

If you're the super careful type maybe you can get away with not having it - but it's good for peace of mind.
    I do agree with you there. If I lost the phone I'm sure I would have to pay to get a new 1. I guess I have been super lucky with my Pre. It goes to the beach with me almost everyday and gets used a ton. Knock on wood nothing bad has really happened to my phone. On the up-side, I usually trade in my phones for an upgrade after a year or so. My year is almost up I of course will keep my Pre as long as its running and couldn't imagine having a diff phone. If I lose the phone now I'll just upgrade and get another Pre
    I actually got 2 people from work to switch from I-Phones to the Pre in large part due to them seeing the overclock patch and the homebrew stuff. You guys really do make the Pre awesome! THANKS!
    Global Posts
    38 Global Posts
    Now Squeezy If I were there I would have to squeeze a hug out of you for calling me stupid . TEP isn't for everyone and it is like rolling the dice when you go to Sprint. I have been a lucky one and never had a prob with them so my outlook is prob diff. The Sprint store I use know me so that may help too. They knew that the Pre's have had some problems so they didn't charge me for a new 1 when I had my issue. Now, my warranty is almost up so after that I may consider getting TEP. For me I saved 84 bucks and that is a lot now a days.
    Quote Originally Posted by thekarens View Post
    As far as the 2 year agreement goes that always happens when you upgrade your phone if you buy it from Sprint or one of the Sprint phone outlets (Radio Shack, Best Buy). The only way to avoid that is to buy your phone from ebay, craiglist, etc.
    that is not true, if you buy the phone at a full price from sprint that will not re-new your contract only you you get the discount price.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobross View Post
    What a bummer experience. I have a launch Pre that has the "stuck in headset mode", I developed the USB side crack and just yesterday the F-ing power button popped off and is lost.

Sprint has told me they probably could have replaced it because of the headset issue but since I have a crack (in the paper thin side plastic) they can't fix it. "It's not a known issue" BULL $H1T. So I have to pay the $100. Why am I paying an extra $7 a month again?

I've also learned that my month-to-month plan has been magically changed into a 2 year contract? WTϜ?

I keep reading about people who are on their 3 & 4th Pre seeming to have no issues with customer Service, consider yourself lucky. Sprint just stone-walls me with my phone problems.

Alot of people ask me about my phone, I with tell them to avoid it like the plague and get an iPhone.
    if i was you i try an other rep, they are doing everything possible to retain customer, you probably got a bad one trust me, keep on trying but you have to be calm and collected when talking to them
    Quote Originally Posted by bobross View Post
    Sprint has told me they probably could have replaced it because of the headset issue but since I have a crack (in the paper thin side plastic) they can't fix it. "It's not a known issue" BULL $H1T. So I have to pay the $100. Why am I paying an extra $7 a month again?

I've also learned that my month-to-month plan has been magically changed into a 2 year contract? WTϜ?
    No offense, but you know that contract thing you were required to sign when you started your service? Did you bother to read a word of it? All 3 of these issues - no warranty coverage for physical damage*, insurance deductible, contract required unless purchased at full price - are all covered pretty clearly. You can complain all day about how happy you are(n't) with those policies, but you still agreed to them.

*Despite what some people want to believe, just because you see a few pictures on the internet of Pre's with cracks doesn't make that a known issue to either Sprint or Palm. Known issues are only sent out when problems are extremely bad because there are so many people waiting to abuse the system and get a free replacement.
    Global Posts
    367 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedo View Post
    No offense, but you know that contract thing you were required to sign when you started your service? Did you bother to read a word of it? All 3 of these issues - no warranty coverage for physical damage*, insurance deductible, contract required unless purchased at full price - are all covered pretty clearly. You can complain all day about how happy you are(n't) with those policies, but you still agreed to them.
    Exactly. I don't know how you could buy the phone and not know you were signing up for a 2-year contract unless you totally ignored all advertising, info from the company, and signed a contract without bothering to look at it in the slightest. Not a bright thing to do.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast