Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Hello All,

I am testing a Palm PRE for 30 days with SPrint to see if I like the phone and coverage.

I charged the phone overnight to 100%. This is how I have used it:

GPS for ~35 minutes on the way to work (not bad GPS system)

Showed off the device for a few minutes to co-workers (envy factor)

Made 10 minutes worth of calls

Surf'd the web for 10 to 15 minutes.

Played a few hands of blackjack

10 minutes worth of tweaking the settings

It is 8.5 hours later and I am @ 8% battery left.

I have the device downloading my yahoo, gmail and hotmail every hour.

I have display turned down to 1 notch below the lowest setting.

The device has been in Ev and 1x all day, with decent signal strength.

I did upgrade to the latest 1.4.1.1 successfully yesterday.

Am I working this thing too hard? My Sony dumd phone will go most of the week with out recharging and it is 3 years old with the original battery.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this device. I love the tech, but this is unacceptable battery life.

Thanks!!

Dave
    I use mine a lot and have to charge daily. Some days I go through 2 batteries depending on what I am doing.
    there is no such thing as working too hard on ur phone, for me at least. You bought it use it to however you want. You got to keep in mind your 3 year old phone did not have touchscreen, background downloading and other mumbo jumbo, so your comparing apples to oranges.

the battery sucks period, I don't care how I use it I got a car charger when I'm on the go, and I use the same cable for the car to connect to any computers at school or at work.

just use the phone as you want and recharge when you can, I seriously can't think how you go on ur day worrying about battery usage.
    Yes that is a bit 2 much on a single charge....my recommendation is to invest in USB microB charging cable ($3.00) for work hook up to ur machine and charge while u can surf, listen to radio, read email, IM all day and when u leave your phone 100% charged =)
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    just an fyi, when i use the gps without my pre charging the battery drains VERY quickly
    One of the things that are highly suggested to enjoy the phone to its fullest is the Touchstone Charger. If you have a desk job it is very convenient to set it up there and leave the phone on it while working.

No, you're not working it too hard. If you haven't already, you might want to turn off GPS tracking to save a bit more battery.

I get about 2-3 hours on my phone a lot of times, as I play VBA, a Gameboy emulator, on it which is very intensive.
    gps is the battery cookie monster, that thing will drain your battery pretty quickly depending on where you are and tower signal strenght.

Currently using: Sprint Palm Pre and Sprint HTC EVO 4G
    Global Posts
    350 Global Posts
    The battery life you observed with that kind of use is fairly normal. The battery life has slightly gotten better, but thats mostly for when you're pre is sitting idle. With use it is still fairly bad... sorry man.
    Quote Originally Posted by emailman View Post
    Hello All,

I am testing a Palm PRE for 30 days with SPrint to see if I like the phone and coverage.

I charged the phone overnight to 100%. This is how I have used it:

GPS for ~35 minutes on the way to work (not bad GPS system)

Showed off the device for a few minutes to co-workers (envy factor)

Made 10 minutes worth of calls

Surf'd the web for 10 to 15 minutes.

Played a few hands of blackjack

10 minutes worth of tweaking the settings

It is 8.5 hours later and I am @ 8% battery left.

I have the device downloading my yahoo, gmail and hotmail every hour.

I have display turned down to 1 notch below the lowest setting.

I did upgrade to the latest 1.4.1.1 successfully yesterday.

Am I working this thing too hard? My Sony dumd phone will go most of the week with out recharging and it is 3 years old with the original battery.

I would appreciate any thoughts on this device. I love the tech, but this is unacceptable battery life.

Thanks!!

Dave
    I would recommend getting a car charger. GPS is one of the biggest battery drainers - it's using the GPS device, constantly polling using the wireless location service, and using voice to let you know where you are. Plus, since you're in a car, you (likely) have a charging source right at hand.

Much of getting maximum use out of the Pre while on battery involves charging it whenever possible. Using it as a GPS is (likely) one of those times that it's better to have it hooked up.

Plus, you get the added benefit of streaming Pandora (or an internet radio station) without having to worry about draining the battery.
    Yeah that GPS/navigation use is a battery killer. Use a car charger if you're going to use navigation.

Also, from what I've been told, the battery stabilizes after a couple days and you might get a bit more juice out of it then.
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I would recommend getting a car charger. GPS is one of the biggest battery drainers - it's using the GPS device, constantly polling using the wireless location service, and using voice to let you know where you are. Plus, since you're in a car, you (likely) have a charging source right at hand.

Much of getting maximum use out of the Pre while on battery involves charging it whenever possible. Using it as a GPS is (likely) one of those times that it's better to have it hooked up.

Plus, you get the added benefit of streaming Pandora (or an internet radio station) without having to worry about draining the battery.
    Also, leaving the GPS finding your location all day long without turning it off is also a factor in battery drain. Make sure to turn it off when not in use.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

gps is a big drainer, but you may be able to get a little more juice out of your battery. Is this the 1st day you've used the phone? The phone is notorious for having a terrible battery life the 1st or 2nd day (or right after an update) as it's downloading and synching a lot of information in the background! Give it a couple days, but you should probably get a car charger regardless if you plan on using the gps. I would recommend the palm branded one as it just works better and doubles as a usb cable (in the past I would always get the cheapest one on ebay).
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the comments! I am not new to smartphones as I have had blackberry's since the 957. I currently have a 8830 and I talk on it a lot, surf the web, and we have email pushed to by the BES 24x7.

I am going to turn off the GPS and try again tomorrow. This is Sprint's 30 guarantee, so I do not want to buy any accessories for it.

Have any of you PRE users tried other smart phones on Sprint (best price for 5 lines). I am going to research the android phones for the fun of it, I will start at this fine website sister site obviously.

Thanks again!
    along with everyone else's comments, be reminded that the initial charge on your battery should go more than 8-12 hours. Keep the battery on the charger for a good 24 hours to get a solid charge. (you can still charge the phone while you're using it)

... but yes, ultimately you will find battery life is not as common as a standard phone. this is typical of any smartphone/pda with these types of options and screen... similar to iphone and similar to windows mobile devices as well. The only exception was blackberry - they do have one of the best battery life expectancies of any push mail device I've seen. But keep in mind blackberries don't have as robust browsing experiences or other types of apps as you would find on these types of phones.
    I wouldn't jump on the Android bandwagon on Sprint at this time. Obviously I think that the Pre is the best, but if you are looking for Android, it doesn't make any sense to jump on the Hero/Moment due to the impending arrival of the Nexus 1 and the HTC Evo.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

35 minutes of GPS for navigation probably whacked a good 20% -25% of your battery life from the start, so as other said you might want to avoid that if you don't have access to a charger during or after.

So using ~70% of your charge over 8.5 hours of moderate use...I'd say that's not great but not abnormal, especially if the phone is brand new. Cut out the Navigation and you're probably around 12 - 13 hours of battery life.

That said, on my best days of regular use, I get between 16 and 18 hours depending on cell reception. So if you're expecting to go 1.5 - 2 days on a single charge, that's probably going to be impossible unless you don't use the phone at all. It will take some getting use to coming from a dumbphone because you'll have to be aware that you will need to charge the phone 2, 3, or 4 times a day in some cases.
    Quote Originally Posted by pogeypre View Post
    Also, leaving the GPS finding your location all day long without turning it off is also a factor in battery drain. Make sure to turn it off when not in use.
    Sorry Pogey, I gotta part ways with you on this one. I really like the GeoStrings App (location based "to do" lists), and having to remember when to turn the GPS on and off sort of defeats the purpose.

On the other hand, I make up for the constant power drain, by recharging the Pre as often as I can.

That sort of brings us full circle. You have to learn to use the device the way it works, not the way you'd like it to work. To me, having the GPS always on is worth the hassle of charging as frequently as I can.
    I've gotten into the habit of just popping the charger into the phone whenever I'm not using it or the opportunity arises. Obviously, once your 30 days are up (if you choose to keep this phone) a touchstone charger would help here immensely.

But yeah, I just came from a Sony dumbphone and battery life is my biggest hurdle, too. Nothing I can't handle, though.
    THIS IS HOW WE HANDLE BUSINESS
    Another battery drainer is searching for a signal. When you are in 1x you are roaming -- thus not on Sprint's network and it is constantly searching to reconnect. So even though your phone is roaming with strong roam signal, it is still trying to connect to Sprint in the background.

You might want to try out the "roam only" patch if you typically spend time in locations where you have no Sprint signal. This stops your phone from searching for a Sprint signal. You just have to remember to turn it back off so you can get back to the Sprint signal and EV coverage.
    Thanks for all the comments! I am not new to smartphones as I have had blackberry's since the 957. I currently have a 8830 and I talk on it a lot, surf the web, and we have email pushed to by the BES 24x7.

I am going to turn off the GPS and try again tomorrow. This is Sprint's 30 guarantee, so I do not want to buy any accessories for it.

Have any of you PRE users tried other smart phones on Sprint (best price for 5 lines). I am going to research the android phones for the fun of it, I will start at this fine website sister site obviously.

Thanks again!
    Be warned, the Pre is never going to compare favorably to the BB on battery life. You're comparing the champ on batter life to the new-comer amature who is in the batter life "competition" only because he has to be, but who would much rather concentrate on playing music, find your way for you, connecting with friends on facebook, and getting your email - all at the same time. Batterly life on the Pre is one of its weakest points, and one of the strongest points on the BB.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast