Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Given Verizon's recently announced decision to provide early upgrades to Pre Plus/Pixi Plus devices for dumbphone users, I just can't help mentioning the irony of it all. If Verizon reps hadn't joined the herd in pushing the Droid at the expense of Palm devices, then Verizon wouldn't have to discount so deeply.

Yes, yes, I know, this isn't good news for Palm in general. It means that Verizon feels the need to go to some extreme lengths to get rid of excessive inventory. But, they brought it on themselves, at least in part, and so I'm happy to see that they have to pay at least some price for it.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I think Verizon is going after the wrong segment in the mobile phone market. No way I see my parents using a smartphone, lol.
    I don't see it as verizon paying the price for not pushing the pre I see it as a way to get 2 year contracts out of dumbphone users and forcing them into 3g data plans while seeming to give them a great deal
    Well, I hope to take advantage of this tomorrow hopefully. The one question I would love to have answered is if the LG Voyager counts as a Dumb Phone?
    Quote Originally Posted by wynand32 View Post
    Given Verizon's recently announced decision to provide early upgrades to Pre Plus/Pixi Plus devices for dumbphone users, I just can't help mentioning the irony of it all. If Verizon reps hadn't joined the herd in pushing the Droid at the expense of Palm devices, then Verizon wouldn't have to discount so deeply.

Yes, yes, I know, this isn't good news for Palm in general. It means that Verizon feels the need to go to some extreme lengths to get rid of excessive inventory. But, they brought it on themselves, at least in part, and so I'm happy to see that they have to pay at least some price for it.
    I agree on the irony part, but I don't see it really as "bad news" for Palm. They still get paid for their Pres. Plus, if it puts more of the units in more people's hands, then that's good for all of us. As the recent "smack down" has shown, those that actually use the Pre like it. More people using it means more people liking it.

I've seen free BlackBerrys not only on Verizon, but on Sprint as well. That doesn't really seem to have hurt their "image", and I'd much rather see this promotion for Palm devices than others.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by newt45 View Post
    Well, I hope to take advantage of this tomorrow hopefully. The one question I would love to have answered is if the LG Voyager counts as a Dumb Phone?
    Yes, its a "stupid phone" IMO, but yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by newt45 View Post
    it doesn't have an OS so probably
    It's also ironic how Verizon was once struggling in the smartphone dept. and the Verizon pre plus beat out their own Droid (that they've been pushing) in the Laptop magazine poll, beating top contenders like AT&t's Iphone.

Go figure?

I've been happy with Sprint for 12 years, but it's definitely a good time to be a Verizon user. I also agree with hParsons. The more that web os gets in peoples hands, the better off we all are.
    Phones in Family pre> pre> pre> Centro> Rant
    , That makes me so happy!, that means I can get my Pre a little early! I just chatted live with a verizon employee who told me the promotion was not true, but then again verizon employees usually don't know whats going on all the time lol.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I agree on the irony part, but I don't see it really as "bad news" for Palm. They still get paid for their Pres. Plus, if it puts more of the units in more people's hands, then that's good for all of us. As the recent "smack down" has shown, those that actually use the Pre like it. More people using it means more people liking it.

I've seen free BlackBerrys not only on Verizon, but on Sprint as well. That doesn't really seem to have hurt their "image", and I'd much rather see this promotion for Palm devices than others.
    First, of course, I agree that it's a good news/bad news scenario. Ultimately, the more webOS devices out there, the better, no matter how they're sold.

But, that does raise a question that I've had: didn't Verizon (and other carriers) already pay Palm for the excess inventory that's been the subject of so much discussion? It's my understanding that this is why Palm's revenues were a bit higher than expected in Q3, and will be lower than expected in Q4... So, this doesn't mean more revenue for Palm, and it's just recouping money already spent for Verizon, correct?
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    the only way i see any more money going to palm is if this prom has many buyers, then maybe verizon will order more phones. then again it just might be a way to get the old out and the new in. pre two ?
    I unfortunately think this is a way for VZW to unload their Pre+/Pixi+ stock. If it was a plan to get people on smart phone plans, why not allow a dumb phone upgrade to any smart phone?
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by fearbasel04 View Post
    the only way i see any more money going to palm is if this prom has many buyers, then maybe verizon will order more phones. then again it just might be a way to get the old out and the new in. pre two ?
    I do think that VZW will be the release partner of the Pre 2. Sprint and AT&T have already chosen their champions for the summer.

You are right though, Palm has over sold their phones, which is why their Q4 numbers are going to be lower and why their cash burn rate is going to be higher. Palm will only make more money if they get that 400,000 block of all ready shipped phones sold.
    Master Pants, Lord of the Universe, Groupie of Blaize

Need help with your webOS device? PM me for help!
    Quote Originally Posted by 063_xobx View Post
    it doesn't have an OS so probably
    it has an os.. No os, would mean no phone... It just has a dumb os, hence it being a dumbphone..
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    Palm will only make more money if they get that 400,000 block of all ready shipped phones sold.
    Okay, this clarifies my question: hasn't Palm already been paid for all of the inventory that's currently out in the field? So just clearing out the current channel inventory doesn't bring a dime of new revenues to Palm... Or have Verizon and other carriers not already paid for the inventory sitting on their shelves?
    Okay, this clarifies my question: hasn't Palm already been paid for all of the inventory that's currently out in the field? So just clearing out the current channel inventory doesn't bring a dime of new revenues to Palm...
    Palm's been paid, but app sales and word of mouth would definitely still help Palm...
    Yeah, uhh... it's Kevin. (KevinT was already taken.)

PalmPilot Professional, Palm V, Kyocera 7135, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Palm Prē & Prē 2, HP TouchPad & Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by Complex Pants View Post
    I do think that VZW will be the release partner of the Pre 2. Sprint and AT&T have already chosen their champions for the summer.
    With Verizon's appalling lack of support for the Pre why on earth would they want to be the Pre2 partner? I can't see where Verizon would think that would be a good thing....wouldn't that further dilute their darling Droid's market share?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitxitxita View Post
    With Verizon's appalling lack of support for the Pre why on earth would they want to be the Pre2 partner? I can't see where Verizon would think that would be a good thing....wouldn't that further dilute their darling Droid's market share?
    I was thinking the same thing, although didn't Verizon come out and admit some fault in Palm's low sales, which is something I can't see them doing unless they plan on having a future relationship w/Palm.

Last week when I went to switch over to Verizon the sales guy kept trying to push a Droid in my face. I was getting pretty annoyed with it actually. I remember reading on the internet that Google was paying all the cell carriers to sell their phone.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by BORIStheBLADE View Post
    Last week when I went to switch over to Verizon the sales guy kept trying to push a Droid in my face. I was getting pretty annoyed with it actually. I remember reading on the internet that Google was paying all the cell carriers to sell their phone.
    Google is (maybe, not sure that it was ever confirmed) providing carriers with a cut from Google ad revenues for traffic that flows across their network using Android devices. And that's the important thing to remember about Google: they couldn't care less about the smartphone market outside of its importance in driving people to Google properties where they can sell ads.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast