webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  Palm Pre and Pre Plus > Pre Won't Boot!
Pre Won't Boot!

Old 04/05/2010, 05:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this question, if not, please advise where this should belong.

I was on the PreCentral main page, read about that SPB TV... so I tried it, was on the FOX LA page, then my Pre froze, after about 1 min, the screen went pink, then the phone shut down. It wouldn't start back up, so I popped the back open & pulled the battery. When I try to restart it, it's just stuck on that screen where it just has "Palm" in the middle of the screen. It's not going anywhere.

Please advise what I should do? run webosdoctor? I don't even have my USB cable here at work...

Any other advice? Thanks!
ruddogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2010, 05:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

try a few more battery pulls it's happened to me and taken 5+
063_xobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2010, 05:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

+1
Try the battery pull again but wait a few mins to put the battery back in.
There is also the tech reset - Hold power and slide the ringer switch on and off 3-4 times.

HP Please release the CDMA Pre3 phones!
We want them!!!
Finally Pre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2010, 05:34 PM   #4 (permalink)

neither one worked... still stuck on the "Palm" screen...
Old 04/05/2010, 05:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

then you need a webos doctor when you are able to access a computer
063_xobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2010, 05:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

ok thx
Old 04/05/2010, 07:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Same exact thing happened today.....

Got on the plane, did a proper shutdown, and once in the air it was stuck on the "Palm" screen.

Right before the "GLOW" happens, the phone restarts again. Crazy and annoying...completely out of nowhere!!!
katsnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/05/2010, 11:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddogg View Post
I've pulled the battery multiple times already, it just gets to the Palm logo, won't boot past that... i've tried contacting Verizon. They were no help. I can't even use webosdoctor, as the computer doesn't detect it. please help!
If you cannot reset using ORANGE + SYM + R, and your computer doesn't detect your Pre to perform a doctor, try putting your device in Recovery Mode first by following these steps:

1. Connect the USB cable to the AC charger, and plug the AC charger into a working outlet.
  2. If you can, turn off your phone. See Restarting and resetting your phone .
  3. Remove and reinsert the battery. See Replacing the battery on a Pre phone or Replacing the battery on a Pixi phone.
  4. Press and hold the volume up button and connect the USB cable to the phone.
  5. Release the volume up button when the screen showing the large USB icon appears.
  6. Connect your phone to your computer. The Next button becomes available.
  7. Click Next to continue with webOS Doctor.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules

Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 04/05/2010 at 11:37 PM.
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: ruddogg
Old 04/06/2010, 06:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

ruddogg
Hello,
I have to ask you: have you patched your Pre with overclock patch up to 800mhz(or other patches)?
Anyway, I apologize.. We're trying to catch this bug. Unfortunately, still on each of our 3 Pre's - no freezes.

Konstantin

Last edited by SPB Software; 04/06/2010 at 07:43 AM.
SPB Software is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2010, 09:51 AM   #10 (permalink)

I installed the 800 patch last week and have had no problems, apart from minor 2-4% increase in battery usage and little effect on the temperature. I've removed the battery pack numerous times, attempted a tech reset and tried the doctor twice, second time with updated Doctor. No progress. Please advise
KangaZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: SPB Software
Old 04/06/2010, 11:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

Today, I closed the slider on my phone and the screen "freaked out" (weird colors all over) I had to pull the battery. Now when I reboot, nothing appears on the screen (but you can tell its on from the faint change in color) and when it finished booting I can hear the emial chime, etc... so I know its on - but no screen! It did this once before and started working again after sitting all night long. I have the 720 kernal installed now, but didnt before and it seems to be the same issue. (by the way, I have my battery wedged in with a folded piece of paper to ensure proper contact as I had heard about the loose battery issue).
ToddPsyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2010, 12:18 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
If you cannot reset using ORANGE + SYM + R, and your computer doesn't detect your Pre to perform a doctor, try putting your device in Recovery Mode first by following these steps:

1. Connect the USB cable to the AC charger, and plug the AC charger into a working outlet.
  2. If you can, turn off your phone. See Restarting and resetting your phone .
  3. Remove and reinsert the battery. See Replacing the battery on a Pre phone or Replacing the battery on a Pixi phone.
  4. Press and hold the volume up button and connect the USB cable to the phone.
  5. Release the volume up button when the screen showing the large USB icon appears.
  6. Connect your phone to your computer. The Next button becomes available.
  7. Click Next to continue with webOS Doctor.
Thanks! Worked! I was able to access the webOS Doctor! now the phone's back to stock... with my texts gone, etc etc... but I guess that's better than having a bricked phone! I've uninstalled SPB TV...will NEVER try that again!
Old 04/06/2010, 12:34 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
I've uninstalled SPB TV...will NEVER try that again!
Don't want to be rude, but I completely don't understand users, who are saying that "developers are blame", when they installed unofficial patch to overclock their processes. Of course, it will give risk to damage device or even to kill it.
SPB Software is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2010, 12:41 PM   #14 (permalink)

orange + sym + R.

You didn't have to doctor.
Kedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by arcane, KangaZA
Old 04/06/2010, 12:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Thanks! Worked! I was able to access the webOS Doctor! now the phone's back to stock... with my texts gone, etc etc... but I guess that's better than having a bricked phone! I've uninstalled SPB TV...will NEVER try that again!
Sorry, but that's somewhat rude. The SPB TV application is solid and well designed. The dev is extremely fast to respond to issues and has gone out of his way to monitor this site for users who need help (not to mention making this app Free when other OS's have to pay). You've overclocked your phone with a patch that isn't built for 1.4.1.1 and are blaming the application for your issues? I'm running the 720MHz patch and experience a hiccup every so often that causes an issue.. but I can't blame the application I'm running because I'm running a patch not built for the current kernel.

Glad the above directions helped, but please keep in mind that you use patches at your own risk.

Old 04/06/2010, 02:32 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Sorry, but that's somewhat rude. The SPB TV application is solid and well designed. The dev is extremely fast to respond to issues and has gone out of his way to monitor this site for users who need help (not to mention making this app Free when other OS's have to pay). You've overclocked your phone with a patch that isn't built for 1.4.1.1 and are blaming the application for your issues? I'm running the 720MHz patch and experience a hiccup every so often that causes an issue.. but I can't blame the application I'm running because I'm running a patch not built for the current kernel.

Glad the above directions helped, but please keep in mind that you use patches at your own risk.
I apologize if that came off rude... I've used SPB Mobile Shell 3.0 & 3.5 on my WinMo phone for a long time before I came to the Pre. Great product, that's why I tried the SPB TV... but if you were in my shoes & thought that you had bricked the Pre due to SPB TV, you'd be hesitant to install that app again too. I couldn't run webosdoctor all last night, switched back to my OLD Motorola Razor to hold me over today... got to work today to try one last time & got webosdoctor to work.

Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 04/06/2010, 02:34 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kedar View Post
orange + sym + R.

You didn't have to doctor.
If we met in person, I'd give you a hug. You have literally turned my day from a ridiculous nightmare into a wonderful dream. Now to get all the updates and I'm on my way. Thanks again!!!

p.s. I didn't realize i had to hold in all three at once :P
KangaZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/06/2010, 02:53 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
I apologize if that came off rude... I've used SPB Mobile Shell 3.0 & 3.5 on my WinMo phone for a long time before I came to the Pre. Great product, that's why I tried the SPB TV... but if you were in my shoes & thought that you had bricked the Pre due to SPB TV, you'd be hesitant to install that app again too. I couldn't run webosdoctor all last night, switched back to my OLD Motorola Razor to hold me over today... got to work today to try one last time & got webosdoctor to work.

Thanks for everyone's help.
No problem...we've all been there! Try stepping back to the 720MHz patch and see how it goes. Remember though.. after the last update to 1.4.1.1, the kernel isn't the same so there may be some issues. You have to use at your own risk (as always). Good luck

Old 04/06/2010, 04:00 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
No problem...we've all been there! Try stepping back to the 720MHz patch and see how it goes. Remember though.. after the last update to 1.4.1.1, the kernel isn't the same so there may be some issues. You have to use at your own risk (as always). Good luck
I'm on Verizon, haven't gotten the 1.4.1.1 patch.
Old 04/06/2010, 04:12 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KangaZA View Post
If we met in person, I'd give you a hug. You have literally turned my day from a ridiculous nightmare into a wonderful dream. Now to get all the updates and I'm on my way. Thanks again!!!

p.s. I didn't realize i had to hold in all three at once :P
Just like the venerable <Ctrl><Alt><Delete> on a Windows PC
GenericMusings is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0