1.    #1  
    I'm about to get my Pre exchanged or at least repaired due to a screen crack. In case of exchange, can I still reinstall and use Need for Speed on the new device without paying for it this time, considering that NFSU is now charged for in Europe after being available for free during march when I installed it?

If I can't get it again for free, how can I backup the installed package from my current pre to reinstall it on the new one? Is this even possible for any app or do I always have to use the App Catalog or Preware?

Thank you for your help in advance ;-).
    If the backup process for the EU devices is the same... all you have to do is sign into your Palm profile and all of your purchased applications will be restored from your backup file automatically.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    If the backup process for the EU devices is the same... all you have to do is sign into your Palm profile and all of your purchased applications will be restored from your backup file automatically.
    The only caveat to that may be if the free version is no longer available in the catalog (which I no longer thing it is).. If that is the case , then the restore won't be able to find that application to reinstall... So, there is a good change that this may break on you. however, I would take a screenshot of the app on your Pre so you can try getting in touch with Palm if you can't get the app back and see if they can add it to your account...

good luck
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    the free version is no longer available and will not download, i doctored my phone a couple of days ago and lost need for speed, it is now over 7, with no way of getting it again for free
    If you can get your phone to load preware (the latest one) download save/restore, which will save your data. Preware will also log all of your installed packages (0.9.5.7) and you should be able to reinstall them. NOTE: THIS IS BETA AND MAY NOT WORK.
    Quote Originally Posted by laelipoo View Post
    If you can get your phone to load preware (the latest one) download save/restore, which will save your data. Preware will also log all of your installed packages (0.9.5.7) and you should be able to reinstall them. NOTE: THIS IS BETA AND MAY NOT WORK.
    This is not how the save/restore works... save/restore just logs WHICH non App catalog packages are installed, and when you try to restore, it tries to redownload those if they are still available. So, when you erase or doctor or swap a device, the Palm Profile will try to redownload those available App Catalog apps that are still available, and the save/restore will only down those Homebrew Apps that are still available.

In cases like this, where the app is no longer available, the only way to get it would be to try and contact palm and explain the situation to them...
  7.    #7  
    Thank you for your replies. Today, I sent my Pre to Palm after backing up most of the system files to my PC running rsync from the Pre's Terminal. I hope I can restore most of them once my device is back.